YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

stiffness and achiness :o{
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

rexall
Posted 2008-08-30 11:17 PM (#110340)
Subject: stiffness and achiness :o{

Sun 31 Aug 08, 10:02 am

Good Morning all,

I hope this is the correct category to post my question, and I hope I can keep is succinct.

After practicing vinyasa style for the past two months, five days per week (four at home and one class), I am still struggling to get some insight about why I often feel depleted and stiff after practice, and a kind of low-level stiffness and "achiness" much of the time, especially on getting up in the morning. I also ride a bicycle (street bike or stationery 35 min, 5X per week). Initially, I thought that the practice was "doing it to me," but now I am more inclined to think that in taking up practice, I have uncovered some incipient or latent "old guy" issues (I'm 58 ) with names I can only guess at such as Osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, neuritis, neuralgia and stuff like that. Two months ago during a 7 day, yoga intensive, my first exposure to practice, I experienced a lot of pain, so between sessions, visited a doc who instantly pronounced that I had fibromyalgia. That seemed (seems) unlikely as the persistence of symptoms over several weeks is one of the diagnostic criteria. On the other hand, he might have been correct or nearly correct. In any event SOMETHING is going on. While the level of medical care in Thailand is quite good, the level of English is not so good. I don't speak Thai. So, communication about this complex, difficult stuff is often disappointing and frustrating. That is why I come here.

Yesterday, I had my first (apparently of several) acupuncture treatments, initially for what I believe is sciatica, and subsequent ones will treat (or attempt to treat) the other issues I have described. I have never had accupuncture before, so who knows?

Obviously, I don't expect anyone to respond with alacrity about a medical situation over the internet. However, I would really appreciate any general thoughts about

(1) Not feeling this alleged relaxation, bliss, vitality and other positive results that one hears come from practicing asanas and breathing.

(2) Any ideas about this "old guy" business of generalized stiffness and achiness.

Thanks a lot. I always appreciate your thoughts and help.

Aloha,

Rex

Edited by rexall 2008-08-30 11:22 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-08-31 12:49 AM (#110343 - in reply to #110340)
Subject: RE: stiffness and achiness :o{

Is it only the one kind of yoga you've tried?
It may be that the style you're practicing is not the right style for you.
Different poses, different approaches, and different styles have different effects on our body, energy, and mind - and doing something that doesn't work for us, is kinda like taking the wrong medicine; it makes us feel worse.

Explore your practice, in little bits, seeing what changes make you feel better, and what makes you feel worse. Since you're mostly on your own on this one, you may have to go slow, but give it a try - a scientific experiment, if you will, and look for the changes for yourself.

Posted 2008-08-31 1:25 AM (#110345 - in reply to #110340)

am I reading this correctly - you just started doing yoga 2 months ago and you started with a 7 day intensive. And you have been practicing 5 days a week since? Perhaps you are simply overdoing it to start?
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-08-31 10:37 AM (#110350 - in reply to #110340)

"just keeping up" with others is a competitive thing in and of itself. (oh, I have no idea how long it took me to learn that one! /sigh; life would have been easier had I learned it sooner ;) ) for you, perhaps rather than going through down dog, you need to rest in child's pose through at least some of the vinyasas (the the chaturanga, updog, downdog between poses), rather than do what everyone else is doing.

it is yoga to do what your body tells you it needs - to listen internally and explore the inner landscape - not to merely play follow the leader, which it sounds like your teacher is encouraging you to do by not encouraging you to use modifications and adjustments after you have talked about your difficulties. if you don't want to leave the class yet, and I can certainly understand that, ask the teachers more specifically, "how do I modify this practice, while we are doing it, so that it does not over-exert me?" there are lots of things you can do for almost every pose, and they should be able to give you some options if you specifically ask for them.
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2008-09-14 1:12 PM (#110799 - in reply to #110340)

My take(s).

1. For some people, especially as one gets older, it is quite normal to feel achiness and stiffness in the morning. You have been asleep for 7 or 8 hrs. You might buy a new bed. Sleep on your side & prop your knees.

