YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is Yoga a Religion?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

novicemed21
Posted 2009-07-09 1:16 AM (#116919)
Subject: Is Yoga a Religion?

In order to examine this question, it is helpful to look at the difference between religion and spirituality.

Those who participate in organized religion accept their denomination’s deity or deities and worship through a system of long-established rituals. They may read sacred texts that outline a moral code, which they follow, and they may attend worship meetings lead by religious leaders who have been ordained by an authority in that religion.

By contrast, we can define spirituality as the quest for understanding of ourselves and our place in the universe. Many use organized religion as the conduit for their spirituality, but spirituality can also exist outside the bounds of religion. In other words, spiritual practice is essential to religion, but religion is not essential to spiritual practice.

Yoga does share some things in common with religion, including the study of ancient texts and gathering of like-minded individuals for study under a learned teacher, but these things alone do not constitute a religion. Though some yoga practices encourage meditation on a universal spirit, which may even be called God, the nature of that God is left open to interpretation. Some are confused by yoga’s relationship with Hinduism, since yoga’s language borrows from the Hindu lexicon. Though yoga and Hinduism are both products of ancient India, they have evolved into separate practices as yoga (particularly hatha yoga, the study of yoga postures) has spread outside of its land of origin.

Yoga can be a spiritual practice, but it is not a religion, because it does not dictate the nature of a God to be worshipped.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-07-09 3:45 PM (#116931 - in reply to #116919)
Subject: Re: Is Yoga a Religion?

CarsonZi - 2009-07-09 8:48 AM

IMO yoga is what you make it into. If that is a religion for you then yeah, yoga can be a religion. If it is a lifestyle for you, then that is what it is. If it is exercise to you, then that is what it is. If yoga is life to you, then that is what it is. Yoga is what you need it to be.

Love,
Carson

Absolutely!

Yoga is personal and unique to each person at each point in time. It is totally up to you!!!

Cyndi
Posted 2009-07-09 11:24 PM (#116941 - in reply to #116919)
Subject: RE: Is Yoga a Religion?

Expert Yogi

novicemed21 - 2009-07-09 1:16 AM

Yoga does share some things in common with religion, including the study of ancient texts and gathering of like-minded individuals for study under a learned teacher, but these things alone do not constitute a religion. Though some yoga practices encourage meditation on a universal spirit, which may even be called God, the nature of that God is left open to interpretation. Some are confused by yoga’s relationship with Hinduism, since yoga’s language borrows from the Hindu lexicon. Though yoga and Hinduism are both products of ancient India, they have evolved into separate practices as yoga (particularly hatha yoga, the study of yoga postures) has spread outside of its land of origin.

Yoga can be a spiritual practice, but it is not a religion, because it does not dictate the nature of a God to be worshipped.

Actually, the Hindu life is Yoga. They are one in the same...it is a system...a way of life. Did you know that in most countries, Yoga is not considered or even recognized as a religion? It's very frustrating for Hindu people that try to live outside of their country when asked to define which "religion" they belong to. It really is not accepted as a religion, for legality purposes. Same holds true for Buddhism, but for some reason or another, it is accepted globally as a religion whereas Hindu is not. Go figure.

For what its worth, I believe yoga is a religion. My definition of religion is simply this...discipline.
novicemed21
Posted 2009-07-10 12:42 AM (#116944 - in reply to #116919)

Thanks guys for all the wonderful posts.
Phil
Posted 2009-07-10 10:04 AM (#116948 - in reply to #116944)

Yoga is not really a religion.

You could say it's the science of religion.
Yoga can be a practice within a religious back ground.
It's like saying prayer is a religion, it's not, it's a practice within a religion.
I have never met anyone who thinks that Hinduism is not a religion, is this an American feeling?
Hinduism is such a vast religion that it has absorbed every thought, practice and approach invented by humans.
BhujagaShaya
Posted 2010-04-17 11:22 AM (#122417 - in reply to #116919)

Hinduism is such a vast religion that it has absorbed every thought, practice and approach invented by humans.

That's a misconception. Hinduism is a very diverse religion, but isn't defined by all thoughts, practices and approaches invented by humans. Hinduism is also called Sanatana Dharma, meaning the eternal dharma. The key principles of Hindu thought as described in the Vedas, Upanishads, Puranas/Itihasas and Bhagavad Gita are the basis of Hinduism. The principles from these texts can be put in several contexts, because they are sanatana or eternal and not limited to a specific place on earth (desha) or a specific time in history (kala).

IMO yoga is what you make it into. If that is a religion for you then yeah, yoga can be a religion. If it is a lifestyle for you, then that is what it is. If it is exercise to you, then that is what it is. If yoga is life to you, then that is what it is. Yoga is what you need it to be.

There is nothing wrong with that approach, because you are free to assign meaning and value to anything you do. But I agree with Cyndi that Hinduism is yoga, yoga is an integral part of Hinduism. That doesn't mean that the physical practices of Hinduism are not valuable for purposes like health, aesthetics and fun. In the same way Tai Chi is taoist in nature, the forms are based on Taoist philosophy and belief systems.

Edited by BhujagaShaya 2010-04-17 11:26 AM
BhujagaShaya
Posted 2010-04-17 12:05 PM (#122418 - in reply to #116919)

I was unable to edit my post, so here I am posting again:

That's a misconception. Hinduism is a very diverse religion, but isn't defined by all thoughts, practices and approaches invented by humans. Hinduism is also called Sanatana Dharma, meaning the eternal dharma. The key principles of Hindu thought as described in the Vedas, Upanishads, Itihasas , Puranas and Bhagavad Gita are the basis of Hinduism. The principles from these texts can be put in several contexts, because they are sanatana or eternal and not limited to a specific place on earth (desha) or a specific time in history (kala).

