YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pilates to the rescue?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

Twiggy
Posted 2008-10-06 6:58 PM (#111259)
Subject: Pilates to the rescue?

Hello!

Recently I have been looking into pilates and may want to give it a go. Ive heard great stuff about it and how it can tone you without "bulking". Yes, I would love to tone up...but that is not the only reason I have been keeping an eye on pilates lately. For starters I am 22 years old and have chronic neck pain and shoulder pain. Constantly have knots in them and trigger points. This is truly making my life hell the past few months. Doc thinks its caused by my bad posture, anxiety, and stress. I have been taking muscle relaxers here and there and another medication for inflammation of the muscles. But, I think I need to do more such as exercise that will fix my neck and shoulder problems. This is really affecting my daily life at work, home, and relationships because I am more moody and in pain constantly. Sorry for the sappy story but I would really like advice if pilates might be a good step to take to fix this. I guess it would never hurt to try! Any info from experienced pilates people would be greatly appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
throwtoy
Posted 2008-10-09 8:35 AM (#111290 - in reply to #111259)
Subject: RE: Pilates to the rescue?

Here is a problem though. If you dont know anything about something and just using a DVD or watching and doing somethign at the same time how do you know if you're doing it correctly? how do you know if you need to modify it? You can actually hurt yourself more if doing the work incorrectly. Are you strong enough to roll, are you flexible enough to have your leg straight up to the air or lower than 45 degrees, are you hoisting your arms to control your body, are your shoulders up to your ears...i could go on.

find a local studio and take class with a certified instructor a couple times. they can make a proper assessment to help you so you can learn the proper way without hurting yourself further.
belle vie
Posted 2008-10-09 10:57 AM (#111299 - in reply to #111259)

Veteran

Hello to all again! I am so glad the forum is back, it was a long drought.

To comment on Tiggy's question, and respond to Rexall, I tried Pilates for several years, using videos and DVDs. Although I felt it to have been a profitable experience, I feel that is not the best way to learn Pilates. One, it takes a lot longer to really understand what you should be doing and how to do it correctly. Two, you increase the risk of injury particularly to the back, neck and stomach by doing Pilates incorrectly. After about a year i felt I was getting that "Oh, that's what she means" feeling. Then I was able to greatly increase my core strength, stamina and flexibility. Luckily, I avoided injury, improved and continued until I felt I had plateaued, could not find a satisfactory advanced DVD and stopped to concentrated on Yoga.

Twiggy if you already suffer from neck pain, Pilates may not be for you as so many of the exercises require the neck to be properly positioned to avoid strain. You should try to find a Pilates classes with a good teacher and discuss your neck problems before becoming fully committed. Yoga is an excellent way to reduce stress and if done with a teacher aware of your existing problems can be modified to help avoid putting stress on the very thing your want to destress

On the other hand, if you want to try Pilates, I found the "Pilates Beginning Mat Workout" with Ana Caban--put out by Gaiam, to be helpful. She gives very detailed instructions and has an assistant demonstrating alternative less stressful positions. Good luck to you

Oops, I keep getting an error message when I try to preview this post. Please forgive any typos.
tourist
Posted 2008-10-09 7:29 PM (#111310 - in reply to #111299)

Expert Yogi

belle - nice to see you again! Yes, the board is almost back to normal, thank goodness. I fear we have lost a few people, though. Thanks for your insight on Pilates.
rose11
Posted 2011-04-18 3:55 AM (#208169 - in reply to #111259)
Subject: Re: Pilates to the rescue?

Hello Twiggy,
You have been suffering from shoulder pain , and looking for Pilates. Yes Pilates defiantly helps you to ease with the pain. Many examples I have they are now happy with Pilates for shoulder and neck pain.

Elizabeth_I
Posted 2011-05-19 5:12 AM (#208423 - in reply to #111259)
Subject: Re: Pilates to the rescue?

I'm just about to start execising pilates, so I'll tell you more later
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)