YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone drink soy protein shakes?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

tmarques
Posted 2009-02-15 10:08 PM (#113663)
Subject: Does anyone drink soy protein shakes?

Guess I'm no longer young enough to completely ignore my diet and get away with it.

To make it short - I've noticed ashtanga got rid of the fat (yay) and is now after what little muscle mass I had. I have no idea how much protein I ingest in a day, but it's probably very little.

Does anyone use those soy protein powders and would recommend them? Should it be had before or after the practice? I can't help but remember the Southpark episode in which Cartman starts using that stuff and only manages to become obese.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
redrox
Posted 2009-02-16 1:56 AM (#113673 - in reply to #113663)
Subject: Re: Does anyone drink soy protein shakes?

I would get protein from real foods that contain protein, preferably also low in saturated fats. Fish, esp. those higher in omega oils are good sources of protein and the good fats have other positive health benefits. Cottage cheese is also a surprisingly high quality source of protein, but again stick to the lower fat or 2% versions. Quinoa is high protein seed/grain that can be used in place of rice and is much healthier for you than white rice. If you want to use soy as a source of protein, then eat edamame or soy beans as the whole bean. Or other beans/legumes that also have a protein component. Most people eat more protein than their body needs really. The bigger issue is typically the quality of the protein (determined by the range of amino acids present relative to the ones our bodies need and don't produce) and the presence of other unhealthy components like saturated animal fats that have a stronger linkage to higher levels of cholesterol and heart disease.

Typically protein is recommended post-exercise along with higher glycemic carbohydrates to help muscle tissue begin it's rebuilding process and to restore glycogen stores in the body which may have been depleted. Milk is often considered to be a good post exercise beverage as it contains some amount of both protein and natural sugars.

Edited by redrox 2009-02-16 2:00 AM
tourist
Posted 2009-02-16 10:02 AM (#113680 - in reply to #113673)

Expert Yogi

I use them on the very rare occasions when I know I will need a little boost of calories but won't be able to eat solid food. The odd time I go straight from teaching to a workshop, for example. When Mr. Tourist was into endurance sports we always had a bucket of some ungodly "power" powder of some description around. The one sitting in the top cupboard right now is probably two or three years out of date, so recently I have just been picking up a small tetra pack of soy milk when I need it. Seems to do the same job quite well. I need to clean out those cupboards...
Cyndi
Posted 2009-02-16 9:56 PM (#113706 - in reply to #113673)

Expert Yogi

I use Nature's Plus Spirutein Vanilla Soy High Protein Meal Powder for days that I don't want to eat heavy food. Most of the time I drink it with Soy milk cause I don't like milk. I like the vitamins and the energy that I get. Its great for me because of Bikram Yoga. I don't see a problem with this....you can drink one a day and eat a regular meal too. I usually do the protein in the evening or visa versa depending on my schedule.
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-02-16 11:05 PM (#113707 - in reply to #113663)
Subject: RE: Does anyone drink soy protein shakes?

I recommend you to srout the soyabeans and eat them sprouted raw. Soya powder is not as good, but I do not think it is a great harm though.

tmarques - 2009-02-15 10:08 PM

Guess I'm no longer young enough to completely ignore my diet and get away with it.

To make it short - I've noticed ashtanga got rid of the fat (yay) and is now after what little muscle mass I had. I have no idea how much protein I ingest in a day, but it's probably very little.

Does anyone use those soy protein powders and would recommend them? Should it be had before or after the practice? I can't help but remember the Southpark episode in which Cartman starts using that stuff and only manages to become obese.

Thanks!
Cyndi
Posted 2009-02-17 12:01 PM (#113718 - in reply to #113707)

Expert Yogi

Actually that is not a 100% true statement NB about soy powder not being good. It depends upon the quality of the company you get your soy products from. The one I use is a non-GMO variety and it is all natural...no chemicals...minimally processed - loaded with vitamins and minerals...even Bee Pollen....actually, its a tri-part Protein blend of rice, pea and soy with spirulina, yadda yadda. So, check the quality of what you purchase, that means everything.
hnia
Posted 2009-02-17 2:45 PM (#113731 - in reply to #113718)

I would eat fish, chicken and drink whole milk. Get your blood tested for cholesterol and if it is okay, you can enjoy lean proteins and whole milk.....
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-02-17 11:39 PM (#113744 - in reply to #113718)

Hurray: I am surely going to try this Soy thing when I come to NC mountains this year. However, what I am saying is: Actual Beans are better than powder. I am not saying powder is NON-Good. I want the powder when I come, with all that other goody.

Cyndi - 2009-02-17 12:01 PM

Actually that is not a 100% true statement NB about soy powder not being good. It depends upon the quality of the company you get your soy products from. The one I use is a non-GMO variety and it is all natural...no chemicals...minimally processed - loaded with vitamins and minerals...even Bee Pollen....actually, its a tri-part Protein blend of rice, pea and soy with spirulina, yadda yadda. So, check the quality of what you purchase, that means everything.
Cyndi
Posted 2009-02-19 9:05 AM (#113780 - in reply to #113744)

Expert Yogi

Okay NB, you can have that if you wish...and, I'll get you all the Edame you want

For what its worth....I don't digest soy beans that well, that is another reason I do the Soy Protein Powder....and also, because I like the vitamins and minerals in the particular brand that I use. Us old people have to use easy to digest materials, LOL!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)