YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips for Ashtanga Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

yogainusa
Posted 2009-01-08 3:54 PM (#112814)
Subject: Tips for Ashtanga Yoga

The basis of the teachings of Patanjali is entwined in the eightfold path of yoga or the ashtanga yoga. These teachings are suggestions for a better life. The eight fold path is as follows

Yama means social behaviour. It tells you the way to treat others and the world around you. These are the right values. Also called the do’s and don’ts. There are five yamas: Nonviolence (ahimsa), Truth and honesty (satya), Nonstealing (asteya), Nonlust (brahmacharya), Nonpossessiveness (aparigraha),

Niyama means personal discipline and responsibility. This tells us how to treat ourselves. Also called observances. There are five niyamas: Purity (shauca), Contentment (santosha), Austerity (tapas), Study of the sacred text (svadhyaya), and Living with an awareness of the Divine (ishvara-pranidhana).

Asana. Yoga is commonly understood as performing the various asanas. According to Patanjali, “The posture of yoga is steady and easy.” The ancient sages used yoga to prepare themselves for meditation. In order to meditate a person requires to sit in one posture for a long time, the body should be flexible and agile and at the same time cooperative to achieve this. One should be able to concentrate without getting disturbed by the environment during meditation.

Also Find more about Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dharana, Dhyana, Samadhi at http://yogainusa.com/yogausablog/

Please put your tips at this post..

Regards

Rahul

To know more about Yoga and To find Yoga Studios in USA visit http://yogainusa.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
chloemoon
Posted 2009-01-09 11:28 AM (#112830 - in reply to #112814)
Subject: Re: Tips for Ashtanga Yoga

Hi, Rahul
Thanks for the tips! I've done a variety of yoga forms from Bikram to Hatha, but my favorite is Ashtanga. I've been practicing Ashtanga yoga every day (gave up long distance running for the month) for the past month and have seen great changes in my overall health and well being, especially my joints. I'm still on the primary series and trying my best to work on each pose. I find them to be very challenging and require a lot of concentration and focus. What I want to know is what is the best way to tackle the poses in the Yoga Chikitsa / first series? Strange, I can get into crow and hold it for six breaths. I can do head stand and hold for eight breaths, but can't seem to hold Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana. What can I do to fix this? Thanks, Jillene
lewellen17
Posted 2009-01-11 9:44 PM (#112850 - in reply to #112814)
Subject: RE: Tips for Ashtanga Yoga

Hi Jillene,

UHP is still a tricky one for me - I can manage it fine at home, but I wobble all over the place at the shala!

Driste is key - if I'm feeling a bit shaky I don't move it when I swing the leg out to the side; or I swing the leg first, then shift the gaze. Bandhas are helpful, too - keeping Uddiyana bandha strong (REALLY strong) usually keeps me steady. Keep the quads strongly engaged, too. other than that, just keep practising!

Best way to tackle first series? One pose at a time, and practising every day. It can take months and months (or even years) to feel like you're making any progress. Sometimes progress may just mean you're not dreading a certain pose any more (as has happened with me with backbending).

cheers,

lisa

yogainusa
Posted 2009-01-15 7:23 AM (#112883 - in reply to #112814)

I think Ashtanga is best for reducing health problems
ProfessionalYogi
Posted 2009-02-01 3:21 PM (#113308 - in reply to #112814)

Hey

I've been practicing yoga for a short time... when do you think is the best time to practice it? first thing in the morning or at the end of my hectic day

Posted 2009-02-01 4:57 PM (#113312 - in reply to #113308)

The best time to practice yoga is the time that works for you on a regular basis. Regularity and focus are probably the two most important aspects of a yoga practice.

Remember that you do not have to practice yoga all in one session. For example, you can practice some general waking up and flexibility poses in the morning and some strength and relaxation poses in the evening.

Besides my general yoga "workout", I do some in bed before I get up, some more in the shower, at my desk at work and before I go to bed at night. I also do asanas before playing the French horn and before and after sports. Many students find that several sets of Sun Salutations every hour or so help them stay focused when studying. Yoga can be done at any time and in almost any place. Follow the example of cats and dogs who practice yoga on an as needed basis throughout the day. Dogs will even wake up in the middle of a nap, do a quick up dog and a down dog and go back to sleep!
Miabella704
Posted 2009-02-14 8:37 PM (#113638 - in reply to #112814)

They always say you should practice in the morning. That isn't happening for me. I just can't get into any asana, except maybe fetal position...in bed, that early in the day. No strength or flexibility before noon. I prefer to end my day with Ashtanga. It just works for me. You'll have to try different times to see what works for you. It may even be morning one day, evening the next, and afternoon the day after that. Just follow your internal rhythms and cycles.

