YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

short arms
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

annonymous
Posted 2008-08-30 10:33 PM (#110338)
Subject: short arms

This is probably a weird question but here goes! I've grown up dancing but I recently stopped, so I've been looking for something new to keep my flexibilty and strength. I have looked into different types of yoga and I want to try ashtanga. I'm already pretty flexible, so I'm not worried about that, but in the past I took a few yoga classes and I kept running into the same problem. My arms are a little short and I'm worried about how to do some of the different positions. I don't know if there is enough length on my arms to hold myself up properly. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what should I do?

Edited by annonymous 2008-08-30 10:34 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-08-31 12:44 AM (#110342 - in reply to #110338)
Subject: RE: short arms

I too have short arms - they do not touch the floor in dandasana. It won't stop you from doing anything - it may make some things harder, but it won't be a preventative. While I have enjoyed ashtanga, I encourage you to explore - really give a bit of time, that is - to a number of varieties. Many styles can compliment each other well, and teach you new things.
Nick
Posted 2008-08-31 8:27 AM (#110348 - in reply to #110338)

Hi A,
Not a weird question at all-I should think the majority of astanga practicioners would like longer arms! This isn't possible, but it is possible to lengthen or shorten the torso. I'm presuming that where you wish for longer arms is when you lift forwards or backwards during the vinyasa-as the legs are crossed, the spine tends to flex-the torso is then lengthened-over time, develop the strength and skill to resist this spinal flexion. The result should be that that as the spine is stabilized, so the hips and shoulders develop greater active flexibility-allowing the spine to flex means that it is possible to bring the crossed legs closer to the torso-but without any gains in skill-in fact, quite the opposite-all you are doing is potentially damaging the spine.
Many people also allow the elbows to bend as the lean onto their hands in preparation for lifting back-notice the exact moment this happens, and extend the spine strongly-you should notice that the abdominal muscles contract strongly as your hips lift off the floor-then you have bandha as a result of good posture.
Over time, you should find that the hips and shoulders then develop the ability to pull you through this difficult maneuvre.
Take care
Nick
annonymous
Posted 2008-09-01 3:16 PM (#110373 - in reply to #110338)

Wow! Thanks so much for all the great advice. I'm definitly going to put it to good use!
hnia
Posted 2008-09-04 3:28 PM (#110491 - in reply to #110338)

Usually the arms are long enough but the shoulders are not flexible enough yet....

But yea, long skinny yogi and yoganis got a big advantage...
annonymous
Posted 2008-09-19 3:01 PM (#110949 - in reply to #110338)

Hi, it's me again. Well, I've found that even when I go from downward dog, through my arms, to dadasana (sorry if that's spelled wrong ) I tend to get stuck. I also struggle with some of the positions where your required to hold yourself up. I feel like I don't have the lengh in my arms to hold myself up, but maybe I'm just not strong enough yet. Any suggestions???
annonymous
Posted 2008-09-19 3:02 PM (#110950 - in reply to #110338)

Hi, it's me again. Well, I've found that even when I go from downward dog, through my arms, to dandasana, I tend to get stuck. I also struggle with some of the positions where your required to hold yourself up. I feel like I don't have the lengh in my arms to hold myself up, but maybe I'm just not strong enough yet. Any suggestions???

Edited by annonymous 2008-09-19 3:21 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)