YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ashtanga = danger to joints?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

summerrain
Posted 2008-08-28 3:35 PM (#110295)
Subject: Ashtanga = danger to joints?

Hello YogINis !

I'm new to this community and I've been browsing through many threads with interesting posts for quite a while, coming to the conclusion, I'll just start a new one :-).

Well, I'm a 23 years old and started practicing Asthanga about 10 months ago, first only 1-2x/week, since May/June about 4-6x a week for about 2h. I haven't done any Yoga before that and not much other sports either, maximum of going for a 1h run 1x/week in summertime.
I've really enjoyed my practice so far and I'm really interested in getting deeper into the whole "Yoga-Matrix" (not only Asana).

Anyway, to come to the point, during the last months, every now and then I've experienced some discomfort in different body parts. (e.g. at one point I felt some pain in my hip when getting up from forwardbends etc, my teacher reassured me though, that it was only a sign of my hips starting to open, and after a while the pain was gone...).

It was about 2 weeks ago when I started to feel some discomfort doing forwardbends, particularly in the inner side of my knees (I think it's called hollows? - or are these my Hamstrings? - sorry, got no clue ). What's more,a couple of days ago my right leg kind of slipped off when moving up from Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana, which didn't feel to good on my knee either :-/. Besides I think I might be overextending my knees sometimes when going into Padmasana... As a result of the above, I feel some discomfort in my knees now, even when not practicing asanas, during the day.

So, the thing is that I'm starting to get worried that if I keep practicing for a longer time, I might slowly be ruining my knees (and maybe also other body parts) by doing Ashtanga Yoga, rather than doing good to my body - and I REALLY don't like that thought coz I love practicing!!!

So: what advice could you give an rather " fresh" Ashtanga-Yogini to avoid causing permanent damage to her body? (which I believe, or rather hope, I haven't caused yet....)

As I believe there are many experienced practicioners/teachers in this forum, I would really appreciate to hear your thoughts and advice!

Thanks for reading and have a nice evening,
Alisha

PS: Sorry for any language-mistakes, as you can probably guess I'm not native English-speaking. Even though my English is pretty good, it's far from flawless and I particularly have a hard time dealing with all those anatomy-terms (which I probably wouldn't even know in my mother-tongue )
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-08-28 4:43 PM (#110297 - in reply to #110295)
Subject: RE: Ashtanga = danger to joint

Heya.
Your concern is valid.
If you have no other yoga experience, perhaps taking some classes in an alignment based tradition (iyengar, anusara) would be helpful in learning how to work your body properly.
ashtanga is all well and good, but it moves pretty quickly. taking some static pose based classes could teach you how to properly rotate your bones and muscles as opposed to muscling yourself too deeply into poses.
good luck.

Posted 2008-08-28 9:04 PM (#110299 - in reply to #110295)
Subject: RE: Ashtanga = danger to joints?

Wilkommen Alisha!
Astanga yoga is very hard on the knees and can cause injury to some people. Try a variety of yoga styles and see what you like best. Yoga practice can leave your muscles sore for a day or two but should NEVER leave you with sore joints. Remember that you will probably be living with your body (including your knees) for a long time.
Deine,
Jim
summerrain
Posted 2008-08-29 3:34 AM (#110300 - in reply to #110295)

Hey!

Thanks for your answers, even though they are not quite what I hoped for...

I understand that it might be a good to get an idea of human anatomy and how that all works (e.g. like recommended by doing a different yoga style), but does that mean that Yoga-beginners shouldn't practice ahstanga? I can see where you're coming from. I know Ashtanga can strain joints/knees, but is this always the case?

To be honest, I would really like to acquire profound anatomy knowledge, but at the moment I just do not have the time to do so. I'm looking ahead to a really (!!!) busy and hard year of my life (i.e. working fulltime, night studies@university and writing my master thesis...) so I'm pretty sure that I won't have the energy to get out there looking for a new yoga style and good studio to start from scratch... (Keeping up my current practice will be a challenge already).

