YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anxiety before teaching
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

bckilinn
Posted 2009-03-21 11:27 AM (#114776)
Subject: Anxiety before teaching

I know that this topic has probably been covered extensively. But, here is my life situation-

In 2002, I took my teacher training and became trained in Sivananda Yoga. I taught for 2-3 years, took 2 years off from teaching (barely even took classes - I got caught up being a student and working late hours) But then I realized that I wanted yoga in my life once again - so I began trying various types - hot yoga being one of my new favorites. The owner of the studio there kept telling me that she wanted me to teach for her. I told her that I wasn't trained in hot yoga, but she kept pushing me to do so and of course I wanted to begin teaching again. So, I tried a few times and it just didn't work out the way I planned. I only ended up teaching there 3 times before the owner told me that it wasn't working out (I asked some of the long term students how they liked class and what they may not have liked - she didn't like this because she said it showed uncertainty and lack of confidence). It was okay - I was crushed, but I also was never officially trained in this type of yoga -

I began teaching in my area at a local gym. I have been teaching there for about a year now w/ a few months off. I like to try new things - add in a few power poses, partner poses, and flow. I really plan for each class. I spend days during the week planning and practicing and reading - just trying to incorporate a bit of everything so that I can challenge but yet relax my students. When I am alone, the words flow and I know exactly what I want to say. However, the day before and the morning of my classes, I get so anxious and nervous. I almost feel as though I do not want to go - it makes me so sad to feel this way because I feel that it's a gift to be able to lead anyone through a yoga class - because I love it so much and I want to share that feeling with everyone.

But why? Why do I get like this and how can I make it go away? My students tell me they enjoy my class and they had fun (especially now that I have added in a few partner poses) but sometimes it's such a struggle for me. I wish that I could just teach as though yoga was an extension of myself - w/o script - I want the words to flow from my mouth and I want all of my words to come out right.

Any suggestions, similar stories, or words of wisdom? I appreciate you all reading my post and I hope that somehow I become more comfortable doing what I love to do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-03-21 11:47 AM (#114777 - in reply to #114776)
Subject: Re: Anxiety before teaching

Rebecca, I'm adverse to even intoning I know the answer to your situation. Being limited to what you've written, the studio owner who said you showed uncertainty and lack of confidence seems to have identified what causes you anxiety--and you've kinda backed that up and are making it a perpetuating weight on your mind. Is this anxiety only felt in your yoga teaching role or in other aspects of your life? A little "stage fright" is normal and a good thing--gets the energy level up. What kind of feedback are you getting from your students and boss at the current local gym? Hopefully with some more information, we can offer some help.
bckilinn
Posted 2009-03-21 11:59 AM (#114778 - in reply to #114776)

My students usually always give good feedback - today they all stayed to chat and a few walked out saying that it was a really fun class -

I think my problem began from taking so much time off - but I spend so much time self-studying. You are probably right Bruce, I think that I have it in my mind - what the studio owner told me and I have carried that with me and made it my reality.

Some days I am better than others, some days it is just stage fright - other days I am just very nervous.

Honestly, I am really thinking about taking a teacher training in another discipline since I like to add various types to my classes anyways - but I think it would boost my confidence and refresh what I already know and add to my knowledge of yoga. Money is tight right now, but it is something I would like to do in the future - hopefully the near future.
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-03-21 12:13 PM (#114779 - in reply to #114778)

IMHO: You are being too serious or meticulous. For some time, do not prepare for the class, and teach as you like. If you want more help, see me.
bckilinn
Posted 2009-03-21 12:27 PM (#114780 - in reply to #114776)

What is IMHO? I would like more help, when I get home from work, I am going to check out your website. Ha, I just realized what IMHO is I like that.

Posted 2009-03-21 2:27 PM (#114789 - in reply to #114776)

Hello Rebecca,

There are two things which I believe are at play here. The first is protection of the almighty Ego. The second is the harmony that radiates from each of us when we have identified our purpose in life and are living from it.

Generally, that thing which makes us nervous before teaching is the fear of not being liked or accepted by others, or looking foolish (which is not being liked or accepted by others). This is purely the ego. It is not bad, it is not good. But it is surely the ego.

This sort of thing is ironed out in a sound teacher training. Unfortunately there aren't many of those around where the ego is even mentioned let alone checked. So sad. But what can we do?

The second thing I mention is the connection we develop to our individual purpose for being here, our svadharma. When we live outwardly in a way that we do not believe inwardly then we create disharmony in our lives. So many people are in misery from lack of connection to their purpose. When we cultivate the ability to go into the heart center, quiet and transform the vocalizations of the mental and vital forces, then we can find our true purpose and move forward from it.

When we connect with our purpose AND that purpose is to teach yoga, amazing things happen - you are comfortable in your skin, your body heals, you become a conduit for yoga to pass from masters to students...and there is very little in the way of anxiety or nervousness as you are merely radiating what is inside you without a care in the world who likes it or you.

