YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What licenses are required to teach Yoga in California?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

yogi2010
Posted 2009-01-02 5:52 PM (#112689)
Subject: What licenses are required to teach Yoga in California?

Hi All,

I'm planning to do my Yoga Teacher's Training and wanted to know what certifications / Licenses are required to officially/legally start a yoga studio once i get my Teacher's Certification?

The program I'm currently exploring is registered with California Yoga Teachers Association (CYTA) and follows the requirements for Yoga Alliance (200-hr program).

Are there any other licenses i need to get? Or any accredations from recognized institutes?

Many thanks for your help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-01-02 10:21 PM (#112698 - in reply to #112689)
Subject: Re: What licenses are required to teach Yoga in California?

Sadly, yoga teachers are not required to have any licensing whatsoever.
You may open your studio having only a business license from the state in which you do business. Oddly enough, you don't even need to do a teacher training.

However there are two larger questions here. The first is the sincerity of the teacher and subsequently their commitment to learning, growing, studying, practicing their calling (yoga). The second is the way consumers may perceive a teacher/studio based on some legitimization of their training - like a Yoga Alliance registration or a vocational certificate from the state.

Edited by purnayoga 2009-01-02 10:21 PM
yogi2010
Posted 2009-01-07 1:22 AM (#112778 - in reply to #112689)

Thank you purnayoga. This is very helpful.

Posted 2009-01-07 11:12 AM (#112789 - in reply to #112689)

actually, i think it's *great* that there is no licensing of yoga teachers! government involvement in what is and isn't yoga creates a problem in regards to creativity and it doesn't ensure safety.

looking at the way midwifery is licensed is a good example of how/why i wouldn't want yoga to be licensed. what has happened is that only certain trainings are "allowed" and from there, many wise methods of assisting birth have been outlawed for midwives.

this, of course, is all under the guise of safety, but many aspects of modern birthing are not evidence based practices, they are simply practices that have gained favor.

the issue of actually licensing yoga is that this diverse study, with many methodologies, could actually become a strict situation wherein the creative, healthy, and natural process of yoga--in all of it's diversity--is not allowed to be taught or practiced. it could be that only one method of teaching is valued over another, one school of alignment over another, and one kind of training over another is what is available for licensing, whereas other just-as-good or even better methodologies cannot be. and with this, licensed teachers can be terrible--though "protected" in certain ways by government license, and unlicensed teachers would be seen as "dangerous" and would be "unprotected" even though they may be excellent teachers.

so, i want the government as far from yoga as we can manage to keep it, which is why i also support yoga alliance. i mean, the issues of yoga alliance are still the same--but at least it is elective and it can allow for diversity and sets basic standards.
Cyndi
Posted 2009-01-07 4:07 PM (#112794 - in reply to #112789)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2009-01-07 11:12 AM

actually, i think it's *great* that there is no licensing of yoga teachers! government involvement in what is and isn't yoga creates a problem in regards to creativity and it doesn't ensure safety.

Thank You ZB!! My thoughts exactly.

The Dharma has been upheld for thousands and thousands of years without any licensing whatsoever...we govern ourselves - the yogi's passed it down to us. It's part of the process and frankly, it's about the only thing you can really count on in this world. Human nature and the process of yoga cannot be controlled by anyone. Thank God..or else I would of never gotten this far,
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)