I know, I might sound stubborn, not wanting to give up Ashtanga, but is giving up really the only way out? Is it not possible that I've been trying to hard, pushing myself into poses (like Padmasana) I shouldn't be doing yet? Meaning that by being more relaxed and careful I can avoid such troubles? Or is that an unrealistic approach?

Nick
Posted 2008-08-29 3:46 AM (#110301 - in reply to #110300)

Hi Alisha,
Forgive my ignrance, but why can't you simply modify your practice so you don't get knee pain with padmasana-in which case you might have to stop practicicng, or alter, the posture? Pain is a sensation that is designed to stop us doing something-in yoga, there are a lot of people who think that they can work through pain successfully-and therefore are doing their exercise in an very unnatural way-I've seen in this in many forms of yoga, not just astanga.

Nick
summerrain
Posted 2008-08-29 4:17 AM (#110302 - in reply to #110295)

Hi Nick!

Thanks for your reply.

I don't actually feel pain when in Padmasana, just felt like a bit of "pressure" or strain, which would ease away after a while, but nothing that seemed to really endanger my knees... Maybe you're right and it's really been too much and my hips aren't open enough.

I guess I should also try to keep my knees slightly bent during paschimottanasana and janu-series. I wasn't aware that by trying to fully extend them I might be hurting my knees...

Well, I'm trying but sometimes I really find it hard to completely get rid of the ambition to "master" certain poses and to fully get the "comparing with others" out of my head. But I'm getting more aware of it and I think that's a first step.

Alisha
Nick
Posted 2008-08-29 9:36 AM (#110305 - in reply to #110302)

summerrain - 2008-08-29 8:17 AM

Hi Nick!

Thanks for your reply.

I don't actually feel pain when in Padmasana, just felt like a bit of "pressure" or strain, which would ease away after a while, but nothing that seemed to really endanger my knees... Maybe you're right and it's really been too much and my hips aren't open enough.

I guess I should also try to keep my knees slightly bent during paschimottanasana and janu-series. I wasn't aware that by trying to fully extend them I might be hurting my knees...

Well, I'm trying but sometimes I really find it hard to completely get rid of the ambition to "master" certain poses and to fully get the "comparing with others" out of my head. But I'm getting more aware of it and I think that's a first step.

Alisha

Hi Alisha,
Anatomy is indeed a difficult subject to master-so I try to give my students simple rules-one rule is "feel the effects of asana in the muscles, not in the joints." This applies both during and after exercise. Don't feel it in your joints!

Nick

Posted 2008-08-29 9:49 AM (#110306 - in reply to #110295)

It doesn't have to be all one way or another. You don't have to give up Ashtanga to modify poses that are possibly causing you issues at this point, or to work in some more alignment based classes that would probably help you. If you are doing Ashtanga 4-6x per week maybe you can substitute an Iyengar or Anusara class for one of those and that won't take any more time. Even some other classes, like even a generic "hatha" classes may focus more on alignment and give you more chance to work on it in class, though that can be more hit and miss.

And, you don't have to spend time you don't have to acquire in depth anatomy knowledge, Maybe that would be nice but working in some other type of class and perhaps picking up a good book or DVD on the subject that you browse when you have time would be a start. Sometimes the 90% solution takes 10% of the effort.
tourist
Posted 2008-08-29 10:47 AM (#110310 - in reply to #110306)

Expert Yogi

Hi and welcome. I agree that, as a student, you do not need to have extensive anatomy knowledge. That is your teacher's job. And even teachers do not always need an encyclopedic knowledge (I have far less understanding of anatomy than Nick does, for example) but they DO need to know what is safe and unsafe and they DO need to listen to their students and be prepared to give modifications based on what the student is experiencing.