Some, I know, will tell you that teaching more will cure the shakes. And that is only a thin layer of truth - though it may be the only truth for them. And you may find that you can bolster your ego and thicken your veneer to get this done. However I'd advocate the opposite - quieting your ego and removing your veneer.

Edited by purnayoga 2009-03-21 2:35 PM
bckilinn
Posted 2009-03-21 8:14 PM (#114795 - in reply to #114776)

Purnayoga,

So true, I know that it's my ego - I really dislike that I care so much about what others think. I wish that it would all just go away, but yes, my ego is still so dominant in my life. How do I get to that place you speak of? Sometimes I think that I should stop teaching for some time and come back only when I feel 100% ready. I don't want to do a disservice to my students and it gets difficult for me too (to put myself through all of the worry) -

I do know and feel that this is something I truly want to do - I want to share yoga with everyone - I just want to feel right about doing it.

Edited by bckilinn 2009-03-21 8:15 PM

Posted 2009-03-21 8:31 PM (#114797 - in reply to #114776)

Rebecca--I think if one waited until one was 100% ready, nothing would ever get accomplished. Before I taught I worried if I'd ever be good enough. Realized eventually I just have to be me--and it actually works. As teachers we're like anything--some will like us and some won't--just like you like somethings and don't like others--so adopt Popeyes's motto, "i yam what I yam and that's all that I yam..."
bckilinn
Posted 2009-03-21 10:04 PM (#114800 - in reply to #114797)

Thanks for the smile Bruce!! "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam..."

Posted 2009-03-22 9:54 PM (#114841 - in reply to #114776)
Subject: RE: Anxiety before teaching

What you are experiencing is called "performance anxiety". It is common. Many actors, musicians, public speakers etc have experienced this and either learned to live with it or overcome it. There are many techniques, from imagining everyone in the class to be naked or in their underwear to taking drugs (beta-blockers). Generally, breathing exercises and relaxation before class help, as does focusing more on your students and what they are doing and less on yourself and what you are doing. If you can stop criticizing yourself while you teach, it will help. If you take that part of your mind that is holding back and criticizing everything that you do and engage it in encouraging your students, you will overcome the anxiety in no time. Remember that as Bruce said, a little tension adds energy and makes you do better.

Posted 2009-03-23 2:28 AM (#114845 - in reply to #114776)

Hmmm actors, musicians, public speakers, yoga teachers. Interesting genus.

There are certainly some yoga teachers who perform.
tourist
Posted 2009-03-23 10:12 AM (#114851 - in reply to #114845)

Expert Yogi

What I am hearing is a need/desire to please your class and be liked. While this is naturally a desirable thing, and having unhappy students is never going to be a great situation, it is not perhaps as important as you think it is. Your job is to teach them what you know of yoga, that's it. Teach what you know and don't add in so many things that you may not be well trained in. Practice what you are going to teach the whole week before you teach it. Don't rehearse your class, just practice it. Use notes so you don't lose track. It will help solidify the class in your body and head and will also give you some idea of the results of each practice.

As someone else has said, no class will make every person happy. It doesn't work that way. People are different and desire different experiences. All you can do is pass on what you have been taught in the most authentic and sincere way you know. If the students flock to your classes, you can be thankful you have the opportunity to teach. If not, as BKS Iyengar says, you will have more time to practice.
belle vie
Posted 2009-03-23 10:25 AM (#114852 - in reply to #114776)
Subject: RE: Anxiety before teaching

Veteran

Hello Rebecca, I'm an not a Yoga teacher but I feel that on this forum I can join in. I have taught all my life except when I was a student. I feel that teaching is a performance. Gorden stated that some yoga teachers perform. I would say that in order to teach you must perform --ok leave off the stage makeup because teaching yoga is not the same as your practice. A teacher must be well prepared, know what you want to say and WHY you want to say it.

A teacher must engage the students from the beginning. You are trying to give them something so part of you job is to make them receptive. Teaching yoga to me is often the opposite of your own practice. You must look outward, not inward. Focus on the students not yourself.

Your breathing will not be yogic because you must be heard and understood. The cadence of your speech changes from normal speech to that of an actor--ok it's not Hamlet- . You are preforming and when you feel the students are grooving with you , that's your Oscar.

I suggest practice, practice, practice, in front of your dog, a doll, friends, the mirror. Do not go into a class unprepared, know your yoga, know what you want to teach and why. Take a few moments for breathing exercises to calm yourself, put a smile on your face, say hello and then you are ON-go for it. You should be too busy to focus on yourself

Am I being a little over dramatic

Posted 2009-03-23 1:45 PM (#114863 - in reply to #114845)

purnayoga - 2009-03-22 11:28 PM

Hmmm actors, musicians, public speakers, yoga teachers. Interesting genus.
There are certainly some yoga teachers who perform.

These are all people who get up in front of other people and do something. The anxiety is from getting up and doing something in front of others, regardless of the content of what you are doing. Teachers are all performers to a certain extent, although some much more than others.

