YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Did I injure myself badly?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

IslandStyle
Posted 2009-04-25 12:24 PM (#115546)
Subject: Did I injure myself badly?

Hello, I'm new to the website and this is my first post.

Let me explain my situation as breif as I can. I tried Yoga once with my sister-in-law and got hooked. I've now practiced for a year this past month, and I do multiple routines averaging 3-4 times a week. With my life/schedule and where I live, I can't exactly go to a Yoga class unfortunately. So everything I've learned and done has been self taught with research. However, I believe I may have injured my back through lack of understanding forward bends until only recently (and I still don't know if I really understand it!).

Because I can't go to a class where I live, I started by Netflixing some different DVD's to see what I like. Out of the variety, I loved the Power Yoga video that Rodney Yee put out so I bought my own (along with his AM Yoga for mornings when I can).

What I understand now is that although the DVD and practice is enjoyable and challenging, it's not explained as well as it could've been for the many people in my situation. After a years worth (again an average of 1-2 times a week that I could do Power Yoga) of practicing, I started having back pain right on the line of my middle to lower back area. At the end of the hour long video I would rest in corpse pose as instructed and feel a moderate discomfort in my mid/lower back. Only recently (2 months now) that "discomfort" has followed me around a couple times throughout the day, and I suffer from it EVERY morning when I get out of bed (that's when it's the worst, and after a couple hours it's gone most of the time). Through research, I realized that I was ROLLING my back in forward bends and until I heard another teacher explain it, I didn't understand any other way fold forward. Now I understand that forward bends must be done in the hips/hamstrings, and MUST NOT BE FORCED which I thought was okay to do to progress. Granted, when I started I could barely touch my toes in a seated forward bend, and now I can lay my hands flat on the back of my feet. However, prior to stretching, if I lay on my back I cannot bring one leg up to a 90 degree angle (unless I use a strap and pull!), so I'm told that I may have tight hamstrings and thats why my forward bends led to hurting me the way I was "challenging myself" with them.

Can I make this worse? Sure. I'm a police officer, so I sit in a car 12 hours a day . And there were 3 shifts that I worked in the past couple months that I had to keep getting out of the car because my back hurt so bad (I even did a couple upward dogs next to my car for a little instant relief LOL).

Now, I found a restorative back Yoga set on YogaJournal.com that took about 20 minutes in various positions. I tried it 2 days ago before I went to work, and did not need Motrin, it was that effective, even when I woke up the next morning. I still had a small feeling in my back that reminded me it's still there, but NO PAIN whatsoever! I was so amazed, I'm about to do it a second time as soon as I'm done typing this!

Any suggestions? I avoid doctors like I avoid nice walks through fire, and I see there's many professionals on this site, so I'm curious to hear any thoughts on if I may have permanantly damaged something or not. Thank you, and I look forward to a long future on this site and in Yoga.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-04-25 5:07 PM (#115547 - in reply to #115546)
Subject: RE: Did I injure myself badly?

Welcome,
I recommend the following: Every morning when you are in the shower, exhale as you bend forward with bent knees and touch the floor, with the hot water on your lower back and hamstrings. Now, gently straighten your legs and hold for five to ten breaths. Inhale back up with bent knees. Repeat.

In addition, as many times as you can, do cobra four breaths, child eight breaths and repeat four times. Follow with Supine spinal twist (both shoulders flat on the floor and bring your right knee over to your left side, hips stacked) once on each side. If you want more complete instructions, please let me know what your email address is.
Jim
Nick
Posted 2009-04-27 3:16 PM (#115581 - in reply to #115546)

" I started having back pain right on the line of my middle to lower back area. At the end of the hour long video I would rest in corpse pose as instructed and feel a moderate discomfort in my mid/lower back. "

Hi,
That's the statement that really screams out at me-so many students find this, and it's usually the ones with tight hip flexors-so that when they lie down on the floor, their lumbar spine is pulled into hyper-extension so they crush the nerves/joints. With all the driving you are doing, which tightens the hip flexors, it might not be so surprising. What do you think?

Nick
IslandStyle
Posted 2009-04-27 3:58 PM (#115583 - in reply to #115546)

I definately have tight hamstrings! I can't bring my legs/feet up to a 90degree angle when lying down. And yeah, I do a LOT of driving. I'm in my car probably 80-90 percent of each 12 hour shift. I was gonna work on hamstring exercises aside from my Yoga practice, however I've put everything on hold except the 'viniyoga' restorative back set I'm doing right now due to this problem.

In reference to your statement about students having this back soarness problem in corpse pose... I assume your also talking about AFTER a Yoga set, correct? Because I don't recall having any problems just lying straight, it's only after my incorrect forward bends.

And I did narrow this pain down to forward bends, because some of the AM Yoga series I do such as "hip openers" and "twists" leave me with no pain afterwards.

