YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yogi? Vegan?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

veggiepose
Posted 2009-08-01 6:29 PM (#117369 - in reply to #117264)
Subject: Re: Yogi? Vegan?

LOL. Geez people, I simply asked if there were other vegans in my area. I didn't mean to cause a ruckus, but I guess I "should keep it to myself." That said, I am a little comfused as to what JIMG's point is. The converse to his argument is that if horses, cows, elephants, etc ate meat they would all stop plopping all over the place. Likewise, if dogs and cats ate a plant based diet, they would all of a sudden let go all over everything (by the way, many dogs and cats are raised vegetarian and many are even housebroken), and we humans who don't eat meat? Do we go around soiling our drawers? Again I ask, are there any other vegans who practice Bikram in the L. A. area?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Andre
Posted 2009-08-01 7:20 PM (#117372 - in reply to #117264)

Extreme Veteran

I don't think it's an unreasonable question. And I didn't see simply asking about it as forcing one's view upon another. Now that folks have had their say, maybe you'll get some responses.

Posted 2009-08-01 9:33 PM (#117377 - in reply to #117369)

veggiepose - 2009-08-01 3:29 PM

I am a little comfused as to what JIMG's point is. The converse to his argument is that if horses, cows, elephants, etc ate meat they would all stop plopping all over the place. Likewise, if dogs and cats ate a plant based diet, they would all of a sudden let go all over everything (by the way, many dogs and cats are raised vegetarian and many are even housebroken), and we humans who don't eat meat? Do we go around soiling our drawers?

Since I obviously didn't make myself very clear:

If horses started hunting and eating meat (which is of course highly unlikely), over thousands of years, natural selection would favor those horses who could control their bowels over those who could not and eventually, horses would all have this ability (in addition to teeth and a digestive system that could chew and digest meat). This is true for all species over great periods of time. I was only sharing an interesting, though trivial, fact about where we as a species are coming from.

We don't "soil our drawers" when we don't eat meat because not eating meat does not change our design from millions of years of being hunters and meat eaters. Bowel control is a necessary trait for hunting animals and all hunter species have it, despite the fact that some individuals may lose this ability due to age, disease or trauma. It serves no useful purpose for herbivores, although multiple stomachs serve them well. We are tied to the past but we are making the future.

My point was to share a bit of trivia that I found interesting, not to promote or condemn the dietary choices of others and I apologize if anyone felt attacked.

Posted 2009-08-01 11:09 PM (#117380 - in reply to #117369)

veggiepose - 2009-08-01 5:29 PM

LOL. Geez people, I simply asked if there were other vegans in my area. I didn't mean to cause a ruckus, but I guess I "should keep it to myself." That said, I am a little comfused as to what JIMG's point is. The converse to his argument is that if horses, cows, elephants, etc ate meat they would all stop plopping all over the place. Likewise, if dogs and cats ate a plant based diet, they would all of a sudden let go all over everything (by the way, many dogs and cats are raised vegetarian and many are even housebroken), and we humans who don't eat meat? Do we go around soiling our drawers? Again I ask, are there any other vegans who practice Bikram in the L. A. area?

he's talking about meat and plant eating species as a whole...
not individuals within the species.
lifeisgood
Posted 2009-08-01 11:10 PM (#117381 - in reply to #117264)
Subject: RE: Yogi? Vegan?

I eat whatever sits well with my body, and don't try to conform to any one particular "food lifestyle." Though, if I really were to put a label on my eating habits, I would be "almost completely vegan." Dairy makes me violently sick so I avoid it at all costs. I don't eat meat or eggs straight simply because the taste does not appeal to me. However, I do not go out of my way to be overly picky - if there's a sugary treat that I like, I'll eat it and enjoy it without worrying whether or not it contains small traces of gelatin or whatever.
yoga-addict
Posted 2009-08-02 5:26 AM (#117388 - in reply to #117264)

Veteran

No it's not true if you are the carrot. Some violence is being done to the carrot when you pick it and eat it. However, without a central nervous system, the carrot has less pain and less consciousness than the cow when it is butchered still alive, as many are in the industry. Or the wild fish which has been hooked, pulled out of the water and whacked on the head.

