YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

7 class challenge
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yoga-addict
Posted 2009-06-17 10:15 AM (#116547)
Subject: 7 class challenge

Veteran

I've been thinking a lot about my practice lately, the 100-day challenge I did, and what I can do now to.. I don't know, pick it up a bit. I was thinking about what I could really change. I can always improve my focus and think positively, but I wanted to do something that would be both inspiring and challenging.
Here's what I've come up with: my own personal 7-day class challenge. For the next 7 classes I'm truly going to give it my all in every posture. Go as deep as I can in every posture, lift as high, contract my muscles for as long as I can- while still respecting my breath/body. I don't think I do, really ever in most classes. I get too easily distracted by my own thoughts (I'm tired, I'm bored, I'm thinking of the thousands of things I have to do after class) or I let the heat/humidity get to me. I have some classes when I feel great and really give it my all for every posture- but not that many. So I'm going to have 7 truly committed classes and see what it does for my practice.
I'm posting it here as my commitment to do it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jtho
Posted 2009-06-17 12:40 PM (#116549 - in reply to #116547)
Subject: Re: 7 class challenge

I love this! Good luck, and have fun, too.
Ram
Posted 2009-06-27 5:54 PM (#116714 - in reply to #116547)
Subject: RE: 7 class challenge

That is an incredible way of approaching something.

Instead of focusing on the number of classes like many do you are looking at the quality of your practise. good for you.

I see many people who do the class everyday. They seem to be going through the motions in the class if they are standing in front of me. But before and after classes they are in the lobby talking about how many classes they have done and accepting all the accolades that come with it. Lot of ego involved there.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-06-28 4:27 PM (#116723 - in reply to #116547)

Emmy says that there are three basic elements to improving frequency, precision, and intensity. Focusing on any one of them, I think, is a mistake. Intensity without precision leads to injury. Intensity and/or precision, without frequency makes for very slow going. Frequency without either intensity or precision is just spinning your wheels.

Yes, there are lots of people who tend to measure themselves by how often they go to class. There really isn't a very good measure for intensity or precision. (I suppose for intensity, everyone could wear heart rate monitors, but they don't.) And since people are naturally drawn to quantifiable achievements, frequency tends to be king.

It's a shame to see people simply going through the motions day after day. I would think that that way would lead mostly to boredom and/or frustration. However, I wouldn't put the blame entirely on them. If they are doing the same mediocre practice, day after day, then it sounds to me like the teachers need to do something to shake things up.
Ram
Posted 2009-06-29 2:28 PM (#116760 - in reply to #116723)

Duffy Pratt - 2009-06-28 4:27 PM

If they are doing the same mediocre practice, day after day, then it sounds to me like the teachers need to do something to shake things up.

Yoga should be your practise. Yours to take responsiblity for. Each person is responsible for the quality or lack of for their practise.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-06-29 3:42 PM (#116765 - in reply to #116547)

In the end, the responsibility falls on the students. But students are simply learning, and may be ignorant of their own shortcomings. Teachers are there to help students with their practice, to help them understand ways they might improve.

So while I basically agree with this idea, I think it may be a bit more involved than you have described.
Ram
Posted 2009-07-02 3:34 PM (#116831 - in reply to #116547)

I've just re-arranged my work schedule. I am going to do the 30 day challenge in August. Right in the middle of our hottest month in Arizona. Cant wait.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)