YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teaching while pregnant
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

majesticyoga
Posted 2009-02-04 5:41 PM (#113377)
Subject: Teaching while pregnant

So I found out recently I am pregnant. I'm currently 9 weeks along (yeay!). However, I've come across a predicament. I teach 8 classes a week and nearly all of my students are beginners. I've found already that my body is saying no to some poses (particularly all prone poses). I know that one solution would be to have one of my more experienced students to demo. However, I only found one so far who is capable and feels comfortable doing that and she cannot attend all of my classes (nor would I expect her to!). I have had much positive feedback on my verbal cues. However, almost every class I have at least one completely new student, who's taking her very first yoga class, and who is clearly very much a visual learner. I don't want to have that kind of student feeling lost or left out, yet I must also take care of the needs of my body and my baby. Any suggestions???
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-02-04 11:19 PM (#113383 - in reply to #113377)
Subject: Re: Teaching while pregnant

The thing that made the biggest impression on me during teacher training was how you should get off the mat while teaching. I think all new students are looking to the teacher to demo everything rather than listening and feeling how they should be doing it. I think your spideysense is telling you the right thing--demmo what you can when you think you need to but work with the newbie through instruction and possibly some hands on guiding her into the pose. And congrats mom to be--Bruce is a nice boy's name I think...
tourist
Posted 2009-02-05 9:41 AM (#113387 - in reply to #113377)
Subject: RE: Teaching while pregnant

Expert Yogi

majestic - you really need zoebird to answer this as she has just gone through the same thing. What style do you teach? One thing to consider is tha tyou do not need to have a perfect presentation of the pose. It is sometimes helpful to have 2 students demo so you can point out the best points of each person's pose as what to aim for.

Posted 2009-02-05 4:16 PM (#113396 - in reply to #113377)

Two issues here. The first is self care and care of the developing fetus. The second is a teacher-training issue.

Nothing should take precedent over self-care and care of the fetus. Pregnancy is wonderful and should provide a nurturing feel, nurturing calming foods, and nurturing calming activities for mother and thus the baby. These are the principles of yoga. Nurturing the creative force. Absolutely listen to your body and do not sacrifice that truth for the truth of your students or your peers.

Second, Bruce makes a fine point. I rarely demonstrate poses. Once in a while, I do. It varies. But I employ students a lot. And they acclimate to such things. In fact employing students for demonstrating poses is actually good for them. Asking for volunteers gives the silent student a chance to speak up. Getting in front of the class gives them a chance to come more fully out of the shadows in which they hide. Working with the teacher gives them a sense of connection and cultivates a healthy teacher-student relationship. It's very productive.

Furthermore, it's wonderful to direct a student into the pose who more accurately reflects the body and state of the other students. They can see how THEY should work the pose rather than how YOU do. Both are beneficial in different ways. You may discover two things. One that the students get more, not less, from other students demonstrating. And you may find you are the one who's not comfortable with using others :-) Both very fertile ground for growth during a fertile time.

Edited by purnayoga 2009-02-05 4:19 PM
tourist
Posted 2009-02-05 6:48 PM (#113399 - in reply to #113377)

Expert Yogi

It is also very empowering to ask a student who may feel s/he doesn't have an "ideal" practice to show a pose or action that s/he is doing particularly well. I have a student with many challenges in his body and recently called the class over to show his hands in headstand, which were soft and open and cradling his head very nicely. In contrast, his wife, a more experienced student, had cramped, white knuckled hands and since they were side by side, made an excellent comparison. Of course, now the DH will tease his DW about it for a long time (maybe forever... ) but he now has that experience of being the "good" example, and he can build on that in future.

Posted 2009-02-05 11:24 PM (#113401 - in reply to #113377)

majesticyoga - 2009-02-04 2:41 PM
I have had much positive feedback on my verbal cues. However, almost every class I have at least one completely new student, who's taking her very first yoga class, and who is clearly very much a visual learner.

What do you expect the student to learn visually???

And congratulations on the pregnancy.

Vicki
majesticyoga
Posted 2009-02-06 12:49 PM (#113438 - in reply to #113377)

Thanks very much indeed for the feedback everyone! It is all certainly helpful : )
Namasté

Posted 2009-02-06 2:57 PM (#113439 - in reply to #113438)

congratulations!

first, you can always design your class to fit you, and therefore take out whatever you don't want to demonstrate. i did that toward the very end of my pregnancy in the class where i demonstrated (and someone else assisted). no one minded. in fact, no one even noticed. LOL

but, othe than that one class, i teach off the mat nearly entirely (i love to assist), and do so with great success. when a student isn't getting it, i just say "look at the person next to you!" it's ok to simply do that, and as tourist said, you can always point out something that someone is doing really well-- "see what allison is doing? that's great!" or give them hands on assist to get to the pose or modification necessary.

second, the biggest thing that happened to me was that early in pregnancy, i was tired. i would drive my husband to work, drive myself to class, teach class, come home, eat and take a bath and a nap, then pick my husband up from work, go teach two classes back-to-back, and then come home and eat and go to bed. LOL! i think i slept 16 hrs a day or something. LOL!

third, you might also think about how you want to teach after you have the baby. i wrote about this in another thread, but i currently teach two private clients and 4 classes per week, plus teacher training every other weekend and the 'long class' once a month (it's a 3 hr class--we jokingly call it the "three hr tour!" after gilligan's island). i'm also hoping to start one or two "family classes" in my neighborhood. this will be a by-donation class with donations going to local children-and-family charities (right now, the food bank!).

i take hawk (that's my baby--he's 5 months old now) to every class save one. that one, my husband, my ILs, or my parents babysit for the 1.5 hrs because it's the class that i demonstrate (mentioned above) and it's tough to have the baby wrapped to me while demonstrating. LOL! otherwise, he's either nursing or wrapped up on my person. he LOVES to be in class with me and it has never been a problem. students seem to love to have him there too.

for me, it is a bit of a distraction because i am concerned about him and wanting him to be happy, settled, what have you. but, i'm able to assist and teach with no real problems. sometimes, i'll hand him off to a client to demonstrate a more difficult pose--and most the students *love* that.

it's great being pregnant, giving birth, and being a mom. for fun, here are a list of a few of my favorite books on the matter:

Thinking Women's Guide to Pregnancy and Birth by Henci Goer
The Continuum Concept by Jean L-- (can't remember the whole last name)
Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn
Everyday Mindfulness by John Kabot Zinn

there are others, of course, but these are kinda my favorites. have a great time! congratulations!
majesticyoga
Posted 2009-02-07 1:23 AM (#113457 - in reply to #113377)

zoebird thank you so much for your response. It was very informative and helpful to me. And, congratulations on your new baby too! I'll check into those books too. I'm always looking for good books, particularly on this subject of course. Thanks very much indeed. Take care!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)