YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Too much?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

asphyx666
Posted 2008-09-02 11:27 PM (#110413)
Subject: Too much?

I have only recently started meditating (about 5 and a half months ago) and am looking to step up my practice, seeing as it has helped me so much with life's difficulties, but I still have a long way to go. It used to be between 5 and 20 minutes, up to twice a day, at varying times - probably not the best practice. As of now I am doing 20 full minutes at least twice a day. I am looking to get up to five or six meditations daily. Will this have any real benefit, or is it best to stick to the formula of twenty minutes twice a day, every day? Will I cover more ground quicker this way, or is it a waste of time?

I have posted this message on other boards by the way, to ensure a variety of responses.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2008-09-03 10:03 AM (#110430 - in reply to #110413)
Subject: RE: Too much?

Expert Yogi

I am not an expert, regardless of my title here, but from my experience and reading, no, more is not better in terms of meditation. It is the regularity of the practice that brings "results" though results are not the aim. Grasping for more is something to be avoided in terms of yoga and meditation. However, if you wish to enrich your meditation time, I would suggest starting a yoga asana practice. It will improve your comfort and concentration while you are sitting to meditate.
Ram
Posted 2008-09-03 12:02 PM (#110435 - in reply to #110413)

tourist gave you a good answer. Swami Mutkanada, a realized being, has stated too much mediation can be depleting and harmful. Most people dont suffer from this because most people dont even meditate regularily. Meditation believe it or not consumes energy and then replaces it much like exercise. Dont overdo it. Once a day for 1-1.5 hours preferbly at the same time is ideal.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-09-03 4:11 PM (#110446 - in reply to #110413)

Write to me privately.

asphyx666 - 2008-09-02 11:27 PM

I have only recently started meditating (about 5 and a half months ago) and am looking to step up my practice, seeing as it has helped me so much with life's difficulties, but I still have a long way to go. It used to be between 5 and 20 minutes, up to twice a day, at varying times - probably not the best practice. As of now I am doing 20 full minutes at least twice a day. I am looking to get up to five or six meditations daily. Will this have any real benefit, or is it best to stick to the formula of twenty minutes twice a day, every day? Will I cover more ground quicker this way, or is it a waste of time?

I have posted this message on other boards by the way, to ensure a variety of responses.
Ram
Posted 2008-09-08 5:57 PM (#110626 - in reply to #110413)

Neel is a good source. You can trust him.
frontech
Posted 2008-10-02 8:23 AM (#111175 - in reply to #110413)

Six times is too much i think , the best would be from 30-45 minutes twice a day and i would suggest you to go for some mudra's at the time of meditation and i am sure that this would greatly enhance your experience..to begin with, practice gyan mudra at the begining for about 2 weeks and then you can swithc over to purna gyan mudra as per your conveinence...to know how to do gyan mudra and purna gyan mudra, visit here...
http://fitnessfundaa.blogspot.com/2008/10/gyan-mudra.html
http://fitnessfundaa.blogspot.com/2008/10/purna-gyan-mudra.html
zenmagic
Posted 2008-10-02 11:55 PM (#111197 - in reply to #110413)

I also agree, sometimes meditating 2 times a day should be enough. For myself, I limit myself to a morning meditation for 15 minutes after I woke up and another 15 minutes before I go to bed. Between that period, I just usually try to keep mindful in all the activities that I'm doing. Basically meditation is not just about sitting posture, but how you can be aware and present in all your day to day activities.

Felix
ronaldg
Posted 2008-10-05 8:47 PM (#111244 - in reply to #110413)

How much is "Too Much" really is dependent on so many factors that setting any amount or routine is misleading. Some days 2 hours is not enough, and some days even 15 minutes is a life time. It's something like, "How much exercise is enough?" How much food is enough? How much time in Yoga Forums is enough? etc..

It also depends on the type of meditation that is practiced. In the type of meditation I practice, the longer you meditate, the deeper you get ... ad infinitum. But I (and you) will get to a point where "enough is enough" or as another person that practices that method, you get to a point where you know you are done ... for that meditation session.

There are some meditation techniques that convert one form of energy for another, as someone here has stated. Those types of meditation are limited to how much energy you have to invest.

Edited by ronaldg 2008-10-05 8:49 PM
stanc
Posted 2008-10-08 12:47 PM (#111284 - in reply to #110413)

I find practicing mediation to be more rewarding if done consistently at a specific time which means quality is just as important as quantity as our body and mind can be different throughout the day so it's best to try other times to see what works for you.
tannage
Posted 2008-10-15 11:19 AM (#111391 - in reply to #110413)

It's possible to do too much meditation. When I first started to meditate I went at it hell for leather, doing as many hours as I could thinking that more practise will lead to greater progress and more power.

Well we all know that's not true. Regular practise over a long period of time is what will bring about the greatest change, be it 5, 10 or 30 minutes a day spent meditating. Whilst longer periods spent meditating will allow you to go deeper, it should not be forced e.g. "I <i>WILL</i> meditate till I achieve X", meditating with an intent or goal in mind other than your chosen single point of focus is not meditation.
___
http://www.meditationcushionsblog.com

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)