Posted 2009-08-04 9:43 AM (#117437 - in reply to #117264)

our bodies are omnivorous bodies, so comparisons to carnivores vs herbavores is really missing the boat. we do compare to other omnivores though.

as omnivores, we are food opportunists. if no veg is available, we can survive and thrive on meat, blood, milk (see diets of arid placesetc). if ample plant foods are available (see tropical/sub tropical/temperate) places, then people tend to gravitate toward vegetarian diets.

but, i don't think the OP was asking whether or not they should be or what they compare to or whether or not it's moral, or any other thing.

just whether someone else *is* and so on.

personally, i prefer being vegetarian--so i am.
BD Cooper
Posted 2009-08-10 9:17 PM (#117564 - in reply to #117264)

Observe the Yamas and Niyamas, rest the mind on God alone, become a Vegetarian and eat lightly after 6pm, read the Yoga Sutras and the Bhagavad Gita, and develop equal love and respect for all beings- Dharma Mittra

Posted 2009-08-10 9:31 PM (#117565 - in reply to #117564)

BD Cooper - 2009-08-10 6:17 PM

Observe the Yamas and Niyamas, rest the mind on God alone, become a Vegetarian and eat lightly after 6pm, read the Yoga Sutras and the Bhagavad Gita, and develop equal love and respect for all beings- Dharma Mittra

Well when you put it that way... I think being vegetarian is by far the EASIEST thing on that list! Other than maybe the reading part. But I am already a vegetarian, and reading the Sutras is kinda taking me a long time....

Posted 2009-08-12 8:10 AM (#117597 - in reply to #117264)

well, that and eating lightly after 6 pm. those two are the easiest on the list. i like barbara stoller miller's translation of the sutras.
BD Cooper
Posted 2009-08-12 8:34 PM (#117615 - in reply to #117264)

Gluttons and epicureans cannot dream to get success in Yoga.

Meat eating is highly deleterious to health.There is little need for wonder that flesh-eating is one of the most serious causes of the diseases that carry off ninety-nine out of every hundred people that are born.

Meat eating and alcoholism are closely allied. The craving for liquor dies a natural death when the meat diet is withdrawn. Flesh is an unnatural food, and therefore, tends to create functional disturbances.

The animal that is taken for slaughter causes various sorts of poisons in the blood on account of its fear and anger. Always think of the evils of flesh-eating and the benefits of a vegetarian diet.

Mark how the meat-eating tiger is ferocious, and the cow and elephant, which live on vegetable matter are mild and peaceful. Meat has a direct evil influence on the compartments of the brain.

Karma is inexorable, unrelenting and immutable. The pain you inflict upon another will rebound upon you and the happiness you radiate to another will come back to you, adding to your happiness.

-Sri Swami Sivananda from the Science of Pranayama, 1935
joysweat
Posted 2009-08-13 2:18 AM (#117618 - in reply to #117615)

Bengal tiger strength. Bull dog determination.

Meat-eaters, both.
BD Cooper
Posted 2009-08-13 8:18 AM (#117621 - in reply to #117618)

Bengal tiger strength. Bull dog determination.

That’s admiration of those qualities not an endorsement for the human consumption of flesh.
BD Cooper
Posted 2009-08-13 8:22 AM (#117622 - in reply to #117621)

But I thought that Bikram very much enjoyed cheese burgers!
...the meat type not the soy ones.

Posted 2009-08-13 6:26 PM (#117652 - in reply to #117264)

Alexander I - 2009-08-13 1:37 PM
I noticed early on that my children as well as others' really get excited about meat, especially beef. It holds true for kids who eat little meat at home. I is amusing and curious. How do they come by this?

Pretty funny... I was raised in a NO-meat household, and I never had any desire for meat at all. It totally grossed me out. To this day, I really don't judge what other people eat, but I could NEVER bring myself to put a piece of meat into my mouth. It just doesn't feel right to me. I've eaten shrimp in sushi once and wasn't crazy about it, and that's as far into meat-eating as I've ever ventured. One time my roommate cooked this really nice white fish, and I wanted to try some since it looked great and fish is supposed to be good for you. I couldn't do it! I put it on a plate, poked at it, and backed out.

Nature vs. nurture... always a curious question...
joysweat
Posted 2009-08-13 6:47 PM (#117653 - in reply to #117615)

BD Cooper - 2009-08-12 5:34 PM
Mark how the meat-eating tiger is ferocious, and the cow and elephant, which live on vegetable matter are mild and peaceful. Meat has a direct evil influence on the compartments of the brain.

So tigers are "evil"? That's a leap, BD. C'mon, you have to admit that tigers require the nutrients available to them only in the form of meat to SURVIVE. It's the tiger's nature.

As children we're taught about nature's food chain, which simplistically might be:

grass ---> grasshopper --> mouse ---> snake ---> hawk

Is the hawk more evil than the grasshopper?

In the living world, every form of life is food for another. To each his own. The beauty of being human is that we have personal choice.

On a personal note, while I have close family members who are vegan or vegetarian and have myself explored various dietary abstentions (no wheat 4 me, merci), there's no doubt that my own teenage boys CRAVE meat. Much as I like to serve veggie meals, they don't feel satisfied if meat protein is regularly absent from their diet.

To me, the real crime is waste.

Bon appetit!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)