YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hyperextension in cobra
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

bckilinn
Posted 2009-03-28 11:25 AM (#115013)
Subject: Hyperextension in cobra

While in cobra today, a student said, "Aren't I hyperextending my back here? Should I be doing this?"

I think this type of hyperextension is good for the spine and it's basically unsafe on the back when a lot of weight is involved (weight lifting). What are your thoughts on this and does anyone have any modifications that they use instead if someone is really worried about this type of hyperextension? I worry - becuase many poses in yoga are a hyperextension of the back: wheel, locust, cobra, camel.....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-03-29 9:29 AM (#115030 - in reply to #115013)
Subject: Re: Hyperextension in cobra

hyperextension is straightening that goes past and beyond the healthy range of the joints.

correct asana is NOT hyperextensions, but healthy extension.

the backbends you mention are NOT appropriate for everyone, nor are they hyperextension for many practitioners.

Posted 2009-04-01 1:57 PM (#115130 - in reply to #115013)

Hello Rebecca,

If the student is doing Bhujangasana AND in so doing they are tossing their head back and compressing the vertebrae in the lumbar spine then yes they are hyperextending those segments of the spine.

There is very little I can think of with the prefix of "hyper" that is good for us - hyper tension, hyper active, hyper mobile..

Back bending is extension of the spine. Students should have instruction in how to do so safely. This includes actions in the body to create uniformity (of the curve) in backbending. Uniformity in backbending inhibits hyper extension. Some students do fold the spine in order to accomplish the poses you outline. However when soundly instructed students not ready to go there safely do not and those ready to go there do so with the actions necessary to prevent hyperextension in the lumbar and cervical spine.
bckilinn
Posted 2009-04-01 6:35 PM (#115136 - in reply to #115013)

Thank you everyone!

Posted 2009-04-02 7:11 PM (#115151 - in reply to #115013)

also, i have them do it with 'no hands.' by this, i mean that i have them put their arms into position (and hands into position) and then while they are still resting chest and forehead on the floor, i tell them to lift their hands 1/4 inch off the floor. then, i tell them to lift the chest into cobra--which typically prevents hyper extention.

it is also helpful to remind them of the proper leg position and putting energy into the legs--such that cobras only have one tail (got that from dharma mittra), and that they lift their heads from their tails and up the spine. i find this helps them draw out of the lower back even more, so there's no compression there.

and seriously, i get questions like this all the time, and i say "no" in response to them. sometimes, i extend that to "no, because the alignment is proper this way and will increase X (flexibility, etc).

it's easy enough to just answer in this way while in class and then say "i'll explain after class" or something.

essentially, the old cartman's "respect my au-thor-i-tie!"
bckilinn
Posted 2009-04-02 9:15 PM (#115152 - in reply to #115013)

Thanks Zoebird - I like those ideas! I have them lift the hands a lot - usually a prepratory postion. This way I feel it shows them what they should use the most to lift - their lower back muscles. BUT I really like your comment about the tail. By explaining it this way, it really seems it will help lengthen BEFORE lifting great advice!
tourist
Posted 2009-04-03 10:01 AM (#115163 - in reply to #115152)

Expert Yogi

The Iyengar teachers in my neighbourhood also remember the cobra has only one tail as well. There is also a story about BKS and a student who wanted to know the correct hand position for cobra. BKS reminded him that a cobra also does not have hands, so eventually the pose needs to be done with the arms at the sides and not touching the floor at all.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-04-03 10:50 AM (#115166 - in reply to #115013)

That's clever. I guess that means I can give up on Scorpion because I really don't see how I'm going to grow all those extra arms.
tourist
Posted 2009-04-03 7:21 PM (#115187 - in reply to #115166)

Expert Yogi

Yay! Another reason to not worry about never getting to Scorpion!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)