YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bikram dialogue
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

no green
Posted 2009-06-21 1:49 PM (#116593)
Subject: bikram dialogue

people pay $10,500 and 9 weeks of their lives to memorize. A complete piece of crap.

:argh:

Edited by no green 2009-06-21 2:20 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-06-21 4:52 PM (#116597 - in reply to #116593)
Subject: Re: bikram dialogue

I did NOT post this--just saying...watch out no green--get ready for the return of salvo.

Posted 2009-06-21 6:15 PM (#116599 - in reply to #116597)

it'd be funny if no one even said anything...

Posted 2009-06-21 6:38 PM (#116600 - in reply to #116593)

The Bikramites better come up for air--I say anything negative about Bikram and I'm the anti-Christ. Course if they don't, Hey No Green, I agree with ya...

Posted 2009-06-21 8:43 PM (#116601 - in reply to #116593)

Hahaha...

Disgruntled trainee?? I know posture clinics just ended... but I sure hope not... that would make me sad.

Just to appease Bruce: I disagree with this sentiment! The end.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-06-21 11:32 PM (#116602 - in reply to #116593)

If all you wanted to do was memorize the dialogue, you could simply find a torrent of it and download it, then spend a few days memorizing Anyone who goes to teacher training with the goal of memorizing the dialogue, and thinks that that is it, is a fool.
Cyndi
Posted 2009-06-22 8:11 AM (#116605 - in reply to #116602)

Expert Yogi

Better yet..memorize the dialogue online...then open up a nice studio with your $10,000 grand...and call it HOT YOGA. Who cares about the name..we all know what HOT yoga means, LOL!!!
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-06-22 3:03 PM (#116608 - in reply to #116593)

Veteran

I've never been able to find any dialogue on the internet- maybe my googling skills aren't good enough.
I'm not going to disagree because that probably IS a lot of what the training is, but you still come out a teacher.

Posted 2009-06-22 3:28 PM (#116610 - in reply to #116593)

A lot of the trainees I know memorized the dialogue BEFORE they went to training, anyways... hmm... so what have they been doing for those 9 weeks? They sure seemed awfully busy...

Duffy, don't underestimate, that thing would take ME more than a few days to learn and I have a memory like a tape recorder. ;)

I found it online once, purely by accident... it's all about those statistically improbable phrases!

Cyndi... come away from the dark side....
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-06-22 5:08 PM (#116612 - in reply to #116593)

In Neal Stephenson's new book, Anathem, there's a punishment people are given where they must memorize a chapter of carefully written nonsense. For each transgression you get the next chapter of the book thrown at you. Chapter six usually takes people years to get, and chapter seven tends to drive people insane.

I figure the Bikram dialogue is maybe the equivalent of chapter two.

But, if you don't go to teacher training, you'd probably be content to translate some of the broken English, and that would make the memorization much easier (though I also think it would probably kill some of the dialogue).

Posted 2009-06-22 6:09 PM (#116613 - in reply to #116593)

Ok Duffy, that is pretty funny!

But seriously for a just moment... (really trying to stay off my soapbox here...) I don't think the dialogue would be as difficult to learn as THAT, because I don't see any nonsense in it. The grammar is weird as hell, obviously, but it's like a poem or a song. It flows. It's precise, logical, complete, and sequential. And it WORKS. So much gets lost when people try to "translate."

I've seen ONE person teach a class that was non-dialogue but was (in MY personal opinion!) better than dialogue, and that was Emmy. And Emmy A) is brilliant and B) has been Bikram's student for like 40 years. And I was totally floored by, it because I didn't think it could be done. Someday I kind of want to be Emmy. But I think you have to understand the instruction manual forward, backwards, and inside-out before you can throw it away. So maybe in 30 or 40 years...

Posted 2009-06-22 7:12 PM (#116615 - in reply to #116613)

Juliana,
I sincerely hope that in 30 or 40 years you are in a slightly different place and, having grown and evolved, practicing yoga in new and better ways.
Namaste,
Jim
yogabrian
Posted 2009-06-24 12:50 PM (#116647 - in reply to #116593)

The big difference with Emmy is that she was trained pre-dialogue. Before the official teacher trainings starting in the 90's Bikram used to make people stick around for about 4 years before he would certify them. If you can find a teacher that was trained in the 70-80 (Tony Sanchez, Mary Jarvis, Jimmy Barkan), Most do not stick to a strict dialogue when they teach.

Emmy also I believe was certified by Ghosh's College not Bikram, though I may be wrong about that.

