YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

learning 3rd series
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

smiley
Posted 2008-12-01 11:43 PM (#112191)
Subject: learning 3rd series

Hello!

I have been lurking here for some time and finally had a question that I didn't find an answer for so decided to post...

I have been practicing 2nd series for over a year now and feel like I would like to start learning some 3rd series poses. The problem is that there isn't a certified instructor in my area... any suggestions to how to go about learning further? I have been told to go to India but I cannot afford that now. I have also been told to buy videos, but I want to learn from a person. Any suggestions?

S.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2008-12-02 3:24 AM (#112196 - in reply to #112191)
Subject: RE: learning 3rd series

Hi Jade,
Yes, the third series is a tricky one-which part of the world do you live in? I'm presuming that if you have got the second series under your belt, you must know of all the teachers in your area, but just in case.
In my day (how old am I? ) we didn't have DVD's, we had these things called 'video cassettes,' , but I would guess that with all your experience, you would probably be able to learn safely off a DVD-I don't think they are ever good for beginners, but you should be ok.
There aren't too many people who know the third series, at least not well. I've been practicing it for about 16 years and it still feels like I started yesterday.
If I've got any advice, it's 'take it slow.' Miss out postures that are too difficult and replace them with a pose from the first or second series that prepares you for the third series. There's lots of poses in the third series that are actually quite easy, so don't get put off by the difficult postures in the beginning-they require a lot of upper body strength, which takes a long while for most people to develop. in fact, most people don't develop it, which is one reason, in my opinion, for there being more injuries than there should be-people use the explosive power from the legs to get into the poses, before they have a chance to develop the upper body.
Anyway, good luck with your quest, if I can be of any assistance online, don't hesitate to ask. After a while, you'll realize that you always wish you hadn't

Nick
smiley
Posted 2008-12-03 5:33 PM (#112240 - in reply to #112191)
Subject: Re: learning 3rd series

Thank you Nick! Very helpful advice. I will get a DVD and see what happens. And I will definitely be posting questions online as I go along. The only other thing is, if I learn poses on my own, should I not practice them in my Mysore class? I would like to still attend classes, as I love the company and energy in the room.

Nick
Posted 2008-12-04 3:32 AM (#112246 - in reply to #112240)
Subject: Re: learning 3rd series

Hi Jade,
That's a tricky one to answer, because some Astanga teachers go nuts about performing everything according to the prescribed series. Depends which end of the spectrum your teacher is on. Hopefully they will applaud your efforts in trying new postures and help you. For a spiritual endevour, there's a lot of ego involved in the world of yoga! Time to find out if your teacher is cool or not I'm sure they will be glad to help-it would be ridiculous not to.

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)