YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yogi? Vegan?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

veggiepose
Posted 2009-07-29 9:10 PM (#117264)
Subject: Yogi? Vegan?

Hey. Any other vegan Bikramers out there? I'm in southern California. Just curious.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2009-07-29 10:02 PM (#117265 - in reply to #117264)
Subject: Re: Yogi? Vegan?

Not vegan, but I'm vegetarian! (And also in southern/central coast California at the moment.) I was vegetarian long before Bikram yoga... was raised that way in Massachusetts by a cool health food-y mom.

There's a pretty strong contingent of vegetarians, vegans, and raw vegans in Bikram yoga. I know a lot of advanced Bikram yogis and Bikram teachers who are really into the whole raw food thing...

Of course Bikram HATES it ("rabbit food!"), but we are gaining on him in numbers, and vegan girls keep winning his championships... hehehe...

*Edited b.c. vegetarian and vegan are not the same...

Edited by thedancingj 2009-07-29 10:03 PM
jtho
Posted 2009-07-30 4:47 PM (#117299 - in reply to #117264)

I'm vegan.

Posted 2009-07-30 5:09 PM (#117300 - in reply to #117264)

I was vegan for about a year; now I eat fish and eggs, but no meat, poultry, or dairy.

Posted 2009-07-31 9:38 AM (#117308 - in reply to #117264)

i am vegetarian, though not a bikramite. i was vegan for about 5 years of my vegetarianism. i've been vegetarian now for a total of 10 or 11 years.

i love raw food (i'm about 70% raw), and i prefer to be vegan, but my cholesterol got too low and it started to affect everything! yeah, so, i went back to eggs and raw dairy (non-pasturized). i don't consume that much of it, and now, not even every day. it's just easier to eat raw or vegan.

my baby is vegetarian too. my husband offers him meat, and he'll take it and put it in his mouth and make a face and hand it back to him. LOL so, now my husband realizes that he's just a vegetarian baby.

Posted 2009-07-31 10:08 AM (#117310 - in reply to #117264)

Vegitarian Joke: If God wanted humans to be vegitarians, why did he make animals out of meat?
tourist
Posted 2009-07-31 10:37 AM (#117313 - in reply to #117308)

Expert Yogi

ZB - my son was not fond of meat in his babyhood and went off eggs at about 3 years. When he hit about 14, I guess the testosterone kicked in and brought out the carnivore in him.

Posted 2009-07-31 1:17 PM (#117317 - in reply to #117310)

An interesting bit of trivia:

All meat eating animals can control their bowel movements. All herbivores cannot.

People evolved (or were created if that is your paradigm) as meat eating animals. That, of course, does not mean that one cannot substitute other foods for meat, just that our basic physical design is for the consumption of meat in addition to fruits, nuts and vegetables. We are not naturally vegetarians as a species. We are also not naturally grain eaters as grain consumption is only a few thousand years old as compared to several hundred thousand (or more) years of eating meat, fruits, nuts and vegetables.

Posted 2009-07-31 2:59 PM (#117318 - in reply to #117264)

Jim, where does beer, especially Guinness, fall into that timeline?
veggiepose
Posted 2009-07-31 3:24 PM (#117319 - in reply to #117264)

Jimg, I hate to contradict you, but you're wrong. We as humans were actually designed for the consumption of plants, grains, etc... We also are the only species who drink milk after weening. And I assume you are joking about the bowel movement thing?
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-07-31 3:43 PM (#117320 - in reply to #117264)

A couple of points: it's not clear that we were designed at all, much less to do anything specific. Humans, for the most part, are omnivores. And we often are capable of choosing what we eat.

Dogs and cats both like milk. How do you figure that humans are the only ones who continue to drink it?

yoga-addict
Posted 2009-07-31 4:45 PM (#117323 - in reply to #117264)

Veteran

I am vegetarian and don't eat much dairy or eggs. I've read that humans have longer intestines- like vegetarian animals. We have flat grinding teeth- like vegetarian animals. Also just looking at the meat industry and the incredibly cruel and horrible conditions the animals are raised in and then slaughtered in should make anyone at least consider reducing their meat consumption. All those antibiotics and drugs they feed the animals goes right into the eater of those animals. Heart disease and cancer are rampant in the US and heart disease is directly linked to cholestorol which is mostly found in meat.

Posted 2009-07-31 6:26 PM (#117324 - in reply to #117319)

veggiepose - 2009-07-31 12:24 PM

Jimg, I hate to contradict you, but you're wrong. We as humans were actually designed for the consumption of plants, grains, etc... We also are the only species who drink milk after weening. And I assume you are joking about the bowel movement thing?

I was not joking. Have you noticed that house pets are all carnivorous like cats and dogs because they can control when and where they have bowel movements? Can you name me a non-meat eating animal that can control their bowels or a meat eater that cannot?

Posted 2009-07-31 6:40 PM (#117325 - in reply to #117323)

yoga-addict - 2009-07-31 1:45 PM

We have flat grinding teeth- like vegetarian animals.

Also just looking at the meat industry and the incredibly cruel and horrible conditions the animals are raised in and then slaughtered in should make anyone at least consider reducing their meat consumption. All those antibiotics and drugs they feed the animals goes right into the eater of those animals.