I'm considering visiting a chiropractor just to get assessed because I'm really nervous that I might have done some damage. Only because days afterwards without doing Yoga, I would still wake up with horrible soarness, however it would TOTALLY disappear within a couple hours. But this went on for a couple months because I had just bought a new matress and the whole time I thought maybe it was the bed!!!!!!!! So here I was still forcing too much into these standing and seated forward bends the whole time. Now, I maintain the viniyoga back restoration set, and I have no pain... however, I can still feel the section of my back, almost like a "knot" (metaphorically speaking of course), and it follows me around all day and night.

Thank you for your continued inputs everyone too, I greatly appreciate it.
Nick
Posted 2009-04-28 1:28 AM (#115585 - in reply to #115583)

IslandStyle - 2009-04-27 7:58 PM

"I definately have tight hamstrings! I can't bring my legs/feet up to a 90degree angle when lying down."
Hi,
Sorry, we're gettting confused-hip flexors are the psoas muscles (plus others)-they do the opposite job to the hamstrings, which are hip extensors as well as flexors of the knee. But both sets of muscles will be shortened by sitting down-or often, dysfunction in one group will often 'encourage' dysfunction in the other group.

"In reference to your statement about students having this back soarness problem in corpse pose... I assume your also talking about AFTER a Yoga set, correct? Because I don't recall having any problems just lying straight, it's only after my incorrect forward bends. "
It happens both ways-both with yoga and without-but if you think about it, a forward bend brings the knee closer to the shoulder-this is hip flexion-maybe you need to learn how to use other muscles to block the excessive action of the hip flexor, and also to learn how to pull your lumbar spine towards 'neutral.' This will also give you much more stretch in your hamstrings. Pulling the spine towards neutral should help a lot-you use the abdominal muscles, and should feel that you can brace the entire abdominal wall-just like when you take a deep breath before you dive underwater, or sneeze. Talking of which, use your breathing to set up the contraction-then you have some of the principal core muscle groups activated-the diaphragm, the abdominals, the pelvic floor, plus others. This is an example of learning to contract other muscles and not the hip flexors (so much-they'll still contract, but the part they play is lessened).

"And I did narrow this pain down to forward bends, because some of the AM Yoga series I do such as "hip openers" and "twists" leave me with no pain afterwards. "
Might be best to stick with the twists for a bit

"I'm considering visiting a chiropractor just to get assessed because I'm really nervous that I might have done some damage. Only because days afterwards without doing Yoga, I would still wake up with horrible soarness, however it would TOTALLY disappear within a couple hours. But this went on for a couple months because I had just bought a new matress and the whole time I thought maybe it was the bed!!!!!!!! So here I was still forcing too much into these standing and seated forward bends the whole time. Now, I maintain the viniyoga back restoration set, and I have no pain... however, I can still feel the section of my back, almost like a "knot" (metaphorically speaking of course), and it follows me around all day and night."
You sound like an ideal chiropractic customer Just don't throw your money at them-talk to ther people who have used a good one who did the job in one/three sessions-I'm an ex-chiro, part of the reason I got out was because of this over-treatment which American chiros seem to be particularly good at

Nick
IslandStyle
Posted 2009-05-01 7:14 AM (#115646 - in reply to #115546)

I thank you all dearly for the input. However, do you (anyone is welcome to their opinion) think I may have caused any serious / long term damage? Or based on the not-too-frequent times I'ves done Yoga over the past year, could my pain be temporary?

Or I should ask... IS there a such thing as temporary back pain (as in, is there something in the back/spine/lumbar etc. that can be either pulled/overstretched/torn etc) and this pain will go away on it's own?

[Obviously I have no health degrees or much knowledge on anatomy]

Thank you.
Nick
Posted 2009-05-01 10:14 AM (#115654 - in reply to #115646)

IslandStyle - 2009-05-01 11:14 AM

I thank you all dearly for the input. However, do you (anyone is welcome to their opinion) think I may have caused any serious / long term damage? Or based on the not-too-frequent times I'ves done Yoga over the past year, could my pain be temporary?

Or I should ask... IS there a such thing as temporary back pain (as in, is there something in the back/spine/lumbar etc. that can be either pulled/overstretched/torn etc) and this pain will go away on it's own?

[Obviously I have no health degrees or much knowledge on anatomy]

Thank you.

Hi,
Sorry, impossible to say, without being face to face and a comprehensive history, neurological and muscle testing, MRI's and x-rays-or a selection of one or more of the above.
I would say that unless you do something to re-balance muscle activation and improve posture, then the pain will be something that will recur at intervals throughout your life, and you will be forced to become more sedentary-which in itself is obviously harmful. In your case this is less likely to occur, because you have acted already by asking questions-well done!
Also, I've helped a number of people by getting them a good lumbar support to use whilst they are driving.
The site below offers the best on the market designed by a man whose knowledge of the human spine is unparalleled.

http://www.backfitpro.com/html/supports.htm

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)