YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll how to get a job?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Gorgeous-Nicole
Posted 2008-08-20 3:00 AM (#110247)
Subject: how to get a job?

hello, i just completed my yoga TT and about 2 months ago i finally got my certificate,
and hers is the problem, as soon as i get my certificate i thought getting a yoga job might be a
piece of a cake, but every studio is seeking for someone with experience,
i just get reject and reject and now i am so depressed. any tip? or suggestions?
i dont know if its necessary to walk in to the studio and leave my resume and bussiness card?
will i ever get a job?? i am so worried.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
siva
Posted 2008-08-27 1:33 PM (#110273 - in reply to #110247)
Subject: RE: how to get a job?

<p>Hello Gorgeous,</p><p>Sweetheart. I hope you don't mean you were expecting to find work as a yoga teacher? I'm sorry. But don't be discouraged.</p><p>Many of us begin teaching independently. We start with friends and co-workers, etc. Find a place where you can have a block of several weeks, or days. You might have to rent ro share space, or offer free instruction to someone with space. Put ads out and flyers. You might only have one or maybe two students at first, but you're teaching. And it counts. You have to do it on your own, and do it with love. </p><p>Search your community for teachers with the same certification. Let them know you're available to cover any cancelled classes due to sickness or other conflicts. Let the studios know you're interested doing the same. Outside chance there, something will open unexpectedly, and then go make a great impression.</p><p>If you're doing it for the money, quit right now.  I've been teaching yoga for 11 years and have made very little money. But it's not about that. It's more of a duty than a job to me. </p><p>Don't give up. Teaching yoga takes guts. I admire you and I'm senging you strength.</p><p>Best of luck,</p><p>Peace,</p><p>Siva</p>
idance
Posted 2008-08-27 3:36 PM (#110275 - in reply to #110247)

have you also tried Fitness Centers and Dance Studios?

Posted 2008-08-28 11:24 AM (#110290 - in reply to #110275)

my recommendation is similar to those above.

first, i would start with simply volunteering. it's a great way to get experience. there are lots of groups who would love to try yoga, but may not be able to afford it or coordinate it. for example, at a church or with a youth group or with a special needs community (such as a fibromyalgia group).

second, i would move on to fitness centers, wellness centers, and such. gyms often need new teachers and substitutes. it's great advice to ask to be a substitute, to be honest. it does get you on the list in case they need you at a moment's notice. the same is true of yoga studios, but it's less likely overall.

third, i would consider independent classes with your own rent/advertising. truth is, this is really better suited to someone who already has students--otherwise you're putting out a good deal of capital and not necessarily seeing any return for quite a while. it can be disheartening.

finally, to work in a studio, the best method is through connection with that studio. go to the studios in your area and figure out which one you really like. then, attend that studio on a regular basis as a student. get to know the studio, the students, the teachers. after you've been working as a teacher for a year or two, then approach the studio as a potential teacher there. you'll know them, they'll know you, and you're more likely to get hired.

and, even if it's not that long--as in, you notice after a few months that they need a new teacher--offer your services and give your resume at that point.

I work in a studio now that is rather "close knit." we have very high standards for our teachers, even though each of us is different. some of our teachers are newer teachers (teaching less than 1 yr), and some of us are very experienced (teaching more than 10 years).

it is very difficult to 'break into' teaching in our studio, and the best way to do it is to come here and get to know us. we do take resumes from anyone, and we do take the time to interview most of those resumes because we do want to have a good sized sub list and be able to offer classes to those teachers whom we like.

but, what is imperative for our community is that you are *here*. for example, that you take classes, participate in workshops, and hang out at our various events. we run more like a cooperative, and those in our teacher training and those who want to teach here. . .are expected to be here.

so that's the way in. you want in, you gotta be here.

Posted 2008-08-28 1:49 PM (#110293 - in reply to #110247)

Nicole,

What sort of training was this??

Zoe's answer above is so complete that I'm going to reverse-engineer your question, if you don't mind.

There are two issues. The first is the nature of the training itself (selecting one that leads to employability), The second is the responsibility of the prospective student in selecting a training in the first place.

A sound training prepares a teacher vocationally. That means the trainee should be able to both ask and receive answer from the folks running the training. Obviously a 200-hour training has a bit more to offer than an 18 hour (weekend) training though that doesn't guarantee that the 200-hour training will have vocational information included.

And that is where part two comes in. Shopping the training. If the prospective student "expects" employment upon completion of the program it is prudent to examine that before selecting a training. Of course if you just want to deepen a practice then you'd merely look for a training that deepens your practice. But if you're looking for peer support, placement, resume writing, marketing, et al, then that should be added to the shopping list.

