YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram's affect on metabolism
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

meliann75
Posted 2009-07-13 10:55 PM (#116993)
Subject: Bikram's affect on metabolism

I'm looking for some advice and to see if anyone else had heard of a problem similar to mine. I practiced Bikram last year for about three months. I enjoyed it, but unfortunately had to quit for financial reasons (something had to be cut from the budget). During the time I was practicing Bikram, I was also training for my first triathlon ... so, I was very active and maintained a good diet. About six months later, I decided to start a new nutrition and exercise program to lose some weight, but to date have had zero success. I've seen my doctor, had blood tests run, worked with a nutritionist and currently work with a personal trainer, and they're all baffled.

With Bikram promoting positive changes to metabolism and thyroid function, I'm wondering if it could have had the opposite affect for me. I feel like my body hasn't been the same since having done Bikram.

Has anyone heard of anything like this or experienced anything like it?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-07-14 1:33 AM (#117004 - in reply to #116993)
Subject: Re: Bikram's affect on metabolism

Huh. Well, here's what I've always heard: Bikram yoga can and will change your body, but only with consistent practice. Once your practice lapses, your body will go back to the way it was before. That's why the people who use Bikram to control chronic conditions or diseases really have to go to class ALL the time. In other words, I don't think I've ever heard of Bikram permanently altering someone's body chemistry months after they stopped going to class.

Anybody know anything different??
amyf
Posted 2009-07-14 9:19 AM (#117008 - in reply to #116993)

Veteran

when I practice my thyroid dose 1.37 ... when I take a break it goes up to 1.5. VERY INTERESTING!!! My doc is stunned and just laughs at me. I have both in my drawer now
lifeisgood
Posted 2009-07-15 5:48 PM (#117018 - in reply to #116993)

YES! I feel the same way! I practiced Bikram yoga continuously for 13 months. I jumped into the practice doing 26 classes in my first month. For most of the time, I averaged at least one class a day, often doing doubles. For the latter half year, I practiced Advanced once a week. After about 7 months of practicing the beginner series my body had begun to change and I felt like it was so much more efficient, strong, and all of my systems functioned better. Other than aches and pains from pushing myself way too hard (which is an understatement) in the room and not listening to my body, I had absolutely no health complaints.

It went downhill in the latter part of my yoga journey when I felt increasing pressure to be skinny. I wasn't at all overweight to begin with (BMI 18-19's, female) but I just wanted to lose weight, thinking I would look better. Without me even realizing it, I had started undereating. Looking back now I doubt I topped 1200 calories many, many days. And I'd often do two classes in a day. The thing is, I never lost weight. I actually freaked out when I gained two pounds. My body fat percentage was incredibly low - I was freezing all the time and could only pinch a finger's worth of skin on my stomach. Still I was frustrated because my weight didn't drop no matter how restricted my diet became and how much I increased my practice.

Now looking back, I realize the weight gain was muscle accumulated over many months. I never lost weight because my fat stores were so low, and my metabolism slowed to keep up with my demanding practice. I guess the reason why my nagging overuse injuries never healed was because I didn't have adequate fuel and my body had to draw some from my muscle stores, weakening me. I don't know. It's just my best guess.

Where am I now? Not practicing Bikram yoga. And really frustrated. Because my body just isn't the same. It's been months and my metabolism has not returned to normal. It's like nothing is in sync anymore - I feel like I never absorb anything from what I eat and it all passes right through. I'm tired and it feels like my body is swollen all the time. It never used to be this way. I was perfectly healthy even before starting Bikram yoga, and the short-term benefits from when I approached my practice properly are so not worth all the pain I'm in now. I've got a series of various holistic doctors to see later this summer, and hopefully they'll offer some insight. Still, right now every day I'm at battle with my body. A word of advice for everyone who reads this and for anyone whom you think may be beginning to slide down the slippery path I took - please, respect your body. Don't bash it. A few pounds or a short term goal is not worth severely disrupting your body harmony.

Namaste,
L.
Andre
Posted 2009-07-16 8:24 PM (#117029 - in reply to #116993)

Extreme Veteran

One of the issues I have with Bikrams is the push mentality. I think it's great to do a 60 day challenge. But the idea is to rebalance a body that is out of balance. I've heard 60 days does the trick, followed by maintaining a practice 3-4 times a week. To sustain the gains and body over the long haul, I don't see why anyone would need more than every other day (on average). That said...

Meliann, I suggest that you had/have a number of different things going on; Bikrams, training for a triathlon (your first, no less) and paying attention to a new diet and then later a different nutrition and exercise program. I'm not sure there's a way to separate the effects of the first three as they all coincided and were relatively new pursuits.

Lifeisgood, I suggest that you did push yourself too hard in Bikram's, while simultaneously reducing your caloric intake. It's certainly possible that your body is worse off, maybe even damaged. This reminds me of how many people mistake the Atkins induction stage for a long term plan--it's only meant for 2-3 weeks, to burn off excess fat stores. I'm curious, are you doing some other form of exercise? And what is your diet like now?

My personal take on it... I've never done 30 or 60 days straight. I have averaged about 20 days a month for about a year. That rebalanced my body. I pushed myself too hard after that and hurt myself a couple of times, but that was because my mind was so out of whack. I honestly don't think anything else would have worked to still this agitated mind. I've said it before, I needed to be wrung out. But one of the reasons why I like Bikrams is that I can essentially eat anything I want, I burn up calories paired with a decreased appetite. I am more careful about what I put into my body, but I don't really have to watch it. My body works better and processes food better.

Be careful in the Bikram studio environment! With the mirrors and the obvious changes in body, one can become too focused on outcomes and body image. And... you've just got to eat and give your body fuel when doing such a strenuous workout.

Posted 2009-07-17 1:19 PM (#117033 - in reply to #117029)

DJ Dre - 2009-07-16 5:24 PM

Be careful in the Bikram studio environment! With the mirrors and the obvious changes in body, one can become too focused on outcomes and body image.

Excellent point.

The mirrors are there to help you with alignment, NOT for narcissism or for self criticism or self loathing. Health and happiness are achieved from the inside out, not the other way around. If you want to look your best, become as healthy and happy as possible. Enjoy your life!!! Joy encourages health and happiness.

Don't use the mirrors to either fall in love with your external appearance or condemn it. Accept where you are right now. That is reality. Your imagined you is merely a projection of your hopes and fears. Practice non-judgement with your reflection.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)