Posted 2009-06-24 5:06 PM (#116656 - in reply to #116593)

Thanks for the addition, Brian, that is about what I thought... but for some reason it didn't occur to me that those teachers were certified to teach not only pre-dialogue, but pre-teacher training! So Emmy is the only one from the REALLY old school whose class I've experienced so far. If she (and the others) studied continuously with Bikram, in a small group, for four years, that definitely explains why they can teach a killer class with no dialogue. That is a LOT of yoga study!

That would be really interesting if Emmy wasn't actually "certified" by Bikram... I've always kind of wondered about that... cause I know she says they used to REALLY clash over her teaching style!
yogabrian
Posted 2009-06-25 3:02 AM (#116665 - in reply to #116593)

I think Emmy is the only one in the world who could clash in any way with Bikram. Lol!

Posted 2009-06-25 4:01 AM (#116668 - in reply to #116593)

.... touche.
Andre
Posted 2009-06-27 8:31 PM (#116715 - in reply to #116593)

Extreme Veteran

I sincerely hope that in 30 or 40 years you are in a slightly different place and, having grown and evolved, practicing yoga in new and better ways.

It sounds all enlightened and stuff, when stated this way...

What many fail to grasp is that studying or practicing the fundamentals, which do not change, in any endeavor does not mean that the practionier doesn't change and evolve. But, you know, whatever.
Cyndi
Posted 2009-06-27 8:42 PM (#116716 - in reply to #116715)

Expert Yogi

DJ Dre - 2009-06-27 8:31 PM

What many fail to grasp is that studying or practicing the fundamentals, which do not change, in any endeavor does not mean that the practitioner doesn't change and evolve.

I hope you meant to say that there is NO guarantee that the practitioner won't change and evolve. However, if one practices with discipline, sincerity and devotion, usually does. The usually is a safety buffer because sometimes - okay, most of the time, we slip in out of those real important aspects of the yoga practice,
dcellere
Posted 2009-06-28 9:06 PM (#116731 - in reply to #116593)
Subject: RE: bikram dialogue

I graduated yesterday from that 9-week "memorization camp". And I feel very sorry for anyone who leaves that training thinking that memorization skills were all that they gained from the experience. Nuf said.
amyf
Posted 2009-06-29 9:19 AM (#116743 - in reply to #116593)

Veteran

good for you dcellere for sticking up for yourself and what you accomplished. An outer experience id just that..... it is ALL what we put into it. I recently went on Vacation and found this very true... at the end of the day it is STILL me no matter where I am and what I am doing. I have to feel it and learn and touch and experience in order for any thing external to become internal and changing.
Ram
Posted 2009-06-29 2:26 PM (#116759 - in reply to #116600)

Bruce - 2009-06-21 6:38 PM

The Bikramites better come up for air--I say anything negative about Bikram and I'm the anti-Christ. Course if they don't, Hey No Green, I agree with ya...

Opposing viewpoints are always a great perspective. Keep up the good work.

In terms of the dialogue there is much more then the words that make up the class. Of course the words are important. I seem to pick up details that I hear but haven't listened to sometime. Each time that happens it adds to my practise.

On the other hand the energy that a teacher brings is the most important thing. The teacher maintains the dicipline of the class and their vibes are probably the most important aspect of their teachings. You can tell when someone is "into" what they do versus someone who goes through the motions.

Besides Bikram is my practise. I dont allow the teacher to influence it that much anyway.
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-06-30 2:21 AM (#116777 - in reply to #116593)

Veteran

congratulations Danielle on graduating! I'm going in the fall and I've enjoyed reading your blog!
dcellere
Posted 2009-06-30 1:10 PM (#116789 - in reply to #116777)

yoga-addict - 2009-06-30 2:21 AM

congratulations Danielle on graduating! I'm going in the fall and I've enjoyed reading your blog!

Thank you so much!! I taught my first class this morning... how exhilerating!!! I'm happy to talk to you about any questions you have. Congrats on your decision to go. It was the best decision, turned into the best experience of my life. I'm going to keep up with my blog, so keep checking in! Take care!
rasbabagi
Posted 2009-07-22 2:03 AM (#117076 - in reply to #116593)

Think of Bikram like the Stanford Prison Experiment. Soon you will be identifying with your captors and want to become one of them. I don't think of Bikram as Yoga, but rather as an inexpensive sauna where you can practice the poses you learned elsewhere with the hope of attaining a super uber fit body. Go to an ashram for yoga. And I love Bikram style sweating!!, even though I will never achieve that uber doober body. Am I going to regret saying this?
Andre
Posted 2009-07-22 12:33 PM (#117090 - in reply to #116593)

Extreme Veteran

Bikrams has, at times, been almost visionquest-like for me. No doubt this is because of the environment we intentionally place ourselves in when we enter the studio. Because of this, some people do not call it Yoga. For me, it very much is Yoga.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)