YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginning class with a reading?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

bckilinn
Posted 2009-03-12 10:27 PM (#114510)
Subject: Beginning class with a reading?

Do you begin your yoga class with a reading to help set an intention? If so, where do you get these readings? I would like to start doing this and have only looked online for inspiring quotes, but would buy a book if it had some really great inspirational quotes or readings in it! thanks for any advice
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-03-13 2:46 AM (#114516 - in reply to #114510)
Subject: Re: Beginning class with a reading?

Hello Rebecca,

No I don't read at the beginning of class.
We spend that time drawing the mind into the breath, the breath into the body in order to come into the moment.

When the opening meditation is concluded I do have students look inside themselves (while in Namaskarasana in Virasana) and connect with their purpose or "intention" for being there (or "doing" yoga).

If at that time a student feels it is in their heart to "dedicate their practice" to someone or something that is fine. But I do not tell them to do so.

However if it is your calling as a teacher to do such reading there are many, many books for such things. Rumi is very popular and deservedly so. But again there are many books and I'd advocate finding one that speaks to you rather than me :-)

Edited by purnayoga 2009-03-13 2:47 AM
jimmyk007
Posted 2009-03-13 3:17 AM (#114517 - in reply to #114510)
Subject: RE: Beginning class with a reading?

In our case, we usually take the reading at home before or after every session. Short articles about yoga are given or emailed to us and it usually works better.

The reason behind it, according to our instructor, is that reading before every session takes time which you can use for you yoga exercises. And or yoga classes are paid per hour.

In my experience, it also make me feel better every time I read about something good about what I'm doing. The benefits and magics if you may.
bckilinn
Posted 2009-03-13 1:17 PM (#114524 - in reply to #114510)

Thanks for your responses, I will take them both to heart!

Posted 2009-03-13 1:26 PM (#114525 - in reply to #114510)

I find it very annoying when teachers start a class with a reading or a mini sermon. I start my classes with breathing and focusing on that breath and the body. I do not start my classes with reading for a number of reasons:

1. The students are paying for a yoga class not a sermon or a "bible" reading.

2. Different people in class have different religious and/or philosophical beliefs and I consider it unethical to alienate some students and impose my beliefs on others who do not specifically ask for them or are there for another purpose (yoga asana class). I consider it taking advantage of a captive audience and misusing whatever authority I have as the teacher to impose my personal beliefs on others. I have faith that whatever my student's personal beliefs, by taking yoga classes they are on a unique journey towards a healthier life, physically, mentally and spiritually. Since they are each on their own unique journey, who am I to try to control or manipulate it? All I can do is to share some tools that I have learned that have been helpful to me on my unique journey. (Exchanging opinions here on this forum is among equals and everyone is here for that purpose.)

3. I feel that I can teach a lot more about yoga philosophy with breath, movement, and how to find balance between tension and quiet by my example and how I teach rather than a bunch of words. I encourage the students to find their own answers in their own bodies and minds by being more relaxed and focused and aware of what is going on right now. I focus on helping the students integrate their mind/body/energy, not adding a lot more words to an already cluttered and fragmented mind.

4. I disagree with the idea of setting an intention. An "intention" is words in your head and not yoga. Everyone is already there with an intention: to experience a yoga class in their mind and body. That is the only intention you need. Yoga is self discovery and awareness. An "intention" prejudices your ability to have the totally open mind that is necessary for self discovery and awareness. Awareness is being aware of what "is". An intention is your limited mind deciding what "should be" and filtering out everything that does not fit your preconceived idea.

5. You learn yoga through actual experience and awareness. You learn dogma through words. The world has enough dogma to hate and fight wars until the end of time. We really could use a lot more quiet awareness.

tourist
Posted 2009-03-13 6:39 PM (#114528 - in reply to #114525)

Expert Yogi

Jim - our resident iconoclast. I sometimes have an interesting quotation that I toss out for general thought and possibly, but not usually, discussion. This week's happens to be: "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." Rainer Maria Rilke.