There is nothing wrong with that approach, because you are free to assign meaning and value to anything you do. But I agree with Cyndi, Yoga is Hinduism. Every chapter of the bhagavad gita ends with “Thus ends the scripture of Yoga.” Not everyone going to yoga class is Hindu, but they are practicing a Hindu art. In the same way Tai Chi is Taoist in nature, the forms are based on Taoist philosophy and belief systems of yin and yang. People can practice Tai Chi solely as a martial art or for health purposes too if they wish so.

People in the west are often confused about what a religion in the east is. According western standards Buddhism is not a religion, because they don't speculate about the nature of an ultimate being. In the east the word religion is not used in the same sense as in the west. The word dharma is more common. In the western world the word religion has a lot of baggage attached to it, because of what people have done in the name of religion. The fact is that people have even been killed in the name of Buddhism, technically not a religion, Marxism and occultism(Hitler).

If you look at the etymological meaning of the word religion than that is exactly what yoga is. But if your definition of religion is to go on missions to convert people, condemn disbelievers and sinners to eternal hellfire, to create war and kill people of other faiths, to sacrifice everything in this life solely for the pleasures of heaven, to create diversion among people based on their race or color, to abuse the blind faith of your followers, to gather around as a group in order to feel superior to everyone else, then yoga is not a religion. But if your definition of religion is “to unite” the jiva with Brahman through bhakti and jnana, then yoga is most definitely a religion.

Edited by BhujagaShaya 2010-04-17 12:23 PM
BhujagaShaya
Posted 2010-04-17 12:40 PM (#122419 - in reply to #116919)

I looked back at my post and wanted to add something, but was unable to edit again, so here is another post. I may continue this monologue indefinitely if I happen to get more ideas.

But if your definition of religion is “to unite” the jiva with Brahman through bhakti and jnana, then yoga is most definitely a religion.

Another name for that religion happens to be Hinduism. People who say yoga is not a religion use faulty logic. There is a difference between "what is yoga" and "what does yoga mean to you."

Edited by BhujagaShaya 2010-04-17 12:47 PM
BhujagaShaya
Posted 2010-04-17 12:53 PM (#122420 - in reply to #116919)

This time I was able to edit my post, but I just wanted to piss of the moderators.

The fact is that people have even been killed in the name of Buddhism, technically not a religion, Marxism and occultism(Hitler).

Another thing I wanted to add. People have been killed in the name of science, like the disciple of pythagoras who discoverd irrational numbers. These examples are only to show that it is not necessary to have an aversion for the word religion based upon what people have done in the name of it.
BhujagaShaya
Posted 2010-04-17 12:55 PM (#122421 - in reply to #116919)

...oops, I meant piss off, not piss of...

Edited by BhujagaShaya 2010-04-17 12:56 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2010-04-17 1:26 PM (#122422 - in reply to #122421)

Expert Yogi

Hey Bujashaya,

Thanks for posting all that, I agree with everything you said. I get so frustrated when I go to yoga studios..I just want to blurt it out in class and set them all straight, then at the same time I just sigh....as I spill dhal on my keyboard,

I feel that one day I'll have my chance to set the record straight when I'm doing my own thing by teaching a class or helping someone on the path. oh well..

Oh yeah, and the reason you can't edit is because you only have 30 mins to edit and then your locked out.

Best wishes!

P.S. since writing that post over a year ago...I'm leaning more towards not only Yoga being a way of life, but also a science that requires discipline. Talk about evolving, LOL!

Edited by Cyndi 2010-04-17 1:29 PM
BhujagaShaya
Posted 2010-04-17 4:55 PM (#122425 - in reply to #122422)

Yes, it's frustrating to see that people are so unaware of history that in the 21th century they are claiming yoga is completely secular (not religious) and therefore not Hindu or that yoga doesn't come from Hinduism but has its basis in all major religions of the world. People feel the need to make a distinction between Hinduism and Yoga. This is welcomed by Christians who fear that they are worshiping demons and by clever marketers who want to sell their worshops and DVDs to the largest audience possible.

Yoga and Hindu Philosophy:
http://www.hinduwisdom.info/Yoga_and_Hindu_Philosophy.htm

Edited by BhujagaShaya 2010-04-17 5:24 PM

Posted 2010-04-17 7:04 PM (#122427 - in reply to #122425)

yo·ga definition
Pronunciation: /'yo-g?/
Function: n
1 cap : a Hindu theistic philosophy teaching the suppression of all activity of body, mind, and will in order that the self may realize its distinction from them and attain liberation
2 : a system of physical postures, breathing techniques, and meditation derived from Yoga but often practiced independently especially in Western cultures to promote bodily or mental control and well-being

Yoga is a religion or not, depending on what you practice and how you practice it. Each individual practitioner makes yoga a religion, or a philosophy, or an occult practice, or a system of physical (and/or mental) exercises, or any combination by their individual beliefs and practices.

Yoga is what each of us make it.
BhujagaShaya
Posted 2010-04-17 7:37 PM (#122428 - in reply to #122427)

I don't disagree with that and I have no problem that people practice yoga according the second dictionary definition.
Bill888
Posted 2010-05-01 1:10 AM (#122623 - in reply to #116919)

If you don't want it to be, then it it just a technique.

Meditation & Unity
Posted 2010-05-25 2:23 AM (#123107 - in reply to #116919)

Yoga and Meditation is certainly above any religion and beyond any boundaries, it helps us to identify and purify our soul and mind.

The best thing about Yoga is it help us connects to eternal power called God.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)