YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where is all of this energy?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

bent
Posted 2009-08-01 11:06 AM (#117355)
Subject: Where is all of this energy?

Hi, I just started my 7th week of Bikram yoga. I am going to class 6 days a week (taking Sundays off), and I have to say that in general I am enjoying it and getting a lot out of it. I am sleeping like a rock, gaining flexibility, experiencing a general sense of well being, and found it easy to give up the junk I used to put in my body (no more nicotine, alcohol, junk food). However, I am feeling pretty drained most of the time and am lacking energy throughout a good part of each day. The teachers frequently mention how much energy Bikram gives you, but like I said I am feeling pretty tired most of the time. Is this normal? Will it get better over time and will I eventually have more energy? I do my best to give each pose 110% effort, but I am considering backing off a little both in frequency of class attendance and effort in the poses to see if my energy levels improve. Thanks for your opinions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ram
Posted 2009-08-01 1:33 PM (#117358 - in reply to #117355)
Subject: Re: Where is all of this energy?

Believe it or not a lot of what is told to you in Bikram is pure speculation. Like some of the poses they say "this will help your spleen, thyroid etc". I take that with a huge grain of salt. While I have a lot of praise for the practise I dont blindly believe everything like a lot of bikrinites.
Are you sleeping enough? Mabe take a couple of days off. YOu have plunged right into the practise and it may be too much for you (overtraining). Listen to your body.
Ram
Posted 2009-08-01 1:34 PM (#117359 - in reply to #117355)

BTW after 2 years of 3 times a week practice I am attempting a 30 day challenge tommorow. It will be interesting to see how it manifests.
Andre
Posted 2009-08-01 7:08 PM (#117370 - in reply to #117355)

Extreme Veteran

Bent, I've never really bought into the need to go 5-6-7 days a week. I think there's a place for a 30 or 60 day challenge to rebalance the system. But after that, I think it's purely maintenance. I averaged about 20 days a month for about a year. That rebalanced my system. If you've been going 6 days a week for 6 weeks, I'd say you're pretty much doing what is comparable to the 60 day challenge.

My suggestion is finish it out 8 weeks. And then simply back off and then average every other day. This is a strenuous workout. I really don't think anyone needs to do it 6 days a week.

Posted 2009-08-01 9:21 PM (#117375 - in reply to #117370)

DJ Dre - 2009-08-01 4:08 PM
I really don't think anyone needs to do it 6 days a week.

You know I keep hearing people say that, but I've been at this for more than 2 years now and I feel like crap if I do less than 6 or 7 days a week. Just saying!! Don't say "no one." My sweet spot is 6 beginner classes and 2 advanced classes per week. But we all know that I am a freak...

Anyhow, my real point is that EVERYONE is different and everyone will have a different "sweet spot" when it comes to frequency. You might be a lunatic like me who wants to go every day, or you might find that 4 days a week is perfect for maintenance.

If you feel wiped after class, my number one suggestion is always to checking your BREATHING, and make sure you are breathing throughout the ENTIRE class. I bet that you think you're already doing it. Everyone thinks that. Check again. Especially in the beginning, it is really easy to hold your breath or loose your breath without noticing, and that will wipe you out FAST.

With all that said... yes, the yoga theoretically gives you energy. But that's not a guarantee. Especially in the first few months of practice, when all your systems are readjusting themselves, energy levels can fluctuate a LOT. Sometimes you'll be wired, other times you'll notice that you need an extra hour of sleep. You might just have to ride with it for a bit. I spent my first few months wondering "where the heck are these extra energy levels that everyone keeps talking about?!" and then one day, out of the blue, I woke up feeling like the energizer bunny. It's mysterious.... !
joysweat
Posted 2009-08-02 5:24 PM (#117395 - in reply to #117355)
Subject: RE: Where is all of this energy?

bent - 2009-08-01 8:06 AM
The teachers frequently mention how much energy Bikram gives you, but like I said I am feeling pretty tired most of the time. Is this normal?

Bent, there is much wisdom to be found in Bikram but you also have wisdom of your own that you must trust. If you're feeling tired all the time since practicing Bikram 6x/week, then back off, listen to your body, give it a rest, skip a day or two between each class and see how you feel as a result. Once your energy returns, you can always ramp it up again.

Ram - 2009-08-01 10:33 AM
Believe it or not a lot of what is told to you in Bikram is pure speculation. Like some of the poses they say "this will help your spleen, thyroid etc". I take that with a huge grain of salt.

One of my favorite CARTLOAD of salt claims is occasionally heard during Half Tortoise, when some teachers announce: "This posture gives you more relaxation in 30 seconds than 8 hours of sleep". How do they say that with a straight face?
bent
Posted 2009-08-02 8:16 PM (#117397 - in reply to #117355)

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it. I decided to take both Saturday and Sunday off this weekend. It's funny, I really find myself missing the practice on one hand, but it has been nice to get some things done around the house that I have been putting off for a while. Also been nice to really rest up. It is also interesting how sore I am from NOT practicing! I am excited to give it my all again starting tomorrow. Maybe I will go 5 straight and then take the weekend off again, or maybe I will take one weekday off, I will see how I feel.

Also, regarding "maintenance mode" of 3 or 4 days a week - if/when I do back off to 3 or 4 days a week I will be curious to see if I can still make noticeable progress in the poses. Without a doubt I have really made progress going 6 days a week. Hope I don't slow down my progress too much when I reduce class frequency.

