YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drop backs and such
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

patient@44
Posted 2008-12-27 4:50 PM (#112556)
Subject: drop backs and such

I have posted before regarding urdhva dhanurasana and thanks to some very good advice, I am now progressing nicely. I have started doing drop backs with assistance and can rise up, again with assistance. My question: How does one teach oneself to do all this without a spotter (assistance)? I can drop back on my own, but getting up is a whole other story. Is this a strength issue? Should I concentrate on doing just the first three back bends (maybe more) to develop leg strength? Also, any opinions out there regarding half-drop backs against a wall vs not against a wall? I have watched some videos on how to do this but they are not too helpful. Is there a moment when you just 'know' you are going to be able to rise back up? Or do you have to crash a little at first.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2008-12-28 10:44 AM (#112575 - in reply to #112556)
Subject: Re: drop backs and such

my opinions:
to start dropping back by yourself, begin by dropping hands back onto the wall.
focus on having very straight legs and arms while doing so, and backbend from the neck down.
really make sure to bend from the thoracic spine as the thoracic-lumbar junction tends to drink up all the backbend for itself. (you probably already know, yes?)
in my mind the key is being able to drop yourself back to ninety degrees with straight legs without using the help of the wall, and then you are ready to start bending the knees and going back.
i generally tend to emphasize more of a muscular control than letting gravity pull you down.
a note: in order to ensure integrity in the hips and shoulders, see that your arms and legs are completely straight as you practice this half dropback.

on coming up:
i dunno. i crashed one time and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
i assume there is that moment of knowing.
take as much weight into the feet and thighs as possible, and don't really count on your arms to propel you.

good luck.
patient@44
Posted 2008-12-28 9:14 PM (#112585 - in reply to #112575)

Thanks for the advice...I will give what you suggest a try as I continue to work with my primary instructor. I am in no rush...
Nick
Posted 2008-12-30 8:28 AM (#112609 - in reply to #112556)
Subject: RE: drop backs and such

Hi Carol,
Out of all the techniques I've come across for learning the drop back and the reverse movement, I've had by far the most help from using a slope. If you stand facing down the slope, the point where you put your hands as you drop back, is much closer to your feet, you can keep your body weight over your feet much more easily, your ankles are plantar flexed and the feet are much more 'useful.'
The link below shows a piece of gymnastics training equipment that I think should be in every yoga studio. It takes some skill to use safely, but you can see that it trains all the moves necessary:

http://tinyurl.com/7t7ug7

Take care
Nick
hnia
Posted 2008-12-30 9:55 AM (#112612 - in reply to #112556)
Subject: RE: drop backs and such

Hi patient,

Yes, there is a moment. It happens when you can see your feet in UD and really push into your heels and tuck your tailbone. You absolutely know you can come up without failing. Remember the head comes up last very slowly.

Posted 2008-12-30 11:38 AM (#112614 - in reply to #112556)

If you can get your hands on a copy of Dona Holleman's "Dancing the Body of Light"
she gives fantastic instructions for the progression of urdhva dhanurasana.
its something of a rarity, though
patient@44
Posted 2009-01-13 6:24 PM (#112872 - in reply to #112556)

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I am working on this with some success, though a tight right shoulder is creating some issues. Also, sorry it took so long to acknowledge all your great advice, got a case of the flu and EVERYTHING stopped with that

Peace!

PS I have tried to find a copy of Dona Holleman's book with little success, but will keep searching...

Edited by patient@44 2009-01-13 6:26 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)