YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Still pain in ankle one year after surgery
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

tgb123
Posted 2009-06-10 10:43 AM (#116438)
Subject: Still pain in ankle one year after surgery

I had surgery on my right ankle over a year ago and it still bothers me. Something is also clicking in my foot. It hurts at times and is stiff at times as well. My knee also bothers me especially when I am standing or kneeling for some time. I injured iwhen I accidently kicked a ball over a fence and then climbed the 5 foot fence (a little over my height), and then twisted my body around to avoid my neighbor's garden and landed awkwardly in a hole. I fell and heard a huge pop. My ankle never healed as I had fractured it, also torn ligaments and damaged one of my tendons. This is why I needed surgery because it never healed properly. But it stil bothers me over one year after surgery. Could my knee may have been injured also from that twisting I did? Do you think there is still something wrong in my ankle after that surgery?

I also have clunking in my ankle every way I move it and it has been one year after surgery. I am also still feeling pain in my ankle and even my knee.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cassie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nucleareggset
Posted 2009-06-10 1:22 PM (#116450 - in reply to #116438)
Subject: Re: Still pain in ankle one year after surgery

The best advice really is to go back to your doctor. Or a new doctor, if you prefer. But you need someone to take a look at the ankle. If you can get in with an orthopaedist who specializes in ankles/feet, I would highly recommend it. There are any of a number of things that could be going on in the ankle, from simple to complex, and only a trained professional can help you sort that out. And the ankle issues could certainly be bothering the knee, or the knee could have suffered trauma during the jump. You can't know until you've got a doctor looking at it.

Oh, and if you never did PT after the surgery, that is something you absolutely ought to do. It's never too late. (I had to wait two years after I broke my leg just above the ankle, due to insurance. Took longer, and not as effective as right after, but still hugely beneficial.)
tgb123
Posted 2009-06-10 2:08 PM (#116451 - in reply to #116450)

Thank you for replying. I called my ankle surgeon regarding the pain I am still having one year after surgery and he said it is probably inflammation and will need a cortisone shot.

I am getting the injection this Friday.

I am also still hearing a clunking noise in my ankle every way I turn it. Is the clunking normal one year after surgery? Should I be concerned?

Cassie
nucleareggset
Posted 2009-06-10 3:16 PM (#116452 - in reply to #116438)

Uh... your surgeon is scheduling you for a cortisone shot for inflammation a year after surgery, without looking at it? I'd be asking friends for advice for a new orthopaedist, myself. That guy sounds like... someone who is too busy to take the time to treat YOU. You need someone to evaluate the noise/feeling for when and where it occurs. You need a hands on evaluation by a professional, not being passed a shot of drugs that may do nothing but mask symptoms. (Yeah, there's a time and place for cortisone shots, but it's not "first thing to try". Pardon me as I feel annoyed at your doctor...)
tgb123
Posted 2009-06-15 3:02 PM (#116520 - in reply to #116452)

Thank you for replying. I got a cortisone injection last Friday in my ankle due to inflammation. My doctor said it is normal for my ankle to be inflammed over a year after surgery. It is still sore from the cortisone injection. My doctor said it will take from a couple of days to a week to feel better.

It was bleeding during the first day and night of the injection. The area right now is dark and bruised colored. I don't know if that is normal or not.

Cassie
tgb123
Posted 2009-06-24 12:45 PM (#116646 - in reply to #116452)

Since my cortisone injection over a week ago, it is still sore. The cortisone injection site on my ankle got bigger it seems and it is still discolored. The bruising is still around it and there is also bruising to the right of it. It is still painful. Should I have my doctor look at this?

Cassie

Edited by tgb123 2009-06-24 12:46 PM
tourist
Posted 2009-06-24 6:50 PM (#116657 - in reply to #116646)

Expert Yogi

Cassie - I had cortisone in my shoulder and it a) took more than a week to work and b) would not have healed the injury by itself. I needed body work (in my case Hellerwork) to complete the process. Yes. Go back to the doctor, but find a physio or other body worker to help you get the area straightened out.
tgb123
Posted 2009-06-24 7:21 PM (#116660 - in reply to #116657)

Thank you for replying. The reason why I got a cortisone injection is because I had ankle surgery over a year ago and it was starting to bother me recently and my ankle surgeon thought it was inflammation so that is why he gave me a cortisone injection.

I did call my doctor regarding the injection site: the size, discoloration, bruising, and soreness and he gave me prescription pain pills and told me to ice it for now and if that doesn't work, then I would need to go back and see him.

I had a cortisone injection in my left wrist before I had wrist surgery about six months ago and I ddn't have any complications with that one.

Cassie
tourist
Posted 2009-06-25 10:25 AM (#116675 - in reply to #116438)
Subject: RE: Still pain in ankle one year after surgery

Expert Yogi

The injection site could be infected. You should check it out.
nucleareggset
Posted 2009-06-25 11:44 AM (#116677 - in reply to #116438)

Definitely check it out, but every PT I've seen/worked with has said the same thing: cortisone covers up the issue, and there are only so many cortisone shots you should (ever) before the cumulative effect is not worth the benefits on the body. Sometimes "covering up the issue" is sufficient - if there is a sprain or strain that can't heal due to an overactive inflammatory response, and you don't aggravate it further after the shot, then it can heal. But more often than not, ... well, in my opinion, cortisone shots are for "you're in pain, but we don't know what's wrong, and we're not going to take the time for more thorough investigation when some anti-inflammatories and ignoring it for a while may let it heal itself." (I'm not anti-western medicine in any way, but there are some practices I just shudder at.)

as for the injection, I agree with tourist, but it looks like your doctor may already want you back. the first thing that popped to my mind was whether or not they actually hit the proper injection site... but hey, I'm a cynic.
tgb123
Posted 2009-06-28 7:57 PM (#116729 - in reply to #116677)

Thank you for replying. My ankle is still sore from the cortisone injection. The injection site is still discolored and large. There is still bruising around it and to the right of it. This had been over two weeks now. I am worried! What should I do?

Cassie
nucleareggset
Posted 2009-06-29 12:31 AM (#116734 - in reply to #116438)

doctor! definitely get it checked out!
tgb123
Posted 2009-07-01 11:54 AM (#116802 - in reply to #116734)

Thank you for replying. I did call last week and talked to the nurse and she talked to the physicians assistant and he just prescribed prescription pain pills which gave me wicked headaches and had to stop taken them. I was so upset that he didn't the time to look at the injection site.

The doctor who gave me the injection was a physicians assistant. This was the same doctor I saw a couple of weeks post op. after I had ankle surgery over a year ago. This wasn't the same ankle surgeon I had during my surgery, who gave me the injection almost three weeks ago.

My ankle is still sore from the cortisone injection I got almost three weeks ago. Why is it still painful? I am still not understanding alot of what is going on with this. The injection site is still discolored and large. There is still bruising around it and to the right of it. This had been almost three weeks now.

Should I call my regular doctor? PCP?

Any adivce would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Cassie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)