YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

headstand float
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

tortoise
Posted 2009-02-24 9:45 AM (#113865)
Subject: headstand float

When floating up and down from headstand and coming down half way do you think you should tip the torso to shift the weight or keep the torso vertical and work the core? I guess this is a matter of opinion and strength but I am intersted to hear people's thoughts.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hnia
Posted 2009-02-24 10:25 AM (#113866 - in reply to #113865)
Subject: Re: headstand float

you have to "tip the torso." It still "works" the core.
tortoise
Posted 2009-02-24 12:55 PM (#113876 - in reply to #113865)

Hi hnia,

Thanks for your response. I tip the torso myself to float up myself and this is how I was taught. I realize now that it is also possible to do the same thing maintaining a vertical torso and this requires more muscular effort as you have not shifted the weight. I was told by a teacher that this vertical torso method is how you are "suposed" to do it. From my experience most people tip the torso as you have said.
hnia
Posted 2009-02-25 10:20 AM (#113920 - in reply to #113876)

sounds totally unnecessary. not sure why you would make the entrance and exit to it so difficult? Isn't the series hard enough?
patient@44
Posted 2009-02-25 4:01 PM (#113930 - in reply to #113920)

Tortoise, I have to agree with hnia, and I wonder why your teacher would tell you that ultimately the goal is to keep the torso completely vertical. In both David Swenson's book and Matthew Sweeney, their hips are tilted back slightly behind their shoulders. Swenson states: "As you enter this asana it will be necessary to push the hips back in order to compensate for the legs coming forward." It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that trying to NOT tip the torso would put an awful lot of strain on the lower back.

tortoise
Posted 2009-03-02 9:18 AM (#114063 - in reply to #113865)
Subject: RE: headstand float

Yes, I agree too. Thanks for clarification.
Bay Guy
Posted 2009-03-02 9:44 PM (#114093 - in reply to #114063)
Subject: RE: headstand float

Expert Yogi

Just thinking about it from the viewpoint of forces and moments, I'd say that tipping is probably essential to some degree...I guess that you can put more weight to the elbows (viz, balance the force couple of the legs with a greater reaction of the arms onto a shorter lever arm ... a knowledge of statics would help here, I guess..)....but you are still redistributing the force relative to a vertical position.

I would make this decision entirely on the basis of what was safe for my cervical spine. The rest is just a matter of what you wish to do...

.. but keep the knees extended and hold the shoulder blades onto the back and toward the hips.

.... bg
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)