YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

confusion about styles/places to learn yog in india
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

anna
Posted 2008-12-26 10:37 AM (#112529)
Subject: confusion about styles/places to learn yog in india

im looking to start yoga classes possibly TTC in india and have researched SVYASA, Bihar sch, Sivananda,Svastha, iyengar and transformational style classes and Sch of Santhi. I think i would prefer something more classical although i would enjoy classes being small , ie, less than 10 people... i cannot imagine wanting to learn in a large group. I havent seen any input in the forum about School of Santhi in Kerala..and it looks one of the more appealing to me.

What are the benefits of studying a more classical system as opposed to newer types like ashtanga or transformational.. are there any dangers in these new style maximum impact types of yoga?

and how does the TTC system work, does one have to attend the TTC200 before the TTC 500 or does TTC500 include 200?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-12-26 7:11 PM (#112537 - in reply to #112529)
Subject: Re: confusion about styles/places to learn yog in india

A classical system may provide a foundation for moving forward in a deeper way, presuming the classical studies do not imprint the student in such a way that it manifests as dogma. Of course the opposite is also true. One could study classically (and do so with poor instruction or mis guiding) and come away with less.

To me, India is a bit over-rated. If you are already there, study there. But please do not make the mistake of presuming that simply because it is India you will be properly trained. there is quite a lot of mis-training going on in India - among other places. No place is safe :-)

You reference maximum impact styles so I can only guess that you are referring to asana rather than yoga. Once again, a misnomer. Asana is not yoga. Asana may be a component of yoga, contained with in it. And perhaps that answers another bit of your question. A Yoga that does not provide the student with a framework for living (yama, niyama, kleshas, et al) may, to some, not be Yoga at all.

As for teacher training, again you are referencing something with 200 and 500 hours and I can only presume you're referring to a Yoga Alliance framework. But you don't say so. Hmmmm. Generally speaking, if one is taking a 500-hour teacher training they need not regard a 200-hour issue at all. A 500-hour training usually expands (tremendously) on those things introduced in a 200-hour training.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-12-26 7:20 PM
anna
Posted 2008-12-28 10:11 AM (#112573 - in reply to #112529)

thanks for your reply. yes im in india so it makes sense to study here for me. i have been very confused re, all the styles of asana and there does seem to be alot of classes around here (goa) where it is all modified asana based and very little taught frameworks for living.. that is what i wanted to avoid.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-12-28 2:05 PM (#112581 - in reply to #112573)

Expert Yogi

You should hook up with Neel Kulkarni...he's here under the name Kulkarn. Neel is in Pune, India right now and has a school of yoga. Might be worth checking out. If you can find his postings here, there should be a link to his email.

good luck.
mir
Posted 2008-12-31 6:06 AM (#112626 - in reply to #112529)
Subject: RE: confusion about styles/places to learn yog in india

Hi Anna -

Agree with the comments made by "Purnayoga".

I also just completed a 200-hr TTC in Mandrem Beach (Goa) with Himalaya Yoga Valley. Curriculum focused on Asana practice as just one of the eight limbs. We also studied pantanjali's sutras and the remaining seven limbs as well as ayurveda.

I'd recommend the course - though tiring and intense - and know teacher Lalit Kumar is holding another 200 hr TTC in Mandrem beach Jan. 28 - Feb. 25. See:

http://www.yogagoaindia.com/yoga_teacher_training.php

Another thought is Yogi Ram who teaches in Rishikesh. He was our meditation teacher and is a wonderful and experienced yogi (http://www.himalayanyoga.in/himalaya-yoga-courses.html).

Lastly..while I didn't take classes here, I met a few people who spoke very highly of the Himalayan Iyengar Yoga Centre in Arambol (http://www.hiyogacentre.com/about_the_centre.htm). It takes years to become a certified Iyengar teacher, but the center in Arambol does have a few intensives you could explore.

Good luck!
Mir.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)