YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kapotasana : Fainting
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

grimmly2007
Posted 2008-09-14 2:46 PM (#110809)
Subject: Kapotasana : Fainting

Strange experience today. Was watching the Italian Grand Prix and during the adverts I decided to work on developing my Kapotasana (had done Primary plus intermediate up to kapotasana earlier this morning). So following the yoga journal article approach http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/1776, I decided to get on my knees with this low coffee table behind me and lay back over that and kind of get into a supported Kapotasana. That was OK felt quite intense but OK, started coming up (finding this really hard at the moment)...........next thing I know is I'm waking up as if I'd had a nap, Laying on the floor with my glasses twisted on my face and the arm badly bent. Strange thinks I, don't remember laying down for a nap and here on the floor rather than the sofa even stranger. Noticed the Grand prix had started again, lap 7. Got up started to fix my glasses but felt light headed and a little queasy so layed down for a minute where it dawned on me that I must have past out coming up from Kapotasana and landed heavily enough to bend my glasses. Very strange experience. Googled fainting/passing out in back bends and found a couple of things but not a lot, anyone else heard of this. Think it might be because I didn't bring my chin in to my chest before coming up thus trapping a nerve or something. Be good to hear from anyone who's had a similar experience or heard of it happening to anyone else and If they have a better explanation for why it happened.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
patient@44
Posted 2008-09-14 3:00 PM (#110811 - in reply to #110809)
Subject: RE: Kapotasana : Fainting

I would get someone you know to drive you to the ER to make sure you don't have something more serious going on. It's one thing to get a little light headed coming out of a back bend, it's a completely different thing to pass out for an undetermined length of time. Please seek medical evaluation asap.

Wishing you health,

Carol
patient@44
Posted 2008-09-14 3:07 PM (#110812 - in reply to #110809)

by the way, I am a registered nurse.
Please have this evaluated.
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-09-14 3:29 PM (#110813 - in reply to #110809)

Though I'm no health professional - I'm going to second the recommendation that you get checked out thoroughly. Given my experience with doctors and yoga injuries, you might want to make it clear that "don't do that" isn't quite the answer that will work for you at all, but I wouldn't write this off as just some "strange thing". Brown outs are one thing, in extended inversions, but you don't even describe going through that. I know it's really easy to write it off and say "well, if it ever happens again, maybe", but what if isn't worth the risk for something like this.
hnia
Posted 2008-09-15 8:35 AM (#110818 - in reply to #110809)

No sure what to say. But the exit for Kapotasana is not tucking the chin. The head comes up last, when you are vertical.

good luck,

hnia
grimmly2007
Posted 2008-09-15 9:25 AM (#110819 - in reply to #110809)

thanks hnia I thought the head came up last, so I was doing it right, very Strange. Patient44, took your advice and went to the doctor this morning. She thinks i'm fine but thinks I might have a virus, lot of flu going around at the moment it seems. having blood tests and ECG to be on the safe side though, might as well haven't seen a doctor for five years or so.
hnia
Posted 2008-09-15 10:10 AM (#110820 - in reply to #110819)

Good news Grim.

Hey, have you seen Kino's new DVD? She has a section called Strength which is all about jumping back.

She says that you have to learn to fold the rib cage inward and she has several prep exercises for jumping back and through.. check it out...

hnia
ankali
Posted 2008-09-15 10:44 AM (#110821 - in reply to #110809)

my teacher told us that something like that happened to him once while he was practicing strong backbends in his younger years (he's just turned 70... it's one of these events that brought him to study yoga in more depth and become a teacher later)
anyway, he says that fainting can happen if you practice strong back bends, especially if tilting your head back, without drawing your shoulder blades closer together.

Edited by ankali 2008-09-15 10:45 AM
Bay Guy
Posted 2008-09-15 10:03 PM (#110832 - in reply to #110821)

Expert Yogi

This is not so complex, and it is common. If you are doing a deep backbend, you can stretch your diaphragm so that you don't breath well (limiting O2 to your brain). It's actually much more of a problem in standing backbends, especially if you come to them relatively unprepared for backbending and/or in a hot yoga setting -- typical of the first big backbend in a Bikram class, e.g., or in some vinyasa styles. Basically, if you prepare more, with lighter backbends first, go slow, and keep a good focus on your breath, this should not happen. (There are instances of folks passing out in Bikram teacher training on the standing backbend & wacking their heads hard enough to need 911.)

... bf
failedYogi
Posted 2012-04-12 12:02 AM (#210333 - in reply to #110809)

New User

I had been sitting on a ball at work. Got bored. Decided to stretch backwards over the ball (supported wheel, I suppose) and started walking my hands down the file cabinet that is behind my desk.

I recall a kind of x-ray moment in which I was dimly aware of my arm position against the flat of the cabinet. There was no pain, it felt like going to sleep except very sudden.

Then I was on the carpet. I bounced to my feet stammering about having had "some kind of seisure." I was not light headed. There was no pain, in fact I kinda felt like I had been asleep. My co-workers were all around me because I guess I made a hell of a racket hitting that cabinet. But they all say I was out for but a second.

Went to ER. Nothing residual. Weird. Now they will not let me sit on the ball.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)