YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drink your bikram cool-aid
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yoga-addict
Posted 2009-07-03 1:42 AM (#116839)
Subject: drink your bikram cool-aid

Veteran

hopefully this thread will be a little less controversial. :-)
Well, it's summer time and where I practice it gets even more hot and humid inside the room than usual.
Things I do to deal with the extra heat:
drink lots of water very conscientiously all day thru until class.
drink at least one sport drink or coconut water an hour before class
eat light cooling foods during the day like melon and cucumber
bring a frozen water bottle so that after class the water I drink can be cold.

But I'm still finding class a struggle to get through. Does anyone else have heat-beating tricks they use for class?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ram
Posted 2009-07-03 12:28 PM (#116845 - in reply to #116839)
Subject: Re: drink your bikram cool-aid

The irony of a summer practise is you become more heat tolerant. It was an unexpected pleasant side effect. Especially here in Arizona.

I freeze a vitamen water and it feels so good to drink it during class.

Andre
Posted 2009-07-03 11:25 PM (#116849 - in reply to #116839)

Extreme Veteran

I know people bring ice water into the studio with them. That just seems wrong... -to me- ... same with flavored water. Cool tap water after class works ok for me. But I don't like it cold.
lockdaknee
Posted 2009-07-04 11:13 AM (#116854 - in reply to #116839)

Regular

Does anyone know rules of thumb for drinking water in general? Is it bad to drink water too fast? Is it possible to drink *too much* water? if one drinks cold water and the body doesn't absorb it as well - is that really a problem after a Bikram class? ie. it will still be absorbed, no? I will research these questions further.

It is summer in Texas - right around 100 degrees. My yoga room is very, very hot. I don't drink water in class but before and especially after I drink a LOT! Like at least a gallon and half a day - maybe two.

I will sit down after a strenuous class and put a liter of water and a bunch of ice in a big bowl like a dog and drink it down in 3 or 4 gulps. i can't imagine that is very good for me.
gogirl58
Posted 2009-07-04 1:04 PM (#116855 - in reply to #116839)

Extreme Veteran

I agreee about the cold water. Also, when I was beginning, I would take two hand towels and wet one completely and use it to cool down during class.
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-07-04 4:29 PM (#116857 - in reply to #116839)

The general rules of thumb for drinking water are: 1) drink before you are thirsty, 2) a good sign of being well hydrated is nearly very light to nearly clear urine; 3) lukewarm water is better for fast absorption, but before or after class it doesn't make a difference. Be sure to pay some attention to electrolytes as well.

It is definitely possible to drink too much water. It can be fatal, but it has to be really extreme to get to that point. A couple of years ago, when the Wii first came out, a radio station in California had a "Hold your wee for a Wii" contest. The idea was to see who could drink the most water without going to the bathroom, and the winner would get a Wii. The winner complained about having a headache before leaving the station. A caller to the program tried to explain to the hosts that what they were doing was dangerous, and one of the hosts joked that it was OK because all the contestants signed releases. The woman who won went home, passed out and died from water toxicity. But her two kids did get a Wii before anyone else on the block.
lockdaknee
Posted 2009-07-04 6:39 PM (#116861 - in reply to #116839)

Regular

thanks for the info duff. yes, i remember that sad incident.
amyf
Posted 2009-07-05 11:45 AM (#116867 - in reply to #116839)

Veteran

I was treated overnight in hosp for water toxic. sodium levels were 117 amd death is 111 norm is 136 - 145. YES it is poss
Ram
Posted 2009-07-05 1:14 PM (#116868 - in reply to #116839)

Water toxicity can happen particularily with people who are not used to exercising and suddenly drink a ton of water let's say before their first marathon (for which they have not trained for). It is rare but possible.

Cold water generally is not good for you in terms of digestion. It puts out the "fire of digestion" but if your hot and want to cool your body a bit I actually think it's a good idea. Overheating your body is also something you have to be aware of. Not being hydrated and taking on extreme heat is not healthy. That is why I dont subscribe to these macho instructors who really amp up the heat in the class and dont believe in air circulation. Dangerous practise.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)