YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

time inbetween poses in standing series
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

StillOne
Posted 2009-07-09 1:25 PM (#116927)
Subject: time inbetween poses in standing series

hi everyone! i recently switched studios and noticed a subtle but consistent difference in how the standing series is being taught from my old studio to the new. at the new studio, they spend very little time, if any, inbetween poses in the standing part of the series. at my old studio the teachers would pause for a bit and encourage taking a couple/few breaths before going into the next posture. it almost seems like a vinyasa at the new one... flowing from one pose to the next. is it just up to the teachers how they want to handle this? i must confess that i prefer having a pause to "catch my breath" before going into the next posture. i especially struggled yesterday when we went quickly from triangle into standing seperate head to knee pose. i felt that the action of having an increased heart rate and focused breathing from doing the triangle pose, to choking off your breath in standing seperate head to knee, didn't feel right. any thoughts? thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
StillOne
Posted 2009-07-09 2:07 PM (#116928 - in reply to #116927)
Subject: RE: time inbetween poses in standing series

saw that this has been covered further along in the forum. sorry for the duplicate and the inconvenience.

Posted 2009-07-09 5:18 PM (#116936 - in reply to #116927)
Subject: Re: time inbetween poses in standing series

Hehe, no problem, you are asking good questions AND doing your research!

Since we're mentioning this subject again, I'll add something that I heard Emmy say at the advanced seminar last week. She says that the standing series has a real "warrior" feel to it. It's like you are going to war against the aches and pains and injuries in your body. It should be intense and high energy, and it IS more like a "flow".

Then, she says, the floor series is a totally different feel. You've already warmed up and worked every part of your body, and the floor is where you really slow down and CHANGE your body. Bikram says it all the time: after the first savasana is where the "real yoga" begins, where you freeze your body in the posture, hold it, and relax in savasana between every asana.

Hope that helps answer your question a bit... Emmy's explanations are always very enlightening for me, so wanted to share!!
gogirl58
Posted 2009-07-10 12:08 AM (#116943 - in reply to #116936)
Subject: Re: time inbetween poses in standing series

Extreme Veteran

that's a motivational way to think of it, as a warrior series. For me, I notice differences in teachers. Some teachers have less time in between postures nad hold the postures longer. I personally, come out earlier and give myself a little more time. I'm over 60 and i feel I have little to prove and I enjoy that tiny bit of rest.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)