Heart disease and cancer are rampant in the US and heart disease is directly linked to cholestorol which is mostly found in meat.

We also have canines, whose only purpose it to rip meat.

Yes, you are absolutely correct in that meat factories are cruel and unhealthy. There are alternative sources of meat to meat factory meat. Farmed fish is the same, but you can eat wild fish.

Many countries eat more meat than the US and have much lower rates of heart disease and cancer. We (Americans) are not unhealthy because we eat meat. We are unhealthy because we eat unhealthy food in unhealthy amounts and don't exercise enough. We eat too much processed food, too much fat, too much sugar, too much salt, too many chemicals, and generally food that is produced or grown in unhealthy ways.

Bottom line, eating meat is not bad and being a vegetarian is also not bad, although both can be done in unhealthy ways. Yes, you are killing an animal to eat meat, but you are also killing a carrot by eating it alive!

Posted 2009-07-31 7:02 PM (#117326 - in reply to #117264)

my grand-dad couldn't control his bowel movements, and he ate hella meat.
veggiepose
Posted 2009-07-31 8:03 PM (#117328 - in reply to #117264)

Duffy, dogs and cats drink it because they are given it by humans, not because they need it or necessarily desire it. No other species continues to take milk after they have received sufficient from their mother.

It amazes me how meat eaters always have to justify why they eat meat. For God's sake, if you like it, eat it. Don't try to say that because I eat meat, I can control my bowels or some other lunacy.
veggiepose
Posted 2009-07-31 8:04 PM (#117329 - in reply to #117264)

...and last I checked, a carrot didn't have a central nervous system.
Ram
Posted 2009-07-31 8:23 PM (#117330 - in reply to #117328)

veggiepose - 2009-07-31 8:03 PM
It amazes me how meat eaters always have to justify why they eat meat. For God's sake, if you like it, eat it. .

And if you like being a vegan why dont you keep it to yourself?

I have experimented with the whole spectrum of diets in my life. Vegetarian, non dairy, heavy meat consumption.

What I found is vegans are the unhealthiest people. They are often very neurotic people who believe they are superior to others. They also suffer from a lot of health issues. People who eat blindly, lot of meat and processed food are also very unhealthy.

I think a diet high in live foods is best. But eating meat in moderation is good for you. Organic free range meat.

Posted 2009-07-31 9:50 PM (#117333 - in reply to #117328)

veggiepose - 2009-07-31 5:03 PM

Duffy, dogs and cats drink it because they are given it by humans, not because they need it or necessarily desire it. No other species continues to take milk after they have received sufficient from their mother.

It amazes me how meat eaters always have to justify why they eat meat. For God's sake, if you like it, eat it. Don't try to say that because I eat meat, I can control my bowels or some other lunacy.

I did not say that individuals who do not eat meat cannot control their bowels. Please re-read. I said that species who do not eat meat cannot control their their bowels. This is a fact. Think about it. If you are a hunter species and stalking an animal, you cannot afford to suddenly do a dump and let your prey know of your existence.

Posted 2009-07-31 9:55 PM (#117334 - in reply to #117329)

veggiepose - 2009-07-31 5:04 PM

...and last I checked, a carrot didn't have a central nervous system.

Why is it OK to eat things that do not have a central nervous system but wrong to eat life forms that do? Is it because life forms with nervous systems are more like us and our self-centered, nervous-system centric world view says it is perfectly fine to eat beings that are different?

Posted 2009-07-31 11:07 PM (#117335 - in reply to #117326)

dhanurasana - 2009-07-31 4:02 PM

my grand-dad couldn't control his bowel movements, and he ate hella meat.

WIN.

Posted 2009-08-01 12:38 AM (#117338 - in reply to #117319)

veggiepose - 2009-07-31 2:24 PM

Jimg, I assume you are joking about the bowel movement thing?

veggie, you should know that jim has never once made a joke.

i wonder if you thought you would encounter this much opposition.
there is some sort of expectation that a majority of yoga practitioners are vegetarians. i have found this not to be the case.
maybe you knew you would encounter this opposition?
why do people think fish isn't meat?
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-08-01 4:03 AM (#117343 - in reply to #117264)

Veteran

"Why is it OK to eat things that do not have a central nervous system but wrong to eat life forms that do?"
ahimsa. If you are eating things that do not have a central nervous system you are causing less harm.

I also agree that everyone should respect the wishes of others- I think there are good reasons for being a vegetarian, and I'm happy to post it here, but I wouldn't want to push my ideas on others.
lockdaknee
Posted 2009-08-01 11:51 AM (#117356 - in reply to #117264)

Regular

that writer pollan has a good mantra for eating. he says 'eat food, not a lot, mostly plants.'.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?pagewanted=print

Posted 2009-08-01 3:34 PM (#117362 - in reply to #117343)

yoga-addict - 2009-08-01 1:03 AM

"Why is it OK to eat things that do not have a central nervous system but wrong to eat life forms that do?"
ahimsa. If you are eating things that do not have a central nervous system you are causing less harm.

This is not true if you are the carrot.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)