YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Struggling with camel pose
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

ferret
Posted 2009-05-19 3:04 PM (#116030)
Subject: Struggling with camel pose

I'm making progress in all of the asanas except camel. I can't even do camel in the hot room. I am getting worse and worse. Now, the nausea and dizziness start before I even do camel, while in half tortoise. I am becoming scared of camel. I know everyone struggles with camel, but I think I am having an even worse time than normal. I believe it's because I am a fainter, and have very low baseline blood pressure.

I tried camel at home yesterday, out of the sequence. I know you're not supposed to do this. I was very careful, took a hot shower first, and went in carefully and gently. I was able to do the entire pose, and it felt great, actually. Nice feeling of bending, stretching, opening, with a bit of blood rushing to the head as I came out. I think this is what "normal" people experience in camel. I think my issue is the hot room. (I am aware that some people here disapprove of the hot room, and your concerns have been duly noted. ) I would like to practice camel at home until I've acclimated enough to do it in the hot room, in sequence. My question is, what is a safe way to do this. What is the right way to warm up my back, without doing 22 asanas beforehand? I am hoping that by practicing this pose occasionally at home, I will lose my fear of it, and eventually be able to do it in the hot room, at some point when my body has fully acclimated to the heat.

Thanks,
Ferret

(By the way, I chose ferret for my handle because I've never seen a critter that is more flexible and also strong for its size. :-)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
amyf
Posted 2009-05-19 4:04 PM (#116034 - in reply to #116030)
Subject: Re: Struggling with camel pose

Veteran

in the hot room have you tried just keeping hands on the hips and dropping head back ? as for at home ... it is not i don't feel a big deal do a few sun salutations and be slow and gentle
monkeypicked
Posted 2009-05-19 4:32 PM (#116036 - in reply to #116030)

There is nothing wrong with trying camel at home to get comfortable, but it sounds like your situation is more in your head. Which is okay, class is supposed to make you work through things both physically and mentally.

My suggestion is to breathe slowly and thoughtfully, especially around camel, don't anticipate, don't judge, and let go of any thoughts that come into your head.
Easier to type than to do, I'm still working on the same stuff, I think we all are.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-05-19 4:33 PM (#116037 - in reply to #116030)

It sounds to me like the problem is not necessarily with Camel but with your fear. I'd recommend trying what amyf suggested: don't reach down with your hands for awhile. It seems like the key things with Camel are to keep your breathing normal, and to focus your eyes on something. If you can do those, I don't think the heat should be that problematic. Right now, it sounds like you are going into panic mode even before you get to the pose. The trick, then, is to try to figure out how not to panic. And that, almost inevitably, comes back to breathing and trying to stay still.

Duffy
jtho
Posted 2009-05-19 9:57 PM (#116041 - in reply to #116030)

My funny story about camel . . . I also got VERY dizzy in the beginning, and then bc of my fear, it progressed to the point where I would get dizzy as soon as I stood on my knees, before I even put my hands on my hips or dropped my head back, and I would try to breathe through it, but would always turn around and lie down in savasana. Also when I first started, I hated one of my teachers - he was a butt-kicker and had a sense of humour that I didn't really get. One day, I lay in savasana (after first standing on my knees) for the first camel. He started talking during the actual savasana about how you should never skip camel, never cheat yourself from the pose, etc. I thought he was talking directly to me (probably not), and I was SO mad. So, out of hatred and anger towards him, I did it the second set. I put my hands on hips, head back, grabbed my heels, and held it the whole time. (I was also swearing at him in my head the whole time.) Hatred and anger are of course not the nice yogi motivational methods, but after I did it that first time, I realized that I *could* do it, and it became easier from there. I'm not recommending you start to hate one of your teachers or anything, but if you can figure out some way to push past the fear (a reward after class? imagining yourself doing it every night? pick a date that you *will* do it, and then go for it all the way? not sure), I'm sure you will surprise yourself, too! Good luck.
ferret
Posted 2009-05-19 10:23 PM (#116042 - in reply to #116030)

Thanks for the suggestions. I have low blood pressure all the time, and have been known to pass out in public places occasionally. It can be made worse by anxiety, but it can't be made better with confidence, if that makes any sense. I DO think it would help if I got really pissed off, but I don't think my teachers want to play that role for me. :-) It would be kind of funny to have them getting in my face, drill seargent style, during yoga. What I experience is exactly what you describe jtho. As soon as I get up on my knees, I start feeling like I'm going to faint, because I know what's coming. Sometimes I even start to feel it in the postures leading up to camel.