Posted 2009-03-13 7:06 PM (#114530 - in reply to #114528)

tourist, you should be submitting quotes for Starbucks coffee cups!

Although an odd quote, I like it!

May I add: "Der Zweck des Lebens ist das Leben selbst"- Heinrich Heine ("The purpose of life is life itself".)

Yes, thank you, I am an iconoclast. It is a tough job, but someone has to do it. It is really a public service that I do without pay; kind of my charity work.

Phil
Posted 2009-03-14 9:17 AM (#114535 - in reply to #114525)

Dear Rev. Jim.
Thanks for the sermon
A little preachy maybe?
belle vie
Posted 2009-03-14 10:01 AM (#114536 - in reply to #114510)

Veteran

Sorry, Tourist whatever you might call Jim, iconoclast won't do I pulled out my heavy tomes to make sure I was correct. An iconoclast is a destroyer of cherished beliefs or of images. By Jim's own confession he is is neither, in fact the opposite, I quote;

2. "Different people in class have different religious and/or philosophical beliefs and I consider it unethical to alienate some students and impose my beliefs on others who do not specifically ask for them or are there for another purpose (yoga asana class). I consider it taking advantage of a captive audience and misusing whatever authority I have as the teacher to impose my personal beliefs on others. I have faith that whatever my student's personal beliefs, by taking yoga classes they are on a unique journey towards a healthier life, physically, mentally and spiritually. Since they are each on their own unique journey, who am I to try to control or manipulate it? All I can do is to share some tools that I have learned that have been helpful to me on my unique journey. (Exchanging opinions here on this forum is among equals and everyone is here for that purpose.) "

Sorry, Jim, you'll have to find some other "tough job' and leave the smashing of the idols of devil worshipers to the real devils

As for the topic, as a student I prefer to begin the class centering myself, drawing into myself and recreating an awareness of self, in silence and in peace. Others seem to thrive on guided meditation or thoughts to guide our thinking. So, it comes down to what best guides the teacher. One advantage in doing yoga in a second language is that I can tune out what I don't want to hear, not that that is always the best course of action.

Posted 2009-03-14 1:06 PM (#114538 - in reply to #114535)

Phil - 2009-03-14 6:17 AM

Dear Rev. Jim.
Thanks for the sermon
A little preachy maybe?

Hi Phil,
As I said: "Exchanging opinions here on this forum is among equals and everyone is here for that purpose." I spare the people in my classes and save it all for you guys!
Jim

Posted 2009-03-14 1:13 PM (#114539 - in reply to #114536)

belle vie - 2009-03-14 7:01 AM

Sorry, Jim, you'll have to find some other "tough job' and leave the smashing of the idols of devil worshipers to the real devils

Elizabeth,
Thanks a lot for smashing my most coveted self image! (And that was the only one I had left. Now what can I do? My stocks are devalued and so is my self image. Is bankruptcy an option?)
Jim
belle vie
Posted 2009-03-14 1:31 PM (#114541 - in reply to #114510)

Veteran

Oops, so by smashing your most cherished image does that make me the resident iconoclast? Dubious distinction

Posted 2009-03-14 4:16 PM (#114543 - in reply to #114541)

belle vie,
Now that I've been already relegated to "has been" iconoclast, I can only say "Long live the Queen"! (My moment really wasn't as long as I had hoped. Is there a special nursing home where former iconoclasts can go to wait out their time?)
jimg

Posted 2009-03-14 6:29 PM (#114547 - in reply to #114525)

jimg - 2009-03-13 10:26 AM
.. You learn dogma through words...

And you've used 437 of them to say so :-)

Posted 2009-03-14 6:57 PM (#114548 - in reply to #114547)

purnayoga - 2009-03-14 3:29 PM

jimg - 2009-03-13 10:26 AM
.. You learn dogma through words...

