YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to say goodbye and thanks
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

cyrus
Posted 2008-09-19 3:29 PM (#110955)
Subject: How to say goodbye and thanks

I was looking around for an appropriate blog here to ask this question. If another addresses this issue, please feel free to direct me to that one.

" What is the protocol for leaving one teacher for another?"

Ok, so what's my change based on?

I started with a local Power Vinyasa 3 years ago. This was my first intro to Yoga, outside of some exercise tapes that initially peeked my interest. I moved to another city after a couple of months for work and started a Bikram practice which lasted several months before I had to move again. No problem breaking there, because it was due to work!!! Everybody understood and wished me the best of luck in both cases.

I started with a local Power Vinyasa again, and have been there for almost 2 years (I had a period where I traveled for 6 months, but I kept in touch with my instructor).

I'm advancing in my practice, or so I thought. A couple of thing that irked me about my current place was a lack of structure and spirituality. I had spoken with my instructor about this and it was stated that a majority of the students might feel alienated if Oms and Sanskrit prayers were introduced -- which I appreciate and understand, it's a source of income for that person and as a business person, one must cater to the client.

I recently took an Ashtanga Primary Series course. The "or so I thought" comment relates to this.

Hmmm, I enjoyed it very much (easy enough). There was an addressing of the spiritual aspect, it was extremely structured (extremely challenging) and I really enjoyed the aspect of hands on training -- someone (either the instructor or assistant) there to push the hands a little closer, or pull you back to a straight spine -- basically "someone to watch over."

It reminded me of my time in the military - It's embedded in my system that I want some pushing me. My inner dialogue is strong enough, but a good Guru/Guruji is better. Something I learned from my Martial Arts days as well.

From all of this I have developed a sense of loyalty as well -- hence the dilemma.

Ok, you know what I'm asking -- Any suggestions??? Anybody have any experience with this???

Thank you in advance for your candid responses.

Namaste.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-09-19 6:01 PM (#110957 - in reply to #110955)
Subject: RE: How to say goodbye and thanks

cyrus - 2008-09-19 12:29 PM

" What is the protocol for leaving one teacher for another?"

I don't think that there is a protocol. My suggestion is to start taking classes with the new teacher that you prefer and stop the classes with the teacher that you don't like as much without further ado. Teachers are used to students coming and going and often coming back again for a great variety of reasons, mostly without explanations. If you were taking private one on one lessons, I would tell that teacher that you will not be coming any more so that they know that time in their schedule is now free. If you have taken classes on a regular basis with a single teacher for several years, I would suggest talking to them about your change and your reasons why only out of courtesy. Otherwise, I wouldn't think any more about it than if I dropped a Spanish class and started a French class at the local university.

If you personally need a sense of closure, feel free to talk to the teacher.
cyrus
Posted 2008-09-20 9:58 AM (#110963 - in reply to #110957)
Subject: RE: How to say goodbye and thanks

Thanks for your time and the advice. I appreciate it.

Take care

Posted 2008-09-20 2:27 PM (#110969 - in reply to #110955)
Subject: RE: How to say goodbye and tha

Cyrus,

You raise several interesting points in your post.
The primary one you've outlined is transitioning from one practice, teacher or venue to another. And the short answer to that is that the protocol is based solely on relationship.

By relationship I refer to the three relationships that embody yoga: the relationship with the Self, with others, and with the planet. Therefore if you have a relationship of connection with the current teacher you may very well opt for a protocol of chatting with them.

Any Yoga teacher worth their salt would not only understand your move but also respect it- you are a growing entity (hopefully). Each teacher either makes a contribution toward moving you closer to your purpose or not. In this way not every teacher is right for every student. Likewise, not every student is right for every teacher. It would be slightly naive to think that you'd remain with one teacher over the life of a growing practice. Of course if you have a teacher of great value, a longer stint might ensue. But "great value" may not be one who caters to the whims of their clientele with the rationale of "it's a business".

It is a business but it's a business secondarily. In order for yoga to be held (as we are merely guardians of it) it must be the prime directive and therefore it should be shared in integrity. A business is crafted around that and it's quite difficult. But I find it less than respectful of Yoga itself to dilute it so it is more popular.

A more honest answer from the folks you questioned about the spirituality at the studio may be "we do not deeply find the value in that and therefore we are willing to not do it and still feel completely comfortable calling what we offer yoga". After all, that's exactly what they said, even though it's wrapped in the veil of capitalism.

There is one other point I'd like to touch on and that is the nature of your practice relative to the nature of your consciousness. They do, on first glance, go together. You've outlined several very active or Yang practices and mentioned your military background, martial arts, and the attachment to structure.

As a yoga teacher once I've developed a relationship with a student I begin to craft the practice in a way that suits their individual life. In your case this begs the question of whether you are having order, discipline, rigor, and tapas, tempered by your teacher and the practice he/she is sharing. It is, for now, a rhetorical question for you to consider. Of course it is perfectly fine to continue on "as is" if your are deeply served by such a thing across the entire fabric of your life.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)