YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Should a Yoga Teacher have a website?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

yogawithtina
Posted 2009-05-21 12:47 PM (#116068)
Subject: Should a Yoga Teacher have a website?

I am a new Yoga teacher and I teach only few yoga classes a week and intend to become a full time yoga instructor in future. I will also start offering private yoga lessons soon.

A friend of mine suggested that I should have a website if I like to promote my Yoga business. Do I really need a website. I am not very good at computers.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Namaste,
Tina

Edited by yogawithtina 2009-05-21 12:49 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-05-21 3:49 PM (#116076 - in reply to #116068)
Subject: Re: Should a Yoga Teacher have a website?

Absolutely you should have one Tina. Just something simple that will display your contact info and basic yoga philosophy is sufficient. My best opportunities have come from folks who just searched for yoga in the vicinity and there I was In my opinion, nowdays not having one is certainly a detriment to any financial gain and again, just my opinion, shows that a yoga teacher doesn't take his/her profession seriously enough--"ah, it's just a hobby for me" I perceive. "I may not be available as you want, I may take off to find my inner self..." etc.
Since you state you have a yoga business, it's beneficial to you to use current business practices. With friendly web applications, "not being good at computers" is not an excuse--too much cheap/free help out there from adult education facilities, or friends, or for trade. And just for fun, imagine you talking to a computer guru about coming to your class. His/her response, "I'm really not very good at yoga." Well then you reply, "help me with my website and in trade, I'll have you standing on your head before long."

And good grief, I forgot--welcome to the forums!
yogawithtina
Posted 2009-05-21 8:35 PM (#116081 - in reply to #116068)

Thank you for your sincere advice Bruce! I'll start asking about my student's profession now in case there is a chance of barter :-)

Om Shanti
Tina

Posted 2009-05-22 2:28 AM (#116090 - in reply to #116068)

Hopefully you'll have them standing properly on their feet before taking them on their heads :-)

Posted 2009-05-22 10:34 PM (#116102 - in reply to #116068)

I would say you need a website if you want to build up your student base. Just because you're not good at computers doesn't mean your potential students aren't. You can do some promotion via local ads and flyers and other stuff but the web is how many people find information and classes these days and it's always there. I do think besides contact info and style, your website should have a class schedule, and ideally updates if a class is canceled or something. And a location if it's in some public place not your home. If you can post here, someone can set it up for you that you could follow directions to make simple updates.

There are also a number of yoga teacher/class directories on different websites you could put a listing on (including this one - look here http://www.yoga.com/ydc/connect/packages.asp#add) At least some are free. I see they have something for $36/year that would give you enough space to list basic info and a couple classes. If you get one new student through that it's more than paid for itself. These directories aren't perfect, there are lots of dead listings that never get cleaned out so someone using them to find you really needs to verify you're still around. But it always sort of amazes me the teachers I have stumbled across in my area that have no listings anywhere, no web presence, nothing.

Of the 2 classes I attend frequently, one does a great website and presence and is building quite a student base. It's not all because of the website but I think it's a huge factor. (Helps that they are a very good teacher.) The other class I take, the teacher is very good. But while I think she would like a few more students, she has nothing on the web and does nothing else to promote her classes. I only found her by accident. Her classes remain very small, nice for the students but sometimes barely enough to pay for her room rental.
yogiwebdesigns
Posted 2009-05-22 10:59 PM (#116103 - in reply to #116068)

Perfect explanation Bruce!

I fail to understand why a Yoga Teacher abstain from spending few hundred bucks while they have already spent few thousand dollars tuition fee on yoga teacher training (correct me if I'm wrong on tuition fee). Spending on website should be taken as investment not as expense. In today's world it is very hard to market and promote any kind of business. If you are really aiming to become a full time yoga instructor as you said in your post website is essential for you.

Gone are the days when people used to use yellow pages to find local businesses. These days people go online and search things on search engines. You probably do the same when you need to find anything. I'm sure you will want to see your website appear in search results when someone goes online and search private yoga classes "your locality". This can be possible only when you have a website.

You can only market yourself online when you have a website. Visit this link http://www.yogiwebdesigns.com/blog/free-marketing-tips-for-yoga-teachers-yoga-business/ to learn few tips to market yourself as a yoga teacher (Useful when you have a website).

Namaste

Edited by yogiwebdesigns 2009-05-22 11:02 PM

Posted 2009-06-02 1:00 AM (#116284 - in reply to #116068)
Subject: RE: Should a Yoga Teacher have a website?

if you don't want to have a web site made, use a blog.

a lot of blogs are really functional for that. a friend of mine uses wordpress for hers: pranaflownz.com
ZenYoga
Posted 2009-06-12 8:02 AM (#116483 - in reply to #116068)

A website is a very good idea. It will keep everyone informed about the activities in your site or your yoga classes. There are many sites on the web which will teach you how to go about it
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-13 4:31 PM (#208604 - in reply to #116068)
Subject: RE: Should a Yoga Teacher have a website?

Regular

Yes, I would suggest that you should have a website where you can provide a form for student registration so that students can take a advantage of your teachings easily.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)