And you've used 437 of them to say so :-)

I get paid by the word, sorry.
bckilinn
Posted 2009-03-14 9:52 PM (#114551 - in reply to #114510)

Hey everyone. So, I went back and forth until the morning of my class about what I was going to do about my reading. I completely understood what was said by those of you who responded - However, I had a friend who was coming to class and she had asked me to do a reading since her last teacher did it - at first I was hesitant since no two teachers are alike- but decided that I would for her - this is what I read:

A technique: A New Way of Being

Daily Stress can be dissolved by this technique. It greatly increases the vibrations of your non-physical higher self. The idea is, “smile at the world and the world will smile back at you.”
Imagine that you are smiling inwardly at your outer reality. Imagine that your smile is coming from a the deeper recesses of your mind – originating from w/in your heart area and that you are projecting that happiness and smile outward through your eyes and expression.
No matter what the circumstances are. You will find increasingly that your eyes will be smiling and so will your mouth, that will often curl up to a slight smile.
At the same time, imagine that your heart constantly expresses a great inward smile filled with pure joy of being alive – no matter what.
If this practice is continued, in a few weeks or so, you will notice an incredible amount of change. Not only in the way you interact w/ the ‘outside’ world, but also in how the ‘world’ acts and projects reality toward you.
Your fears and daily stress will begin to abate and an inner feeling of peace and love will emerge. Notice how people seek your presence and “inner Love”

~Namaste

I had a great response to it - a few of the students came to me after class and asked me if I could do it every time and they said they really liked it. I understand that preaching and speaking for 10-15 minutes might not be the way to go, but I think that in the initial relaxation or final relaxation - a short quote or paragraph giving a bit of inspiration is okay. For me it was anyways and I am glad that I followed my heart in the end.

thanks for allowing me to ask questions and get honest answers and opinions - it is very much appreciated.
juliet
Posted 2009-03-15 5:29 AM (#114554 - in reply to #114551)

I've been following the thread about readings before and after class. I've found if a teacher feels they want to share something they genuinely feel connected with before a class, it can help the focus of the class, and helps to bring the focus into the room, and leave other thoughts etc outside.

I don't think I see the point of giving a reading at the end of a practice before sivasana, (unless it's some kind guided or semi guided relaxation), as that's a time that I want to stay with the quiet and space created through my practice, and let go, relax and empty out. If your'e given a reading, it's just something else for your mind to lock onto and think about.
belle vie
Posted 2009-03-15 10:52 AM (#114561 - in reply to #114510)

Veteran

Hello juliet, I agree with you about readings or words of wisdom at the end of the class. Do what you will at the beginning but please leave me in peace within myself at the end. The world will be noisy enough the moment I walk out the door.

Not to worry Jim, with the current situation Warhol's 15 minutes of fame are worth only about one minute and a half so my time is already up.

Posted 2009-03-15 11:43 AM (#114562 - in reply to #114510)

<p>Now folks, how could you not enjoy this short little reading as we transition into savasana? </p><p>In life, there are only two things to worry about— Either you are well or you are sick. If you are well, there is nothing to worry about, But if you are sick, there are only two things to worry about— Either you will get well or you will die. If you get well, there is nothing to worry about, But if you die, there are only two things to worry about—Either you will go to heaven or hell. If you go to heaven, there is nothing to worry about. And if you go to hell, you’ll be so busy shaking hands and having a pint with all your friends You won’t have time to worry!</p>

(Guinness.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Guinness.jpg (49KB - 0 downloads)
Honeybee
Posted 2009-03-15 10:44 PM (#114580 - in reply to #114510)

Judith Hanson Lasater has a lovely book called a A Year of Living Your Yoga. It has daily readings of practices to try. Amazon has an excerpt of it you can see. I use it in my own practice and in my yoga club (see my introductory post). When/if I start teaching, I'm not sure if I'll use it. I'll probably wait to see what my students are like and try to guage whether or not to bring it in.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)