I think it is a combination of the heat, which dilates the blood vessels, lowering my blood pressure, and the exhaustion of being near the end of the series. I have no fear or discomfort when doing camel at normal room temperature. I will try the sun salutations to warm up. That sounds like a good idea. I just want to try to make "friends" with this pose and get some of the benefits until my quirky nervous system stops freaking out. I am already doing much better with dizziness and faintness. I just haven't gotten over the camel "hump" yet. (yuk yuk)

As an interesting aside, one of the teachers at my studio shared with me that she used to have the same problem with low blood pressure and fainting, and that bikram yoga helped stabilize her blood pressure--not making it higher, but stopping it from dropping. I think that will be a nice benefit for me. I am already feeling stronger in the hot room. I think summer days will be much less debilitating for me.

Ferret

Posted 2009-05-20 3:21 AM (#116046 - in reply to #116030)

I like your reason for picking "ferret", ferret!!

My roommate went through this same thing when she came to yoga with me... she came for a couple weeks and could do EVERYTHING except camel. She could do it without the heat, no problem, but she always got super dizzy and skipped it in class. I took a class with her and noticed that she was going for her water bottle right before camel pose. (That water can be such a security blanket.) Told her, "I don't think the water is helping, try waiting til after camel to drink next time." She tried out that advice and did camel pose in her next class.

It's very likely that your problem IS totally different, but I like this illustration of how the little things can make a big difference!

You can TOTALLY do the pose, and you will be so surprised and pleased when you do! Just keep on keeping on...

Edited by thedancingj 2009-05-20 3:22 AM

Posted 2009-05-20 3:28 AM (#116047 - in reply to #116030)
Subject: RE: Struggling with camel pose

Oh, one other thing:

ferret - 2009-05-19 12:04 PM

I'm making progress in all of the asanas except camel.

Well that is just GREAT! You are making progress with 25 out of 26 postures!!

These days I am pretty excited if I make progress with just ONE of my postures. If I'm lucky, I might make progress in one or two, but then it's gone the next week. Or maybe some days I'll make a little progress in one of the postures, but two or three of them get WORSE! Hah. I'm just warning you, this is not a linear process over time. But the fast learning curve in the beginning is AWESOME fun, and you only get to experience it once, so don't waste energy being worried about whether you're doing "well" enough. Just enjoy the ride!
ferret
Posted 2009-05-20 8:42 AM (#116050 - in reply to #116030)

Yes, there is a great temptation to try new hobbies just for the fun of making progress, then abandon them when they get difficult. :-)

Ferret
ferret
Posted 2009-05-20 8:46 AM (#116051 - in reply to #116030)

And, yes, I will try refraining from the swig. I know when I am feeling overwhelmed with the heat, I often try taking a drink. It usually doesn't help, and it may be upsetting my stomach.

Ferret
Javalita
Posted 2009-05-20 9:44 AM (#116053 - in reply to #116030)

I am new also and have similar problems with camel! Dizzy, queazy and head pains - like "brain freeze" when you eat ice cream. I am just slowly trying to stay in a bit longer each time, but I only put hands on hips and lean my head back. Right now I can't bend all the way back. I'm feeling part of my problem is the fear of what I am feeling.

I try not to lay in savasana - I try it every time and then sit upright on my knees. I'm hoping that eventually I can stay in the pose longer. It does seem like I am also the only one in my class having issues!

I'll be watching your thread closely!