Posted 2009-08-03 12:17 AM (#117399 - in reply to #117397)

Hey Bent,
I think you're making the wise decision in taking an extra day off. Feeling overtired seems like a sign your body needs more time to recover completely. I only go two-three times/week so I'm not in that boat, but I've thought of kicking it up to doing the daily challenge. I'm curious to see how it goes for you!
Andre
Posted 2009-08-03 12:23 AM (#117400 - in reply to #117355)

Extreme Veteran

FWIW, there was a day I was driving to the studio when I realized I felt I "needed" it. In that moment I realized I felt like shit and what I really needed was rest. I've heard from other people who also had the realization that Bikram's specifically, was being kind of a fix for them. I can't say that's the case for another, but I really had to examine what I was gaining by coming as often as I did, and how I was approaching this Yoga.

In short, I was in another rebalancing mode as my Yoga was transitioning from happening in the studio, to happening to all through my life. Bikrams is still my primary asana practice, but other apsects of Yoga are happening every moment. I simply do not need or want that intense vigorous practice 4-5-6 days a week. That's been my journey anyway.
jtho
Posted 2009-08-04 6:36 PM (#117446 - in reply to #117355)

I was also really tired for about my first 3 weeks of classes - I would come home a zombie. Then, I had a few weeks where I just felt "normal," and then a few weeks after that, I started to have more energy. Now I often come home and am bouncing off the walls. I think our bodies adjust in the time they need.

Also, what time are you practicing? My energy levels vary both during and after class depending on what time I am practicing, too. If you always practice at the same time of day, maybe try switching it up and see what happens?
GregJ
Posted 2009-08-09 1:43 PM (#117527 - in reply to #117355)
Subject: RE: Where is all of this energy?

I'd say greatly increasing (not sure what your current intake is) your intake of raw fruits and vegatables, particularly dark green leavy vegetables, would help tremendously with this issue.
dodgerroger
Posted 2009-08-10 12:16 AM (#117535 - in reply to #117355)

1. It can take a while for your body to adjust. 6 weeks of Bikram 6 days a week is like boot camp for your body.

2. you may not have enough nutrients in your body. You sweat out good stuff as well as bad stuff, so a lack of electrolytes might make you feel low energy.

3. Everyone's body is different. Maybe 6 days a week is too much for you. I go almost everyday but there are times I can feel I need a day off. I think it's good to listen to your body. Having said that, there have been many times where I go to class feeling like crap and feel great afterwards. In particular, I've gone to class hung over many times and found it to be a great detox.

4. My mom has been practicing for about a year. She's 60. She's slowly upped her practice from 2 to 3 to 5 days a week and only about a month ago was she feeling energized after class. As for me, how energized I feel afterwards varies from class to class. There are many classes where I get my butt kicked and many classes where I feel like I can do another immediately afterwards. Every person, every class, every moment is different.
Ram
Posted 2009-08-10 3:49 PM (#117558 - in reply to #117355)

I have just done class 9 in my 30 day challenge. I have never previously done more then 4 classes in a row. Suprisingly I feel it's been easier then I thought. I have no energy issues. I still work 40 hours a week and have some very long days when I do a 6 am class.

ONe suggestion is during a class if your not "feeling it" that day do a bit more savahsana.
Torqued
Posted 2009-08-12 7:09 PM (#117608 - in reply to #117535)

dodgerroger - 2009-08-09 11:16 PM

1. It can take a while for your body to adjust. 6 weeks of Bikram 6 days a week is like boot camp for your body.

2. you may not have enough nutrients in your body. You sweat out good stuff as well as bad stuff, so a lack of electrolytes might make you feel low energy.

3. Everyone's body is different. Maybe 6 days a week is too much for you. I go almost everyday but there are times I can feel I need a day off. I think it's good to listen to your body. Having said that, there have been many times where I go to class feeling like crap and feel great afterwards. In particular, I've gone to class hung over many times and found it to be a great detox.

4. My mom has been practicing for about a year. She's 60. She's slowly upped her practice from 2 to 3 to 5 days a week and only about a month ago was she feeling energized after class. As for me, how energized I feel afterwards varies from class to class. There are many classes where I get my butt kicked and many classes where I feel like I can do another immediately afterwards. Every person, every class, every moment is different.

I agree with much of the above.

Tonight will be my 104th Bikram class in 104 days. I have a lot of things that I'm trying to fix with the yoga... it seems to be working, so I keep going. I only started Bikram Yoga at the end of March.

The first month, I was pretty sore and sometimes tired. I managed to figure out that my tiredness was very much influenced by my hydration, electrolyte status, and diet. I still have some days where I don't quite get my hydration/diet right and class will be a bit of a struggle. For example, I have to eat a minimum of 3 hours before class, and it can't be anything too heavy. Anytime I've tried to "push it" and eat closer to class, I really regretted it!

I go to the 8:15pm class Mon-Thurs, the 6:30pm class on Fri, and the 8am or the 10am class on Sat and Sun. That gives me at least a full "day" (24+ hours) between my class on Sunday morning and my class on Monday night for recovery. That seems to be working fairly well for me so far.

It's your yoga. Do what works for you.
bent
Posted 2009-08-16 7:42 PM (#117730 - in reply to #117355)

I have done 4 classes/week for the last 2 weeks. I would say my energy levels are pretty normal now, maybe even increased a little bit. The only downside is that I am not sleeping as well (waking up a few times through the night, very normal before I started Bikram). I think 4 or 5 times a week is the right amount for me, at least for the next few weeks that is what I am going to try. I go to the 4:30 pm class almost always. I did the late (8:15pm) class for the first time this past week and it was one of my best classes ever. I even made it through the entire 90 minutes without taking one sip of water - never thought I could do that! Fun and interesting to keep experimenting with all of this.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)