Edited by Miabella704 2009-02-14 8:38 PM
sandworm
Posted 2010-05-20 11:44 PM (#123042 - in reply to #112814)

Jim, that's a great point. I wonder, does anyone else split up their practice morning/evening? I try to practice with my wife, but she works long hours, so we don't have much time together in the evenings. I bet we could accomplish more if we (for example) did our some of our sun salutations in the morning. Already we're doing one of David Swenson's short forms, maybe we could add a few if we did it this way.
Bay Guy
Posted 2010-05-22 11:13 PM (#123072 - in reply to #112814)

Expert Yogi

I practice in the evenings, except when my work gets completely in the way - then I do early morning. I hate morning because I am stiff, sleepy, and eager to get to work...

..bg
kevinpeter1
Posted 2010-07-22 1:23 AM (#124232 - in reply to #112814)

Allow me to start with a little background for those not familiar with this transition. The jump through is a jump from downward facing dog directly to a seated position, which is done many times in an Ashtanga practice.In order to meditate a person requires to sit in one posture for a long time, the body should be flexible and agile and at the same time cooperative to achieve this.
baileykruse
Posted 2011-05-19 7:09 AM (#208427 - in reply to #112814)

Its really very nice tips.I also want to do ashtanga yoga for my better life so this tips are really very very useful.

Edited by baileykruse 2011-05-19 7:12 AM
Iraputra
Posted 2011-06-07 11:00 AM (#208554 - in reply to #112814)

Veteran

In Ashtanga it is customary to start with the practice of asana, and then to incorporate yama and niyama before moving on to pranayama and so on; as the ability of the student grows, all limbs are practiced more and more and even simultaneously. Ashtanga is a method for internal practice... in other words Patanjali Yoga. Not gymnastics, not a sports. There is no competition; only attentive learning, experiencing and evolving. And if you think otherwise, you probably need either some extreme 'Power Yoga' or better yet more practice of yama and niyama — maybe after avidyaa has led you down a more or less painful path.

A primary principle in yoga is to adapt the practice to the needs of the student — excellently well demonstrated by Sri T. Krishnamacharya. And this of course also holds true in Ashtanga as taught by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. This is why learning from a qualified teacher is essential — possibly the best tip you can get. And even a very strict teacher like Krishnamacharya would never force his students to practice any method that they were not ready and willing to learn.

“Yoga is of very little use, if studied theoretically. It was never meant for such a study. In its practical form, however, the path of the student is beset with difficulties. The books on Yoga give instructions so far as it is possible to express the methods in words, but all persons, not being careful enough to follow these instructions to the very letter, fail in their object. Such persons require a teacher versed in the practice of Yoga” -- http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/hyp/hyp02.htm

And if you want a book on Ashtanga loaded with practical tips I recommend:
 • Ashtanga Yoga As It Is  (2005, 3rd edition) by Matthew Sweeney
 • Ashtanga Yoga: Practice & Philosophy (2006) by Gregor Maehle
 • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual (1999) by David Swenson

But, however good a book or dvd is, it can never give you any feedback if you engage in a pose poorly, or perform ujjayi pranayama like a constipated percolator — then there could be much trouble; constricted breathing, injury, frustration, disappointment, anger, etc — more damage than good could be done, and yoga (unity, self-knowledge, happiness, bliss...) still unattainable. Find a good teacher/guru who you trust, and then practice!

Good knowledge of theory is important, but without the practical knowledge little or nothing will be happening for you — hence Guruji's recommendation 95 % practice, 5 % theory... and breathing very important! Learn the method thoroughly, then practice regularly, whether in the morning, during the day or in the evening. Practice as much or as little as you want. Peace

intelligente21
Posted 2011-06-10 3:14 PM (#208587 - in reply to #112814)

Your tips are incredible. I will try this kind of yoga later. Thanks for these very useful tips.

Edited by intelligente21 2011-06-10 3:22 PM
jannet
Posted 2012-02-03 12:38 AM (#209947 - in reply to #112814)

Well I find them to be very challenging and require a lot of concentration and focus. What I want to know is what is the best way to tackle the poses in the Yoga Chikitsa / first series? Strange
Imadayana
Posted 2012-02-19 10:05 AM (#210009 - in reply to #209947)

New User

jannet - 2012-02-03 12:38 AM

Well I find them to be very challenging and require a lot of concentration and focus. What I want to know is what is the best way to tackle the poses in the Yoga Chikitsa / first series? Strange

Can you be more specific? Which pose in particular? Maybe you can start with 1 or 2 poses you're having difficulty with and we can go from there.
Ericmayars
Posted 2012-04-18 10:51 AM (#210391 - in reply to #112814)

A very famous style popularly known as ‘Power Yoga retreats’. It is high in demand and the physical body in today’s hectic lifestyle also demands this style. Anyone who wishes to tone one’s body or has had an athlete regime will be fond of this style.

Edited by Ericmayars 2012-04-18 10:52 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)