Edited by Javalita 2009-05-20 9:45 AM
amyf
Posted 2009-05-20 11:46 AM (#116054 - in reply to #116030)

Veteran

no worries.... this very common for a lot of people
ferret
Posted 2009-05-21 1:04 PM (#116070 - in reply to #116030)

I did it! I did it! I did one full set of camel today, went all the way in, and held it for the full count. I could not do the second because I have some kind of stomach "stuff" going on and needed extra recovery time throughout practice. (I seem to find every single bug that is going around these days--something I am hoping yoga will help with.) Thanks to everyone and especially thedancingj, whose tip about water seemed to push me over the top. I hydrated quite a lot before class, then limited myself to a few small sips during the standing series, and didn't drink at all during the floor series. I started to get the familiar fainting sensation as I stood up on my knees and put my hands on my hips. I paused, let it fade a bit, then pushed through it. Once I got my hands on my feet, I was fine, came up, saw stars like everyone does, had a nice savasana. Happy! I don't know if my instructor saw the big smile on my face as I came up, but I was one happy camper. I think it is definitely true that the cold water in my stomach was making things worse. Also had a very minimal breakfast 2.5 hours before class.

Ferret
jtho
Posted 2009-05-21 3:23 PM (#116074 - in reply to #116030)

Yay! Congratulations. And of course, now that you have done it once, you can do it again!!

Posted 2009-05-21 5:49 PM (#116078 - in reply to #116030)

YAY!! Wow! Cool! I'm glad my idea worked! Enjoy camel-ing!
ferret
Posted 2009-05-29 3:21 PM (#116216 - in reply to #116030)

And I did TWO sets of camel today! Yay camel. I also got my legs up in locust, and my teacher noticed. Nice feeling.

I wonder what "ferret pose" would be. I think it would be the upside down savasana you do between sets of locust.

Ferret
lockdaknee
Posted 2009-05-31 12:55 PM (#116250 - in reply to #116030)

Regular

Ferret - I don't have any advice for you re. practicing Camel out of sequence at home. The Bikram book talks about Camel being at the latter part of the sequence because the spine is not warmed up enough to do it until then. So be careful!

I began to improve my camel when I paid attention to the part of the dialog between putting hands on the hips and reaching for the back of the feet. In other words, the bending of the back after the hands are put on the hips and before you reach for your feet. (I can't remember the exact dialog - something like "bend halfway back") I was kind of missing that step before. Perhaps that will help ya!

I also agree with Duff about letting go of the fear and with dj re. the water.

Congrats on your journey and success!

Cyndi
Posted 2009-05-31 3:57 PM (#116251 - in reply to #116250)

Expert Yogi

The correct alignment for this posture is NOT placing your hands on the hips....you should be placing your hands on the BUTT muscle...NOT the hips. Try it, its even better.
lockdaknee
Posted 2009-05-31 4:31 PM (#116252 - in reply to #116030)

Regular

Yes, that is true. The dialog says hips (I think) but the proper place is on butt muscle as you say. That is the way I've been taught as well. Thank you for pointing that out.

ferret
Posted 2009-05-31 10:39 PM (#116255 - in reply to #116030)

The dialogue does say hips, but everyone puts their hands on their butt like in jeans pockets.

Ferret
lockdaknee
Posted 2009-06-01 7:31 AM (#116261 - in reply to #116030)

Regular

"everyone puts their hands on their butt like in jeans pockets."

Betty Davis style.
amyf
Posted 2009-06-01 8:50 AM (#116262 - in reply to #116030)

Veteran

I place my hands fingers down and parallel w/ pinkies touching on my VERY low back (high bum) this is what I was taught
I apply "pressure to protect my low back going into and coming out of this pose
Sanity
Posted 2009-06-01 1:13 PM (#116266 - in reply to #116030)

This is very inspirational. I also have issues with camel. I'm going to change my self dialogue and see what happens.
Congratulation Ferret

Posted 2009-06-01 3:35 PM (#116270 - in reply to #116030)

Oh - have you guys ever realized that Bikram just doesn't ever USE the word "butt"? In the dialogue, "hips" basically = "butt." That's true in tons of postures.

Unlike Emmy, who in advanced class will say "... now look up at your @ss." Hehehe!!
jtho
Posted 2009-06-01 3:51 PM (#116274 - in reply to #116030)

thedancingj - that's funny, I did a posture clinic recently and was told that there is code in the dialog. Hips = butt, and costume = crotch.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)