The notion that discomfort in the muscles is ok and in the joints not ok is a very good one. A teacher also has to know that if the student describes something as pain s/he has to take that seriously, even if it seems that the student is exaggerating or whatever. I am not a mind-reader. If you say your knees are painful, I need to believe you! I tend to see a "red flag" when I hear things like "that's just opening up the area" or stuff about "ridding the body of toxins" when a student describes something as painful. And if the teacher says "do more and it will improve" I get downright scared.

Tell your teacher (again) that you have pain in your knees and ask for modifications. Tell him/her that you don't want to ruin your future dance/running/Cirque de Soliel career with a possible injury or whatever you have to do to get the message through. If you don't get any good advice, find another teacher. Or you can come here and the ashtangis can give you some simple mods so you can keep practicing. You can do janu sirsasana instead of ardha baddha padma pascimottanasana, for example.

Yoga needs to nurture you, not harm you. Take care!

oh - and your English is great.
summerrain
Posted 2008-08-29 12:23 PM (#110312 - in reply to #110295)

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's great to see how dedicated people seem to be here!

I'll try to get hold of a good book on the topic, sounds like a good idea to start with, I was planning on doing so anyways. --> any suggestions?

Attending some Iyengar/Anusara (or similar) classes does sound interesting, but I checked the net for offers and don't think I'll be able to do so in the near future. I hope I'll be able to find time to practice at least 1-2x/week once work and university start again in fall... :-/

What I'll defenitely do is to talk to my teacher/s about it. Up to now I've never had more than a slight discomfort in my knees, which I never mentioned to my teacher, because it didn't really bother me. Usually my teachers do take student's worries seriously, even more so if injury-prone areas as the knees are concerned! The teacher I practice most with is currently out of town, but I'm really keen to hear what he's gonna tell me... (I'll let you know)

In the meantime I guess I have to be particularly alert to how the postures feel and what goes on with my knees during my practice, keeping in mind what you told me about discomfort in joints...

Now I'm kind of afraid to step on my mat again... didn't practice for 3 days now, but I'll do so tomorrow morning.

Thanks for now and I'll keep you posted ;-)
hnia
Posted 2008-08-29 12:23 PM (#110313 - in reply to #110295)

You are probably not flexing the feet enough in padmasana and you are probably placing the foot too far to the side. Try flexing the feet more and guiding heel towards the navel.

Just remember that some people are not ready for full lotus yet. It may take longer than a few months.

It seems perfectly normal to have these concerns as you get deeper in the postures, you'll need that awareness and commonsense more and more.

The practice is telling you to learn more and to be more aware, etc.. you just have to listen.

Posted 2008-08-29 12:32 PM (#110314 - in reply to #110310)

tourist - 2008-08-29 7:47 AM

I tend to see a "red flag" when I hear things like "that's just opening up the area" or stuff about "ridding the body of toxins" when a student describes something as painful. And if the teacher says "do more and it will improve" I get downright scared.

Tell your teacher (again) that you have pain in your knees and ask for modifications.
Yoga needs to nurture you, not harm you.

Excellent advice for both teachers and students!!! Pain is your body telling you something important in a loud voice. Never ignore or rationalize it. Doing any pose in a manner that causes pain (either during class or later) is doing that pose the wrong way, no matter how closely it resembles that picture in that book, that picture in your head, that teacher, or that great student next to you! We all have unique body/minds and we need to honor that fact both as teachers and as students.

Posted 2008-08-29 12:44 PM (#110315 - in reply to #110314)

Although many people were able to do full lotus (Padmasana) as children, most adults do not have the hip flexibility to do it now. If you cannot bring both knees to the floor in Cobbler with a straight back, you should not even attempt full lotus as you will injure your knees. If you really want to do full lotus, work on Cobbler. (If your hips aren’t flexible enough for Cobbler, you must twist your knees to get into full lotus. The knee joint is not designed to be twisted and twisting it will lead to injury.) Once you can do Cobbler and hold both knees to the floor without stress, practice half lotus until it is totally comfortable and then start on full lotus. Many adults will never be able to do full lotus without risk of injury.

