YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PMS and slight knee pain?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

honeycan
Posted 2008-10-19 3:54 AM (#111451)
Subject: PMS and slight knee pain?

Hello everyone! Hope to get some help from other yoga enthusiasts!

I have a question for the ladies - when you have premenstrual syndrome, do you find that it's difficult to find a sense of balance? I seem to find myself losing my balance a lot when I have PMS.

My other question is whether any of you have experienced this discomfort before (I know there are a lot of posts on knee pain already, but can't seem to find anything on this) - when standing, walking, bending knee forward, normal feeling. But when I sit and bend my right leg in front of me like while indian sitting, I feel a slight pull from the groin to the knee. It's just a slight pain now, but should i be worried?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2008-10-20 8:43 AM (#111474 - in reply to #111451)
Subject: RE: PMS and slight knee pain?

Hi Candy,
With reference to your question regarding the pain, it sounds like one of the adductor muscles on the inner thigh is either tight or has been injured in the past-or perhaps your posture is such that these muscles are perhaps tighter than they should be. Because the pain extends from the groin to the knee, and is not concentrated at the knee itself, this would be a reasonable deduction.
Not being female, I haven't had any experience of balance problems during my cycle, but I do know that oestrogen has a marked effect on the female's connective tissue, causing it to loosen at various points of the cycle. I would guess that there are a few reasons that this lack of ability to balance might manifest, though.
One question, do you find that the lack of balance applies to both sides, or just one side?-if it's hard to balance on the right side, it might be related to the question on groin pain.

Take care
Nick
OrangeMat
Posted 2008-10-20 1:44 PM (#111495 - in reply to #111451)

PMS means your hormones are out of balance, right? So of course it makes sense that the body itself would be out of balance at that time as well. Big-picture-wise, everything's connected, right? Though if you're asking if the body's inability to balance is due to the hormones and such not balancing, I would have to say it's a chicken-and-egg sort of thing. Doesn't really matter which leads to the other, if you ask me. Just being aware of these discrepancies (and consistencies) is what's important. Notice, accept, and move on.
honeycan
Posted 2008-10-21 9:37 AM (#111524 - in reply to #111451)

HI Nick and OrangeMat,

Thanks for your replies!

Nick, you're right. I went to a sports doctor and he did say my problem was my adductor muscle. The pain's pretty much gone now; and I already went to yoga class today. Thanks too for the explanation on estrogen - will read up on it a bit. Think I'm prone to this since I've had tendon problems during pregnancy before. Appreciate the reply :-)

OrangeMat, yup, it's something I will need to accept, but just wanted to check if this was something common (or just me). :-)
Nick
Posted 2008-10-21 11:05 AM (#111526 - in reply to #111524)

Hi Candy,
phew!-got it right for a change Search for 'ligamentous laxity menstrual cycle/ pregnancy,' that should answer your query on connective tissue-there is a theory substantiated by evidence that the anterior cruciate ligament in the knee tears more easily in female athletes as a result of hormonal changes during their menstrual cycle and/or pregnancy.
Nick
hnia
Posted 2008-10-21 11:36 AM (#111527 - in reply to #111451)

There are some ashtanga people who do not practice when they have their periods.

My wife takes a day or two off yoga usually, for example.
honeycan
Posted 2008-10-22 4:32 AM (#111530 - in reply to #111526)

Hi Nick! I won't bother asking how you figured out searching for 'ligamentous laxity' (how did you figure it out?!) but thanks!! My sports doctor did mention he has seen a lot of female patients with knee injuries during this part of the cycle. Maybe I should let my yoga teacher know and be more careful.

:-) Candy

Nick
Posted 2008-10-22 11:12 AM (#111536 - in reply to #111530)

Hi Candy,
I have a degree in chiropractic, which helps I would guess that you perhaps have an underlying problem, which is too minimal to feel the effects of during the rest of the menstrual cycle, but makes it's presence felt before menstruation. This kind of muscle imbalance often contributes to back pain or stiffness, don't know if you ever suffer from that?

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)