2. Any physical activity which is new can cause achiness.

3. Your body may prefer variation in types of physical activity. I used to do only yoga (& they were on the whole softer styles - not vinyasa). I found that I needed to work on my abs (for back strength), knees & wrists because of injuries. So I now alternate yoga & dance with Pilates, crunches, knee exercises and wrist exercises (against carpal tunnel). When I do yoga it is vigorous vinyasa or Ashtanga in class. In my personal practice I go a little easier on myself & prefer a lot of holding the standing poses after a few sun salutes. The standing poses in particular are very therapeutic - I recommend using a mirror & books at home for the newbie (as well as props - the wall, blocks & belts).

4. Try chiropractic or manual osteopathy as well as acupuncture. Manual adjustments used to be part of the Chinese doctor's bag of tricks, but not so much any more. (Although I have no idea about how it may be in Thailand.) You may have thrown something out of alignment during the intensive. That's very common.

5. It is not necessarily bad to work hard & feel tired afterwards. You are "in training" so to speak. You don't want to overtrain though. You are the judge of this. I would tend to lean on the side of your teacher here. As you get moe used to the practice, you will be able to moderate your level of effort within the poses better. Even the intense mental focus of a workshop by itself can cause fatigue.

6. Pay attention to what you are eating & when. The traditional idea of not eating for two, three, or even 6 hrs. before practice doesn't work for everyone. As you get older, insulin resistance may go up & the body may need to eat more often. You need to experiment & find out what's right for you. Some yoghurt, peanut butter, or even chocolate before practice may be helpful. A decent full meal, whatever that is for you, one or two hrs. before. Make sure you drink enough water, as well. I'm still working on this. I take a very difficult ashtanga (the main inspiration behind the vinyasa style) class on Saturdays, & I often feel depleted afterwards. I think this is because I didn't have enough calories & carbohydrates before class. It is hard for me to find the right balance, because due to other health issues (candida albicans overgrowth & irritable bowel syndrome), I am a low-carb eater. Sometimes I hit it right (I seem to digest a Starbucks breve latte quite well), & other times I don't. When I don't, I don't seem to recover until the next day. But usually the next day, I don't do as vigorous a practice either.

Moderation is yoga, too. Yoga is about finding out what's best for you. Good luck. Please check back with us & let us know what worked!

Sati Suloshana
Posted 2008-09-14 1:20 PM (#110801 - in reply to #110340)

I just read your other post under "Acupuncture". I think you may need some therapeutic abs strengthening. I recommend Ana Caban's Beginning Pilates Mat DVD. I also like Denise Austin's 6-minute waist workout but that is only on VHS and it's out of print. If you are in active pain, the Y's Way to a Healthy Back is good. Collagevideo used to have it. I don't remember who put the program out on DVD & VHS, but if you want more info. let me know & I'll look at my copy.
Sati Suloshana
Posted 2008-09-14 2:23 PM (#110807 - in reply to #110340)

More info on recommended videos or dvds.

David Swenson - Short Forms. (Basic ashtanga. Challenging, but you don't have to do everything. I always fake or skip tolasana, myself. I like the 45 min practice. There is a good guided relaxation at the end.)

Say GoodBye to Back Pain. I have a VHS from Westwood Productions. Contains the Y's Way to A Heathly Back program. Very very easy & gentle. Good for people with recent injuries. It could help with learning how to relax.

Baron Baptiste. it is the Live! series which I like. they are short. For instance, I grabbed Unleasing Athletic Power, power vinyasa yoga for beginners and all levels. 30 min. Haven't done it recently tho so I'm not exactly sure what's on it.

Denise Austin. Hit the spot. 10 5-min target toners. I do waist & abs.

Denise Austin. Denise Austin - 6 Minute Waist Trimmer: Weeks 1-6 (VHS, 1999) Apparently out of print but still available (videocassette only) from various Web stores.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)