YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a daily practice... and keeping it going
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

jjhale
Posted 2009-01-06 9:30 PM (#112770)
Subject: Starting a daily practice... and keeping it going

Hi I'm Joe,

I'm new to this forum and hoping for some help with motivation. I've been doing Ashtanga for a few years now but keep letting my practice slip. A couple of months back I managed a full month of daily practice and it was great. However, I just started a new job and haven't done much since.

I've decided to try and keep a daily practice. To help motivate me I will be charting my progress in my yoga blog.

Tomorrow I start on my daily practice. I would welcome any tips on how I can keep up the motivation so that I don't find myself starting afresh this time next year!

All the best,

Joe

Edited by jjhale 2009-01-06 9:32 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2009-01-06 10:23 PM (#112776 - in reply to #112770)
Subject: Re: Starting a daily practice... and keeping it going

Expert Yogi

Hi Joe - we'll be watching you!
jjhale
Posted 2009-01-07 4:24 AM (#112781 - in reply to #112776)

Thanks tourist, I need you guys to keep me honest. Managed the first day - need to see how the second goes...
lewellen17
Posted 2009-01-07 5:05 PM (#112796 - in reply to #112770)
Subject: RE: Starting a daily practice... and keeping it going

Hi Joe,

It's tough, especially if you're mostly practising at home. It helps me to not have any expectations from my practice. I just make sure I step on my mat, without planning to do everything. Right now, I have what for me is a long practice (all of primary plus second up to ushtrasana), so each day I just take it as it comes. And mostly, I do everything. Once I get through standing, I usually have the rhythm and focus to just keep going. Yesterday I felt like crap and just skipped primary altogether - but I still did an hour of yoga, and I felt much better afterwards. And I didn't beat myself up about it. Today is a new day.

I have found that trying to be determined to get through two hours is self defeating - I would stand there, before (and during) the sun salutations, dreading the long practice to come, and just give up.

Good luck!

lisa

hnia
Posted 2009-01-08 12:43 PM (#112807 - in reply to #112796)

No 2nd day?
jjhale
Posted 2009-01-08 12:55 PM (#112808 - in reply to #112796)
Subject: RE: Starting a daily practice... and keeping it going

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the advice! Two hours of yoga can definitely seem very daunting. I like the idea of not be committed a mega session. I'll try just getting up and stepping onto the mat tomorrow.

This morning it seemed like too much to do, but then I had a really focused practice this evening.

Cheers!

Joe

(and thanks to Hnia for the poke!)

Edited by jjhale 2009-01-08 12:58 PM
jjhale
Posted 2009-01-19 3:18 PM (#112965 - in reply to #112770)

Hi,

I've made it to 13 days now. To be honest the shine is going from my practice. I am having trouble keeping focus and getting excited about it. I'm wondering if it is that I'm just doing the same thing everyday, but there again I though that that was mostly the point of Asthanga.

I've only been doing up to Navasana and then moving to the finishing sequence, so now I'm planning to add the next pose, Bhuja Pindasana.

I've also noticed that the jump throughs seem to be getting more difficult. I did not expect this. I'm not sure if I'm just wearing myself out or it is related to a lack of focus.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

As ever you can track my progress at Joe Hale's yoga blog.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by jjhale 2009-01-19 3:20 PM
patient@44
Posted 2009-01-19 6:54 PM (#112971 - in reply to #112965)

Hi Joe,

First I want to say, thank you for sharing this journey and being honest about how it is going for you. I hope what I can help...

I find that when you do the practice in exactly the same way (either including every asana and every 'vinyasa' between each asana or doing the same thing up until a certain pose, like you are doing) it is akin to a runner running the exact same route every day at the same pace. Most athletes vary their workout from day to day, going easy one day, harder the next. Ashtanga is a very physical practice, and one's body experiences the practice like an athlete. I find that I am better able to practice 6 days a week if I don't try to do the whole primary series every day. Somedays, I don't jump back or through at all, somedays, I skip "picking it up" between each asana. Somedays, I skip some of the asanas. I also find it helpful to not expect too much of my practice when I first step on to my mat.

You may also want to start working on an intention to your practice. I sometimes dedicate my practice to someone I know, to a people or place in the world that may be in need (ie the Israeli/Palestinian conflict) I know this sounds hokey, but it helps me let go of some of the physical stuff and my ego. You could also try concentrating on a certain aspect of the practice, ie, your drishti, your breath, your bandhas. I have a very hard time maintaining nasagrai drishti, I think it is because I have one eye that is considerably weaker than the other and when I work hard on doing it, I let go of the physical aspects of my practice. I find concentrating on the breath to be the most helpful, especially the inhalation, which is harder to deepen and to make sound.

I very much understand your frustrations and all I can say is that you should go easy on yourself. With practice, all is
coming and I personally think that means the ability to do this 6 days a week

Peace,

Carol

Posted 2009-01-20 10:36 AM (#112991 - in reply to #112770)

i agree with the intentional idea, but also take it in another direction.

that is, i typically set out with a specific interest or goal in mind for that practice, such as improving my use of bandhas or keeping breathing at a specific pace or really working on the alignment of certain postures.

this helps me stay motivated when the sequence is the same.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)