YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginner questions ashtanga yg
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Nicolai Barov
Posted 2008-09-01 4:37 PM (#110375)
Subject: Beginner questions ashtanga yg

Hello,

I am a beginner in yoga but i try to find the good way so i have a few questions wich i have trouble with. Maybe you can and are willing to help me out a bit.

I train the 5 times sun salutations part one and two then i go on with the standing series and after that the primary series wich i do half now (i am a beginner) i practise two/three times in a week besides this i train karate 3 times in a week.

My questions are:

In what room tempature should i practice ashtanga yoga?

Do i need to warm up the body for i begin?

How far should i strech the muscles in positions?
( after the practiseday i have little sore in my muscles especially the hamstrings, i go for it 100 procent streching)

Must i do the sequence as i described or can i skip the standing series? and go on with the primary series? I follow the book from David Swenson and when i practise it cost me 65-70 minutes is that ok?

Is there a ending manner when you are done?

I practise this yoga since a half year and i have lots of benefits in my daily life but also in karate training. But there are not any teachers where i live so i must find it out myself.
Thank you for talking time for reading and even maybe an answer (s)

greetings Nicolai Barov

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2008-09-02 8:11 AM (#110381 - in reply to #110375)
Subject: RE: Beginner questions ashtanga yg

Hi Nicolai,
Hope this helps.

"In what room tempature should i practice ashtanga yoga? "

I prefer a normal ambient room temperature-means I don't warm up to fast, which might mean I over-stretch my muscles

"Do i need to warm up the body for i begin?"
Sounds like you might be going a little too hard from what you imply in the rest of your post-I came to yoga from martial arts, and I think they tend to tkae a much more aggressive approach to stretching-partly because they have to-muscles have to be able to stretch fast if you are kicking high, for example.

"How far should i strech the muscles in positions?
( after the practiseday i have little sore in my muscles especially the hamstrings, i go for it 100 procent streching)"
Again, in yoga, it is more common to approach the postures less aggressively.

"Must i do the sequence as i described or can i skip the standing series? and go on with the primary series? I follow the book from David Swenson and when i practise it cost me 65-70 minutes is that ok?"
I definitely wouldn't leave out the standing poses-especially you for you-stretching standing up is what you might have to do in karate, and also, the standing poses provide a valuable warm-up and learning experience.

"Is there a ending manner when you are done?"
A little breathing (pranayama) followed by relaxation (savasana)-I believe both help to implement what you have completed in your practice. All the positions make it harder to practice ujjayi breathing, and since it could be argued that astanga yoga is a type of breathing meditation, your practice should enable you to really concentrate and be mesmirized by the experience of pranayama, so you take more away from your practice session. I believe some relaxation at the end also allows your mind and body to register and form a response to your practice.
Take care, have fun training!

Nick
Nicolai Barov
Posted 2008-09-02 9:09 AM (#110382 - in reply to #110375)

Ok thanks for your comment. I think you made a good 'picture' of my agression in streching the muscles. I will train to be less agressive in the strech. The standing sequence is what i am going to practise.

Thank you very much
hnia
Posted 2008-09-02 2:40 PM (#110392 - in reply to #110375)

I like to practice in a warm room. You might want a heater/humidifier! I especially don't like air conditioning when I practice. Fresh air or heat is much better for me.

David Swenson used to practice outside and he doesn't not practice in cool rooms. He had space heaters all over the hotel room when I studied with him.

You don't warm up. You might like to shower or drink tea or coffee. I drink decaf coffe before i practice.. The sun salutes are the "warm up."

Being sore is normal. But you have to respect that soreness. It can go away after standing sequence and it should. If it doesn't you might be more careful with overstretching...

Namaste'
hnia
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)