YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

learning basics of pilates?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

mike_27
Posted 2008-09-05 6:34 PM (#110540)
Subject: learning basics of pilates?

Let me just start off by saying I know less than zero about yoga or pilates. And although I understand any beginners class would be very understanding and patient I just like to know (and practice) the basics before I start any kind of class. Any kind of instructionals or anything anybody can recommend for me that I can use to practice a little, so I don't go into my first class completely clueless? thanx
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2008-09-05 8:28 PM (#110545 - in reply to #110540)
Subject: RE: learning basics of pilates?

Expert Yogi

mike - you have no idea of how hard that question is to answer! So much depends on the style of yoga, the "brand" of Pilates and many other factors. At this time of year it is common to have lots of free introductory classes. While I understand the urge to not look like a complete newbie, sometimes it is better and easier to just go to the class and admit your newness and go with the flow. Or you could get some videos and try stuff out at home, though you still will not get the flavour of a live class. Let us know how you do!
Mykie
Posted 2008-11-07 8:25 AM (#111824 - in reply to #110540)

I am very much a beginner -- attending classes 3 times a week since January of both hatha yoga and pilates. The most important thing I practice is breathing. I breathe deeply and slowly into the movements. So, please remember to not hold your breath which is something we may do without thinking about it. B r e a t h e.

Pilates and yoga have some similarities. A focus of pilates is core strength. I breathe of course and also hold in my core as though a string is pulling my belly button into my back. Do this easily though, not forcefully.

I felt that I could give you good guidance from another beginner's perspective. I am not a teacher!! But these two concepts helped me immensely. Enjoy.

Posted 2011-03-03 3:41 AM (#202923 - in reply to #111824)

begginers classes are suitable for everyone. you won't feel lost, there are many others in your situation.
good luck
rose11
Posted 2011-04-15 3:40 AM (#208135 - in reply to #110540)
Subject: Re: learning basics of pilates?

Hello Mice,
You want general instruction about Pilates. Start to read Pilates basic instruction book by Jillian Hessel. This book gives most of the idea about Pilates. But for best result you need to join Pilates classes only. In classes we are using new technical equipment. Pilates classes is not lost, it has great future for health.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)