YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll Ashtanga difficulties
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Heafelomins
Posted 2008-08-24 3:48 AM (#110249)
Subject: Ashtanga difficulties

Namaste!

Well I am a beginner to ashtanga yoga and am having difficulties in jumping back in Bhuja Pindasana ...it is crazy I have been stuck there for weeks, also I am not able to completely do Chaturanga Dandasana, I think I have no strength in my arms, and I am quite afraid of the head stand and when trying to do Prasarita Padottanasana C it hurts insanely... Sorry if it sounds like I am complaining, but I am just really sharing and admitting my difficulties in the practice. Maybe it helps if anyone shared with me the difficulties encountered in the beginning and how they were able to overcome them, and of course I will be more than happy if anyone has any tips for me.

Love and light
Top of the page Bottom of the page
patient@44
Posted 2008-08-26 9:42 PM (#110267 - in reply to #110249)
Subject: RE: Ashtanga difficulties

All your difficulties and struggles ARE completely normal. I have been practicing ashtanga for about 3 years (nine months off with a hamstring tear) and I remember very well how challenging I found some of the poses. And for about the first 3-4 months of my practice I couldn't perform chataranga without my knees on the floor and I still can't jump back from bhuji pindasana! BUT things have become easier and I have become stronger. It took time, patience, and dedication. As Guruji states, "With practice, all is coming."

Be patient with yourself, be gentle in your practice. Don't push too hard and nothing should "hurt insanely" I have had one serious injury and it came from pushing too hard, too fast. As for other practice tips, I would discuss those with your instructor. If they are relatively capable and experienced, they should be able to offer you modifications that will help you develop your strength and flexibility.

All the best
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)