Posted 2009-03-23 2:10 PM (#114864 - in reply to #114851)

Tourist (Glenda) makes a really good point about being liked. Focus on what you are giving instead of what you are getting. Focus on the message and not the messenger. Although we all want to be liked, if you are trying to be liked, you are trying to get something. If you are trying to get something, the students are dominant; they are the active ones (the givers) and you are passive (the receiver). If you are trying to give something, you are dominant; you are the active one (the giver) and they are the passive ones (the receivers). In the role of teacher, you need to be dominant. That does not mean that you should be a tyrant and cannot be flexible or easygoing, but you need to be in charge. Giving puts you in control.

This is not a moral question about giving being better than receiving, this is a practical question about what works in a class environment, with you standing up front and trying to accomplish something.

bckilinn
Posted 2009-03-27 8:23 AM (#114987 - in reply to #114776)

Great advice everyone - I have read and reread all responses. Each one of you has helped me in some way. Sometimes when I am on my way to class I breathe deeply and I tell myself that people are coming to my class because they want a great yoga class from me - and so this is what I have to give - no time to be nervous and mess up my words - Just teach them what I know. I also sometimes tell myself that the nervousness is just excitement. That helps too - and that is one is probably true.

I am more nervous at times when certain people are in attendance - what does this say about me? My guess would be is that I want to be liked by that person and do the very best that I can do. I feel that I really need to stop worrying about these types of things and focus more on my message. I have so much to give and I want to share yoga with anyone and everyone - so I just have to allow myself.

I just purchased "A Year of Living Your Yoga" and on my next scheduled class to teach (March 2 the reading is: "To teach is to honor your clarity and truth. No matter how much you know, it touches others when you speak CLEARLY from your own truth. Speak to your child or spouse or coworker today from your own knowing."

How cool is that? Seems to be a message for me Thanks again everyone. I look forward to hearing more from you all and hopefully helping one of you w/ something one day.

Posted 2009-03-27 8:45 AM (#114988 - in reply to #114776)

Sounds like you've come to grips with the major aspects of your situation Rebecca and rock on speaking from your own knowing.
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-03-27 12:08 PM (#114989 - in reply to #114988)

Hurray. I mean, Hurray OM.

Edited by kulkarnn 2009-03-27 12:09 PM
tourist
Posted 2009-03-27 7:02 PM (#115002 - in reply to #114989)

Expert Yogi

Love it, Neel!
mettagrl
Posted 2009-04-03 6:34 PM (#115185 - in reply to #114776)

Something I've started doing that has been working for me: I've formed an analogy between a pose and teaching, specifically Tadasana. Many of the cues for this pose apply to all other poses. One can move into other poses using the basics learned in this pose.
So... what I've done is applied this to my teaching: If I am able to teach Tadasana, if I'm able to teach the basics, then that is an excellent starting point, a place from which to establish confidence in my teaching abilities, and forming a stable foundation for my teaching to grow and expand, just as my practice of yoga expands, in its own time and as it evolves.

I cue this pose out loud (while practicing solo) to "remind" myself I'm grounded. This has taken away a great deal of stage fright for me, but I like to think in metaphors & analogies. I tell myself something along the lines of, "If you can teach this, and teach it well, you can teach anything."

It works for me; maybe it will help.

I'm a bit out of practice posting & typing & seem to have abandoned basic grammar rules & posting-clarity today; upon re-reading this later, I may edit & try again to ensure some semblance of my actual point made it through.

Edited by mettagrl 2009-04-03 6:40 PM
bckilinn
Posted 2009-04-04 11:23 AM (#115198 - in reply to #114776)

I taught a class today and I think it went great! They seem to be getting better and better. Maybe just expressing how I felt and then being reassured has helped me.

I have been educating myself - really educating - finding benefits of many of the postures and correct alignment. Planning my classes (not always referring to what I planned, but it's there if I need it). The poses that I plan I practice and I really look into cues that will help me teach my class and make sure the students are doing the poses correctly and not hurting themselves.

I am also trying to not be so serious. A little conversation or a joke made in class seems to lighten the mood - but not a forced joke or comment - only when it feels right. I tell myself that I have a gift - the gift to be able to share yoga with others. This brings me a lot of comfort and I relax more and I enjoy more.

It's all a learning experience. I also went for a walk early this morning before class and I really tried to connect with everything around me as I breathed in fresh crisp air and said hello to the morning sun. I felt grounded and I felt great

Every bit of advice you all have given me has helped. But I realized that I needed to find the confidence within and let it shine through. No one wanted to see me fail, they came to me to show them something that I know about - and that's what I am going to do.

Wtih Love,
Becky

Edited by bckilinn 2009-04-04 11:25 AM

Posted 2009-04-04 2:09 PM (#115202 - in reply to #114776)

Congrats Becky! I love the joking part--yoga ain't supposed to hurt and I think it's supposed to be fun as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)