Although almost all of the thousands of Yoga poses can be beneficial to someone at some time, you only need to practice those poses which have a low risk of injury and are beneficial to your unique body right now. Krishnamacharya (Iyengar and Jois's teacher) always said that the yoga should fit the student, NOT the student fit the yoga. Find poses and/or modifications that work for your unique body/mind today. Tomorrow will be a new today where you can find new poses and/or modifications that will work for you at that time.
Nick
Posted 2008-08-29 1:21 PM (#110316 - in reply to #110315)

Hi Jim,
"The knee joint is not designed to be twisted and twisting it will lead to injury"
Sorry to say, but the knee is capable of twisting-in fact, it is designed to do so-in most people it is capable of externally rotating up to 40 degrees, and up to 15 degrees internal rotation. When the knee is fully extended, the joint surfaces lock, and no rotation is possible.
There's only one movment the knee isn't capapble of, and that is lateral flexion-it doesn't bend sideways-unless you hit it with a sledghammer, or practice padmasana wrongly
it would actually seem prudent, I feel, to take advantage of the external rotation of which the knee is capable, thus re-directing the forces that are generated in a faulty lotus, and instead generating these forces into externally rotating the hip joint-to do this, the knee muscles need to tighten-bringing stability to the knee, and therefore helping to target the hip joints.
Just a personal observation, look forward to discussing it with you.

take care
Nick
summerrain
Posted 2008-08-29 1:52 PM (#110317 - in reply to #110295)

Thanks for you great input JimG! (the "pain is a message" and "unique body"- parts, as well as the" yoga should fit the student"-part).

I guess I'd better stick with half lotus for the time being... I can't bring both of my knees to the floor when in Cobbler's pose. When I do Padmasana, my left leg (on top) puts pressure on the right one, I can particularly feel that in my right ankle (doesn't hurt, just not really a comfortable way of sitting ;-)). The right knee is the one troubling me right now.

And I'll leave the knee-twisting discussion to you - don't think I can contribute to that

Posted 2008-08-29 2:19 PM (#110318 - in reply to #110316)

Hi Nick,
Sorry for the inaccuracy due my poor attempt at simplicity. Is this better? "If your hips aren’t flexible enough for Cobbler, you must force your knees into excessive internal rotation to get into full lotus. The knee joint is not designed to be internally rotated that far and it will lead to injury."
Thanks,
Jim
Nick
Posted 2008-08-30 2:37 AM (#110322 - in reply to #110318)

Hi Jim,
That's actually pretty good Might borrow it

Nick

Posted 2008-08-30 1:15 PM (#110329 - in reply to #110322)

Nick,
Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow!
Jim
summerrain
Posted 2008-09-01 1:12 PM (#110372 - in reply to #110295)

Well, I had a good, but rather careful and "soft" practice on Saturday (haven't practiced since then - you know we girls get additional "days off" ).

I think sitting in lotus is/was really too much. My yoga teacher from saturday has had troubles with her knees as well and gave me some advice. I will talk to my (more experienced) teachers as well though as soon as they are back...

bobuboy
Posted 2008-09-12 8:59 AM (#110765 - in reply to #110295)

hi alisha,

i experienced similar knee problems a little while ago... my post is here: http://www.yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27246&posts=19#M109871 but if you can't access the link, look for a thread called 'knee problems' in the ashtanga forum. it's relatively recent so on the 1st or 2nd pages.

i was told to sit in virasana to stretch out my quads and strengthen the muscles that support my knees. if you can easily do virasana, bend back onto your elbows and then lying down (supta virasana) for full posture. i've also been sitting in baddha konasana every evening for about 20 minutes to open up my hips to avoid placing strain on the knees in lotus postures.

hope that helps!

bob
annonymous
Posted 2008-09-19 3:06 PM (#110951 - in reply to #110295)

Thanks for that suggestion on how to open up my hips. I have been struggling with the lotus position and I never made the connection that I need to work on my hip flexibility. I'm going to try those positions.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)