YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga for Fever, Cold, Flu
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Yoga TherapyMessage format

tomoko
Posted 2009-04-09 12:30 PM (#115274)
Subject: Yoga for Fever, Cold, Flu

Hello,

I recently started practicing yoga (which I am very pleased with) and was just wondering whether anyone would recommend yoga when one has a cold, fever or flu? If so, what types/postures?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-04-09 1:25 PM (#115278 - in reply to #115274)
Subject: RE: Yoga for Fever, Cold, Flu

A very gentle, restorative practice can be helpful when ill as it can strengthen the immune system. A vigorous practice would be problematic. When you are sick, the best advice is the old "drink plenty of fluids and rest." If the yoga practice is restful, then it can be helpful. If it is active, it will only use up energy that is better spent getting well.

If you have a fever, stay in bed and drink plenty of water so you don't get dehydrated. Once the fever is gone, gentle stretching is fine.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-04-09 3:18 PM (#115282 - in reply to #115278)
Subject: Re: Yoga for Fever, Cold, Flu

I haven't had a fever or the flu since I've started. I don't know if that has been a benefit or simply coincidence. I have practiced through a few colds, and I think that doing yoga helped knock out the ill effects of the colds faster than usual. I don't have any scientific evidence for this opinion; it was just my impression at the time. And, so you know, my practice is going to the Bikram beginning class, which is typically very vigorous. Of course, we are told to adjust our practice to our bodies each day. With a cold, that means quite a bit of the vigor might drop out of the practice, but I still would not call it gentle.

This is an area where I don't think there can be a single prescription. People differ, and illnesses vary. Thus, the proper course of action to take will not always be the same.
tomoko
Posted 2009-04-10 9:47 PM (#115306 - in reply to #115282)

I was thinking similarly. Generally, I wouldn't do too much, but some gentle postures would be fine I think. Are there any postures you'd recommend NOT to do? Like I don't think it's good to do inverted poses when you have a cold.

Edited by tomoko 2009-04-10 9:55 PM
timeforlife03
Posted 2009-04-16 2:25 PM (#115439 - in reply to #115274)

Another question. Does anyone take any vitamins or herbal teas or extracts when they have a cold? That's great to know that yoga can help beat a cold faster.
iengbersen
Posted 2009-06-17 6:37 PM (#116557 - in reply to #115274)

I did yoga the other day and they cranked up the heat to 100 degrees. I don't think I'll go back. I guess it's the same feeling.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)