YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ashtanga yoga injury article!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

janimikko
Posted 2008-11-10 9:06 AM (#111859)
Subject: Ashtanga yoga injury article!

Hi all,

A Survey of Muscululoskeletal Injury Among Ashtanga Yoga Practitioners was published on International Journal of Yoga Therapy. You can download it for free: http://www.selkakuntoutus.fi/

Regards,

Jani
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-11-10 1:52 PM (#111864 - in reply to #111859)
Subject: RE: Ashtanga yoga injury article!

Jani: While there definitely may be a useful information in this article, there is one serious flaw in such articles.

The fact is that the title of the article is Ashtanga Yoga Injury. There is NO such a thing as Ashtanga Yoga Injury.

The same injury can be caused by any other style of Yoga Exercise, including my Yoga Style (actually, if you know my style, it can not cause that injury, because, you are supposed to take responsibility, and do in your limit. If you are not doing in your limit, you are not doing my style!!!), if done beyond the capability. Therefore, as per my previous numerous posts on this thread: One should check whether they are prequalified to do Ashtanga Style exercsie and then do it. What Rodney Yee can do, not everyone can do.

I bow down to Vamana Rishi who formed the series of these exercises and I bow down to Pattabhi Jois who kept it alive by first doing himself and then teaching to others.

However, I believe it should not be taught to each one, neither it should be practiced by each one.

Edited by kulkarnn 2008-11-10 1:52 PM
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2008-11-10 4:13 PM (#111865 - in reply to #111859)
Subject: RE: Ashtanga yoga injury artic

I looked at this article and compared to to some other injury statistics I found online. It turns out that Ashtanga Yoga is just slightly less dangerous than walking, when you compare injuries/1000 hours of doing the activity. It's far safer than running, or playing basketball or football and a host of other activities. Basically this article confirmed for me that Ashtanga is very safe, and from that I make the rather unscientific conclusion that other forms of Yoga are, if anything, even safer (largely because I think Ashtanga promotes more sudden movements, and tends to attract a group of people who are more likely to overdo things.

Duffy
hnia
Posted 2008-11-12 12:32 PM (#111901 - in reply to #111865)
Subject: RE: Ashtanga yoga injury artic

yea, there's that article.

Yes, I agree Duffy Pratt.

Posted 2008-11-12 1:52 PM (#111904 - in reply to #111859)

This is not a very scientific study as it does not include a randomly selected group that does not do Ashtanga yoga compared to a randomly selected group that does do Ashtanga yoga. There is no objective basis for what an "injury" is or objective criteria as to whether the injury was actually caused by Ashtanga yoga or something else. It also only includes people who currently practice Ashtanga yoga and therefore excludes all those whose yoga injuries caused them to stop practicing Ashtanga yoga. Therefore, while interesting, this study's findings don't really mean anything.

A meaningful study would be two large randomly selected groups with one practicing Ashtanga yoga for a number of years (5+?) and the other not practicing Ashtanga yoga. Then you could compare the injuries (defined as those requiring any type of medical attention or another objective criteria) of each group over that time period to see if there was a statistically significant difference.
janimikko
Posted 2008-11-16 3:31 PM (#111966 - in reply to #111904)

Thank you about your feedback, although, it's good to be a bit more aware of principles of scientific study and read every section of article before giving any public comments. A study findings are meaningful e.g. on that sense that there is now research about adverse reactions related on Ashtanga Yoga.

5+ years follow up, huh, e.g. how many practitioners drop out during this time? or how about if someone in control group decide to start Ashtanga practice after three years? andand... The more realistic design could be a one-year prospective follow up study. Please conduct!!

Jani Mikkonen

Edited by janimikko 2008-11-16 3:35 PM
Nick
Posted 2008-11-17 2:46 AM (#111980 - in reply to #111966)

Hi Jani,
Once again, I think it's brilliant that someone has made the effort to perofrm a study of injuries in Astanga yoga-it's about time, so much falsehood has been propogated in the twenty years that I've been practicing and teaching. I don't suppose you're ready to do a few more. Well done, and thank you very much for the massive amount of time, patiennce, and effort it must have taken.

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)