I'm certain however, if you follow Zoe's concepts you will surely find work as a yoga teacher.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-08-28 1:51 PM
hnia
Posted 2008-08-28 2:34 PM (#110294 - in reply to #110247)

You gotta create a buzz around you.

Go to the studio you want to teach at and take the owner's class if available. You have to show the owner that you are a good student. Once you have amazed him with your own practice. Teaching there is a given. The will offer you a job if you can do the postures better than they can. This is what I do. I go to the studio and show them how hard I have worked at my practice and my yoga.

If you cannot do the postures very well, you should focus on being a good student. This is the most important part of being a good teacher. Being a good student.
Jambo
Posted 2008-09-01 5:05 PM (#110377 - in reply to #110247)

With all the teachers that have been pumped out through teacher training courses in the last few years on top of a recession with a decrease in revenues for studios, I think you would be wise to re-think your strategy for making a income. I just hope that you weren't misled that taking a very expensive teacher training course will lead to a living. Best of luck to you.
hnia
Posted 2008-09-02 2:24 PM (#110390 - in reply to #110377)

Jambo!

This is pretty negative. I think it depends on the state/city economy

Our studio is rocking. We have at least 20 per class at my studio.. usually 30 for the more popular classes.

I did wonder it the economy was going to effect our studio this year but this has not been the case.

Now, in terms of too many teachers and not enough students.. could be true.. But still I honestly believe that the better students will become the better teachers and they will make a honest living.
Jambo
Posted 2008-09-02 6:27 PM (#110399 - in reply to #110247)

Are you a studio owner?
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-09-02 6:41 PM (#110403 - in reply to #110247)

I teach out of my house, in the evenings, and I have between 2 and 6 students. Not really enough for a living, but enough to pass the practice along. Start wherever you can start. Gym, subbing, assisting, community center, friend's houses, ANYWHERE. Don't worry about pay yet - have a separate job to rely upon income - so that you can build client base and experience. Teaching yoga is a labor of love, definitely not a labor of profit, not at the beginning, as far as I can tell.
siva
Posted 2008-09-02 9:08 PM (#110409 - in reply to #110390)

hnia.<br />Yes. And where is your studio, what forms are offered, which are most popular, and how a teachers paid? And does anyone know why I have script in my entry?<br />Siva
hnia
Posted 2008-09-03 10:19 AM (#110432 - in reply to #110409)

I'm in the southeast USA.

We teach a lot of bikram, power and flow classes here at two different studios.

One studio is flat rate $40 and the other is $5 per student. I'm not a studio owner, BTW.

Best,
hnia
Gorgeous-Nicole
Posted 2008-09-12 3:06 PM (#110776 - in reply to #110247)

Thank you for all your support and advises,
i decided to goe back to my Yoga company, where i completed my certification,
and i also would looking forward to volenteer and subbing. this would help me keep up with my practice. Thanks Thanks
yogabrian
Posted 2008-09-28 2:40 PM (#111097 - in reply to #110247)

Here is my 2 cents,

1) Even in a good ecomony as a new teacher don't expect to make ANY money for about 1-2 years teaching yoga.
2) Forget the Studio's (unless you are teaching Bikram) until you have about 2 years experience. They I find are actually harder to get into then the Gyms.
3) YMCA! They take everybody and generally will either pay you the lowest rate possible or let you start as a volenteer and move to a apid gig should the class take off.
4) Community centers, rent out the space and charge a like $10 a head.
5) GYMS, GYMS, GYMS! Believe or not they are GREAT source for classes for new teachers. More often then not there are more gyms then yoga studios in a city/town which means more venues for you to start.

I started in the Gyms was able to get upwards of 20 classes a week through 3-4 different gyms at base pay of about $50-60 per hour. I did it for years and made a pretty good living at it. Also teaching that many classes prepared gave me the skill set to open my current studio.

6) Don't be picky about jobs or pay until you have a lot of classes.

This is the biggest mistake I see newbie make when the are trying to get jobs. Take every gig you can, don't worry about the pay, it will came with alot of hard work. New teacher always want too much money and never really break into the full time status because of it. IF YOU GET GOOD AT TEACHING YOU WILL BE PAID WELL! Make my words. Teach alot.

There was a time where I was teaching nearly 40 classes a week and most half of it was for free. But I got EXPERIENCE!

7) Be a hustler.

I know that sounds strange but it is true. You want in, you have show up at the places you want to work and make so they remember your name. No one is going to hand you a cherry job with no experience.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)