YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting Out Teaching, need recomendations
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

yogatati
Posted 2009-06-20 1:41 PM (#116591)
Subject: Starting Out Teaching, need recomendations

Hello,

I just finished an 8 month Yoga Teacher Program. I had worked at yoga studio in another city for a year, as a manager. I had really good training and have had a personal two-three hour daily practice for 2 years. I live this stuff and love it.
Since graduating school two months ago, I've applied to local gyms and and few studios. The only thing I got offered was sub positions, which no one has called yet..
I'm not sure where to go next. I've spent all my money on teacher training and an not employed anywhere else. I'll teach for free.. i dont care.. i just want to active. I know once someone gives me a chance I will soar but how do I get it when no one wants an unexperienced teacher?

How did you get your start?

Thanks,
Tati
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-06-20 1:59 PM (#116592 - in reply to #116591)
Subject: RE: Starting Out Teaching, need recomendations

Patience grasshopper...and networking. Hit Craig's list too. Do up a little intro resume and start emailing it out and dropping them off anywhere there are yoga teachers. Try offering some teaching for free to non-profits, local community centers, churches, places like that. Do a web site--many people search for yoga in a town and you'll pop up. It doesn't take too long to get known then you'll have more work than you can imagine.

I too was very eager to get going and all most burned myself out as I was taking every job offered no matter where or when. So it's understandable to me to want to get going but I'd recommend considering your own circumstances when looking for opportunities.

Good Luck and welcome to the forums and congratultions of finishing your training!

Posted 2009-06-23 11:24 PM (#116642 - in reply to #116591)
Subject: Re: Starting Out Teaching, need recomendations

i would recommend you not to quit your day job and snatch up any scraps you can get your hands on.
take classes where other teachers are participating in the class.
they'll see that you have the goods and start feeling comfortable letting you sub their classes.
depending on where you are located, there could be a pretty high concentration of yoga teachers...
proven, experienced yoga teachers.
its hard to break in
this article illustrates very clearly:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/41693
good luck

Posted 2009-06-25 6:52 PM (#116684 - in reply to #116591)

my rec is to not just drop a resume; ask to talk to whomever would be in charge of hiring.

tell this person about yourself, your training, and your teacher. offer your teacher's number if the teacher allows (or a local teacher with a good reputation if possible) as a recommendation (i do this for the teachers whom i train). offer to "audition" a class with the other teachers/fitness instructors for free.

if this puts you only on the sub list, then get even MORE active. If you want to work at "that" studio or gym or wellness center, then take as many classes as you can there. get to know the teachers, the staff, the manager. THEN you're more likely to be "up" on the sub list, rather than the "who is Sharon?" on the list.

Also, whenever you meet a teacher and begin to build a report, offer to sub for that person. I have a rather limited sub list at the moment, due to summer. That is, when i need a sub, i'm not likely to find one. so, i like to extend my list this time of year. If i think your practice is strong, and i'm able to try a class of yours somewhere (or a private lesson), then i'm likely to put you on my sub list, and when i go to the gym or studio, i'll tell them about you if i can't get anyone else to sub, and that will get you on THEIR sub list.

but the main thing is FACE TIME. you need to be seen.
yogabrian
Posted 2009-08-08 3:26 PM (#117520 - in reply to #116591)

Getting on the sub list is a great way to get into the gym! Once you have the instructor list, call all the yoga teachers and tell them you are available for subbing classes.

The group ex manager just wants the class covered. Also, get to know the gym you want to work in. The gym is really about connections. You got get to know the staff in the brief times your there, especially front desk staff. You will talk to them the most. If they remember you as positive, fun and cool the group ex manager will here about it.

Don't be picky about jobs either, you want into the business you are going to have work hard at it and kick doors open to get a slot. Competition for slots is fierce. Start at a community center, goto the YMCA or YWCA. Just starting teaching as much as you can.

Write down some goals weekly on what you are going to do to get 1-2 regular classes going. Put all your focus into it and it will happen. Getting started as new teacher really sucks for about a year. Most quit. Those that make usually teach at least a little the rest of their lives.

Posted 2009-08-10 1:57 PM (#117550 - in reply to #116591)

An 8-month teacher training did not offer coursework on being a yoga professional, preparing for being in the field, and operating as an independent business owner?
yogabrian
Posted 2009-08-11 3:37 PM (#117583 - in reply to #117550)

purnayoga - 2009-08-10 1:57 PM

An 8-month teacher training did not offer coursework on being a yoga professional, preparing for being in the field, and operating as an independent business owner?

Actually that describes most the teacher trainings on the market right now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)