YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Payment for teaching
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

omshanti
Posted 2009-03-21 1:51 PM (#114784)
Subject: Payment for teaching

I recently applied for a 6-month yoga teaching position abroad and was asked to submit my remuneration package. This made me start calculating my self worth in monetary terms. After adding the costs of expenses, time invested to teach 21 classes a week, being at the 500ryt level with 2yrs experience etc. It turned out my perceived value for my services was not favourable.

The employer claimed they offered the lowest prices in town so that others can have a chance to discover yoga without money being an obstacle.

I came up with a few suggestions:
They could get student teachers in training to volunteer and teach classes but the employer said he was not going to exploit them and make money out of them to pay for the main teacher.

Pay by donation class (teacher teaches for free) (where the money/food or clothing goes to a charity) and he suggested a community Yoga class once a week by donation from my own pocket money.

Recruit volunteers to help out at the centre, at reception, tea time, cleaning, setting up, promotion, etc in exchange for free yoga classes but he suggested I could do so and not have to pay someone to do that so the centre can save cost.

Were these suggestions I made out of order? These were ideas that I myself had seen in practice elsewhere. I know that you should not expect to be making huge financial gains as a yoga teacher but should you expect to be making less than minimum wage or nothing at all?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-03-21 2:11 PM (#114787 - in reply to #114784)
Subject: Re: Payment for teaching

Actually your perceived value was very favorable - but perhaps not so to the place looking to hire.

My sense here is that superficial changes for that organization are pointless in light of their intention. You cannot externally go against what they are telling you is their deep internal mission. If that is their dharma - to offer discount yoga or free yoga or yoga to anyone regardless of their ability to pay - that is beautiful FOR THEM.

Some teachers seem to be called to teach for nothing and charge nothing. More power to them. Others do it not from a deep calling but from an ignorance of yoga itself and/or a desire to be seen as spiritual or kind or compassionate.

Ergo I don't feel that your suggestions are out of line generally, but they are out of line for that place as they seem counter to their stated mission - real or imagined.

When we presume students can't afford we also facilitate them not affording.
A sliding scale for some, those who have already carefully looked at their expenditures, earnestly have no funds, and are committed...perhaps. An open door for anyone to claim hardship creates a gap for lack of commitment to the practice. Many people claim they can't afford yoga when what is actually happening is that they do not value the teaching enough to apportion their funds accordingly.

Edited by purnayoga 2009-03-21 2:14 PM

Posted 2009-03-21 5:53 PM (#114791 - in reply to #114784)

i agree with purna.

there's nothing out of line with what you did, generally, but it's not necessarily in line with whatever this guy's ideas are. if you really want to work/be there, then your best bet is to ask what he wants to pay, and from there, decide if it is worth it to you.

for example, i was willing to work at one studio for far less than my value. the reason was because i wanted a certain thing out of it--they worked with a population that really interested me and would stretch me as a teacher. so, i decided to work there for very little money. the benefits that i got were immense.

but, there are other places where i wouldn't work there no matter what they paid, and other places where i'm willing to negotiate so long as my needs (and theirs) can be adequately and happily met.

if this place cannot meet your needs, then it wouldn't be a positive work environment for you, and therefore i wouldn't recommend it. but, if they can--even if you get paid less--then it would be positive work environment and happy for you.

good luck!
omshanti
Posted 2009-03-22 3:11 PM (#114827 - in reply to #114784)

Thank you so much for providing your insight. I completely agree with the both of you and I only wish I could have expressed my views with the same clarity.

I am very grateful to have found advice and support available through this yoga forum.

Namaste

Posted 2009-03-22 8:16 PM (#114838 - in reply to #114784)

You are welcome, of course.

Clarity comes from an urge to grow, a willingness to change, applied effort, the appropriate teacher, and patience, Oddly enough, the same five characteristics needed by one pursuing yoga.

Edited by purnayoga 2009-03-22 8:18 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)