YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginning my teacher training
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Seeker101
Posted 2008-12-17 3:47 PM (#112380)
Subject: Beginning my teacher training

Veteran

I am beginning my teacher training in January. It's a 200 hour course that meets every other weekend for a full year. I am very excited (and nervous about the work involved). As I have progressed in my own yoga practice, I find my yoga interests expanding. Rather than falling in love with one type of yoga practice, I have been enjoying dipping into many types. I primarily practice a general hatha yoga class but have recently begun to attend a Mysore class weekly and am getting interested in Ashtanga. I am going to be attending an Anusara workshop in January and then one on Tibetan Heart Yoga in February. So my question for teachers is: What are your thoughts about incorporating all the various aspects into teaching versus teaching one "pure" style. I am not looking for answers for me, rather I am interested in hearing what others think about this issue.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-12-17 4:12 PM (#112382 - in reply to #112380)
Subject: Re: Beginning my teacher training

I have taken a similar path and take what I can grasp from each practice as well as from each teacher...especially the bad ones.
tourist
Posted 2008-12-17 6:58 PM (#112385 - in reply to #112382)

Expert Yogi

To play devil's advocate, there are sayings about digging too many small holes and never going deep enough to find water. I am from a single tradition (Iyengar) and have never found any reason to go elsewhere, but I have a very strong and vibrant community with some of BKS Iyengar's oldest (in years and in training) students. If I didn't have this embarrassment of riches in my Iyengar community, I might have branched out some.

Posted 2008-12-17 8:06 PM (#112386 - in reply to #112382)

Bruce - 2008-12-17 1:12 PM

I have taken a similar path and take what I can grasp from each practice as well as from each teacher...especially the bad ones.

I agree with Bruce's approach. I see yoga as unique and personal. We all have our unique minds/bodies and our unique path. As such, there is no right or wrong way, only ways that work and dead ends, which are also important teachers.

Personally, I think that by learning different styles, you can eventually find your own unique style which will be a mixture of the substance of what you have learned, together with your own personal insights. Learning various styles can lead to a much broader perspective, but it can also lead to superficiality. For some people, a single style is limiting dogma that teaches one only to copy and repeat. For other people, a single style is what best fits that individual's needs and works wonderfully. The most important part of either approach is to have an open, inquisitive mind and to seek out the substance and not the superficial.
hnia
Posted 2008-12-18 12:10 PM (#112395 - in reply to #112386)

Hey Seeker.

Yes, ashtanga is a wonderful practice. It's never gets old me for. The only danger I see is reconciling the differences between styles. You will likely get different instructions for the same postures. Ashtanga has it's own version of things...
Seeker101
Posted 2008-12-18 2:40 PM (#112396 - in reply to #112395)

Veteran

Thanks everyone. Very helpful comments.

I am almost 50 years old so have already had many life experiences, all of which led me to my yoga journey. I am loving learning about the differences between the various disciplines. I find the areas of difference tell me more about the practice than I can learn just learning one model.

Posted 2008-12-21 9:31 AM (#112459 - in reply to #112380)

i'm like bruce in the sense that i learn from many styles/teachers, but like tourist in that i prefer one tradition over another and tend to 'stay put' in that tradition (in both teaching and practice). for me, though, i stay within the krishnamaycharya lineage, which both astanga and iyengar find their origins (as well as a couple of other styles). i prefer that alignment family, that philosophical approach, over the "other" style from the gnosh/shivananda system, though that system has many benefits.

right now, i'm taking a month of yoga--it's my christmas gift because i'm paying for yoga and babysitting which is quite a bit of money for us! the teaching is from a different school than krishnamaycharya, but i'm actually doing the postures from my own lineage as far as alignment goes (and the teachers don't seem to know or care). and after this month, i thought that i would follow the sequences in iyengar's book "light on yoga" just for fun. i can do this at home while my husband hangs with the baby--he currently gets about 1.5 hours with him each evening between feedings! so, that should be cool.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)