YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

stepping forward from down dog
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

rara134
Posted 2008-09-24 6:39 PM (#111022)
Subject: stepping forward from down dog

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help students who have diffuculty stepping forward from down dog? I use sun salutaions in most of my classes and a few of my students have trouble stepping the foot forward from downdog to Warrior I or Warrior II. I have them lift the leg high in down dog before they step foward. Is there a specific muscle or area that makes it diffucult for some people?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hnia
Posted 2008-09-25 9:11 AM (#111036 - in reply to #111022)
Subject: RE: stepping forward from down dog

They are stepping too far forward. Have them step halfway and learn from that...
Orbilia
Posted 2008-09-25 9:59 AM (#111037 - in reply to #111036)

And then there are folk like me with ultra tight leg muscles and dodgy knees who find the whole thing just too darn risky to contemplate

Fee
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-09-25 1:56 PM (#111045 - in reply to #111022)

It's not just about the legs. It's about core also, but that's not the complete package either. Keeping the chest area open is the part that is usually forgotten with most people. Instructing your students to look forward as they engage, keep the hips high and then step forward might help remind them. Good luck.
hnia
Posted 2008-09-25 2:01 PM (#111047 - in reply to #111022)

I remember when I first started teaching. I have some real newbies in the class and one of them completely fall over trying to step forward from downdog to uttanasana. It was scary.

It seemed like a such a simple thing too. I think her weight was the biggest problem...

OrangeMat
Posted 2008-09-25 2:49 PM (#111048 - in reply to #111047)

hnia, it's a lot harder than we think. More often than not, I tell my students to come down to the knees first, bring the foot forward into proper position, and then lift the back leg once they're there. Otherwise they'll all get stuck trying to make the transition and class will never get anywhere. And even that's a struggle, though of a different sort, because they don't want to modify because they think it's "wrong".

Edited by OrangeMat 2008-09-25 2:49 PM

Posted 2008-09-25 4:58 PM (#111053 - in reply to #111022)
Subject: RE: stepping forward from down

At what level of practice are the students in question?
If these are beginners or raw beginners then it is to be expected that stepping a leg forward from AMS might be challenging. For those two classifications of students the transition from AMS is to Vanarasana and therefore a bit more accessible than a transition in another form of SN where Vira I is mandated after AMS.

That having been said, let me respond to your question about the lunge. The preparation for the leg movement is hip flexion and lumbar spine extension. The former draws the thigh bone toward the lower torso and the latter creates space for that by tipping the pelvis posteriorly.

To enhance the movement of the leg you can work poses that strengthen the psoas, iliacus, and rectus femoris. Since the stepping through involves knee extension you can focus on strengthening the rectus femoris. Quadriceps work in Dandasana, standing poses and Eka Pada Supta Virasana will be helpful when skillfully instructed or you can work similar actions in Classical Surya Namaskar itself - Uttansana, Vanarasana, Tadasana, Ardha Chandrasana, Sarpasana, and Bhujangasana.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-09-25 4:59 PM
Orbilia
Posted 2008-09-26 9:08 AM (#111067 - in reply to #111048)

Orangemat.... that's me that is :-)

Fee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)