YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meditation at hom
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

sybil
Posted 2009-04-16 3:54 PM (#115441)
Subject: Meditation at hom

Hello,
I could use some good advice on how to keep your mind focus when practicing by yourself.
I've created a 30 days of yoga challenge for myself and sometimes find it difficult to focus when I am practicing by myself in my home.
I have an easier time focusing when I use a DVD and of coarse when I'm in class. But it's harder to for me to instruct myself on what to do and keep my mind from wandering at the same time

Any suggestions?

cheers,
Sybil
www.fitlink.com/groups-sybils30daysofyoga

Top of the page Bottom of the page
David
Posted 2009-04-16 4:13 PM (#115443 - in reply to #115441)
Subject: Re: Meditation at hom

Hi Sybil.

I've had that issue myself at times. Over the past few years it has subsided, but I certainly do appreciate being guided through a class so I don't have to focus on anything else by his/her voice and my own body sensations.

I find that listening to music that feels engaging to you, something not too distracting and simple enough that it calms the mind. I have also found meditation recordings or, as you said, classes on video, to be quite helpful when doing yoga at home. Other than that, simply practice being aware of body sensations... watching yourself, listening deeply and experimenting with moving your body in different ways and breathing deeply.

If you are looking for free videos of classes and poses online, or free audio meditations, I highly recommend a website called Do Yoga With Me. I do classes on that site quite often and I have downloaded a couple of the audio meditations to listen to at the end of my practice of before I go to bed.

Here's the link:

http://www.doyogawithme.com/

You have to sign up before you can access anything... it takes about 10 seconds.

Namaste!
sybil
Posted 2009-04-17 4:53 PM (#115457 - in reply to #115441)

Thank David,
I hadn't thought about turning on music. Silly yogi. That is certain to help! I will check out doyogawithme! I'll test out the music addition and let you know how it works out. I'm a dancer by trade, so music is my second life blood, outside of movement.

sybil
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-04-30 2:07 AM (#115628 - in reply to #115441)
Subject: RE: Meditation at hom

Suggestions: 1. See whether you can get a buddy to practice with you, not talk while doing Yoga, but may be talk and have coffee etc after the practice. 2. Do some kind aphorisms prayer before starting to keep yourself on track.

Best wishes.

sybil - 2009-04-16 3:54 PM

Hello,
I could use some good advice on how to keep your mind focus when practicing by yourself.
I've created a 30 days of yoga challenge for myself and sometimes find it difficult to focus when I am practicing by myself in my home.
I have an easier time focusing when I use a DVD and of coarse when I'm in class. But it's harder to for me to instruct myself on what to do and keep my mind from wandering at the same time

Any suggestions?

cheers,
Sybil

ZenYoga
Posted 2009-06-26 6:00 AM (#116698 - in reply to #115441)

Music is certainly a great way of concentrating. Besides that, you can constantly keep the image of the divine power in your mind and concentrate. You are sure to get good results.
Jenifer.Hudsons
Posted 2009-09-10 7:08 PM (#118271 - in reply to #115441)

Music is definitely the a way to go. I listen to music from relaxationtunes.com but I am still looking for great music advice.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-09-16 5:25 PM (#118400 - in reply to #115441)

Extreme Veteran

sybil - 2009-04-16 3:54 PM

Hello,

Any suggestions?

cheers,
Sybil

Namaste!

If you can concentrate on your breathing then you can keep your mind focus, when practicing yoga by yourself at home. You can also concentrate on the postures, the benefit of the postures that you are doing and how it effects in the related body part, while holding the pose.

Thanks & best wishes

Jayguruji

emofree
Posted 2009-09-16 8:52 PM (#118407 - in reply to #115441)

Well I think if would concentrate on music when you are doing yoga I suggest a more classical music would be great while doing a yoga.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2009-09-16 9:49 PM (#118413 - in reply to #118407)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, I agree,

Sometimes classical music is great....

Posted 2009-09-28 12:15 PM (#118707 - in reply to #115441)

sybil - 2009-04-16 12:54 PM

Hello,

Hello Sybil,

I'm not sure you are still checking in with this thread.
Music may of course be the perfect thing for you to solve this piece that has come up.

I personally do not suggest it for several reasons (but again, if it works for you then rock on). The larger reason is that yoga itself is the shift from defining ourselves by things outside of ourselves to defining ourselves by that which lies within. It is the nature of yoga to bring the mental force away from the extrinsic and toward the intrinsic.

If that is an accepted position, then adding external references would impair that process - though it may, like ice cream, feel amazing in the moment.

I would suggest that what you are facing IS yoga. It is the retraining of the mind when it is most resistant. It is the interferences and frustrations. It is the lack of calm when calm is expected, the lack of energy when energy is needed, the lack of focus when concentration is mandated. You're actually doing the yoga. Why circumnavigate it?

gordon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)