YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maternity Leave??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

phreerose
Posted 2009-01-05 2:03 PM (#112741)
Subject: Maternity Leave??

My husband and are are hoping to start a family in 2009. I think I'll be able to teach pretty much right up until my due date. But I'm wondering about after the baby is born.

Mom's how long did you wait until you went back to teaching? What about practicing?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-01-06 12:15 AM (#112757 - in reply to #112741)
Subject: Re: Maternity Leave??

Are you just asking moms?
If so I'll stay right out of it.

phreerose
Posted 2009-01-06 10:21 AM (#112765 - in reply to #112741)

Not necessarily, do you have some wisdom to impart?

Posted 2009-01-07 10:49 AM (#112788 - in reply to #112741)

a lot of this has to do with how you plan or choose to parent.

my mother informs me that i have chosen a very intensive form of parenting, and she's pretty much right. i have chosen attachment parenting with strong continuum concept influences. this includes near-constant holding of the baby as well as breastfeeding on cue and breastfeeding exclusively (for us--no pumping, bottles, or formula supplementation, though i did pump a milk bank for myself, gave it to a friend's baby, and am now starting a new bank!). i'm never apart from my baby for more than an hour and a half, and that baby is always within walking distance of me if not just in the next room. during that time, someone else is holding him and caring for him.

because of this, i cannot work in gyms or corporate-styled yoga studios. but, i am able to work at the home-y styled yoga studio in my area as well as maintain my private clients.

the studio where i work supports bringing my baby to class and breastfeeding him in class if needed. usually, he either sleeps or plays during class. the same is true of my private clients. for two of my classes, students babysit in exchange for classes. essentially, they put him in his baby wrap and walk with him for the duration of the class while he sleeps. this is his preferred way to nap, which is why i'm so hungry and skinny all the time (5 mile walks and breastfeeding will do it!).

so, for me, i stayed away from teaching as long as i could manage, which turned out to be about 6 weeks. that was it. i couldn't handle being away longer. from that first class, my baby came with me, and about two months after that, people started 'sitting' for me either in the next room or walking him during his nap time.

other teachers feel comfortable with bottles and leaving their babies longer than i do, and so can easily put the baby in child care at a gym or leave the child at home with a baby sitter. i simply can't, and so this inhibits where i can teach (which i do not mind!), but for other teachers, 6-12 weeks is the norm for their maternity leave, and they often truly "leave" their children once they are back to work.

which is ok. it's just a different parenting style than my own.

my MIL keeps asking me "when do you put the child down to get things done?" and my question to her always is "what else do i have to do?" sure, my house isn't perfect, but it's clean, we have clean clothes, dishes, and food, and my hsuband really helps out with that. when my mother comes on fridays, she holds him while i clean up, and while i breast feed she cleans for me, you know? it's a great way to parent.

also, i highly recommend this web site: Mothering.com. It's a great web site about preparing for pregnancy, birth, and parenthood. it is a very diverse community that you might enjoy. i love it there! they also have a message board.

Edited by zoebird 2009-01-07 11:00 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)