YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Long time problem - is Yoga the answer?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

buddyhackit9
Posted 2009-08-04 6:36 PM (#117447)
Subject: Long time problem - is Yoga the answer?

A long story as short as I can. I had my back seize up on me between my shoulder blades about 2 years ago while brushing my dog and have had tension and muscle spasms throughout my entire back. I have always been physically fit and eventually got everything repaired after about 8-10 months with help from massage, accupunture, dry-needling, etc. I was able to start swimming and running, etc but then I fell down the stairs. This triggered everything again and I have been in pain with tight, spasming muscles from my lower back to my neck and everywhere in between. Lately, the majority of the tension is in my neck.

I just started to realize that I think all of this is being caused by stress, rather than the physical events. I have two kids under 3, which is great, but also adds stress, and most importantly, I am trying to make a career change in a very competitive environment and have been putting a ton of pressure on myself for about the last 18 months at least while I prepared and then eventually went through the hiring process. I am now at 2.5 weeks since I completed everything, but haven't heard yet if I got it or not.

Do you think yoga can help me relieve some of this tension? I am currently getting massage, dry needling and chiropractic, just to function, but everything goes right back to being tight.

Any suggestions on where I should start, and anything I should look for in particular or will all yoga help?

Your thoughts are much appreciated! I really feel lost at this point since I have always been active and now can't do many of the things I have always done.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2009-08-04 7:21 PM (#117449 - in reply to #117447)
Subject: RE: Long time problem - is Yoga the answer?

Expert Yogi

Hi Buddy - yes, yoga will help and the general answer is that almost any yoga will help, though I tend toward alignment based styles such as Iyengar, particularly for rehabbing injuries. I believe Anusara also has a similar focus. Look around in your area and see what is offered. Make sure the teacher has a decent amount of training. If they are weekend or two week certified, do run in the opposite direction as quickly as you can.
sarah_9
Posted 2009-08-21 1:46 AM (#117843 - in reply to #117447)
Subject: RE: Long time problem - is Yoga the answer?

Hello,

Yoga not only help you in keeping physically fit but it also help in soothing your soul and mind, and you know the root cause of your problem so why so worried, enjoy your life stress will do no good to you, trust God and trust your self things will be fine.

Regards,
sarah_9

Posted 2009-08-31 3:13 PM (#118052 - in reply to #117447)
Subject: Re: Long time problem - is Yoga the answer?

Hello Buddy,

It is only the yoga appropriate for you that will be therapeutic in nature. Yoga is not inherently good and that is exacerbated by a western approach that opts not to teach students the requisite Yamas and Niyamas before the physical practice. Where the student is led (by the asana practice) is not only one place or one direction.

Therapeutic issues, like the one(s) you are outlining, mandate a therapeutic approach. The local fitness center's "Yoga" class is almost universally not therapeutic. Of course there can be some very good teachers teaching in such venues, however the availability of props, the length of time, the mission of the center in offering the class, cleanliness, quiet, and a therapeutically trained teacher all come to bear on the offering. so "no", all iterations or expressions of yoga are not the same.

In Purna Yoga, the yoga in which I train, practice, and teach, we learn that the approach to healing is a three-prong approach. In order to fully deal with these sorts of issues asana/pranayama, lifestyle/nutrition, and emotions (via meditation) must be addressed. It is why the word "purna" is used as it means whole or complete.

Bear in mind that no problem is solved by the consciousness that created it and one has to DO some things and STOP doing others.

gordon

Edited by purnayoga 2009-08-31 3:20 PM
vibes
Posted 2009-12-04 7:08 PM (#119734 - in reply to #117447)

Extreme Veteran

Nothing will help unless you become very interested in yourself and in yoga. Many people think that if they practise a yoga pose or a sequence or a breath control technique daly or weekly they will improve.Yes maybe it will be a huge temporary help. However you have got to take what you learn outside of a yoga session into your life. In the same way people get stressed and go for a massage which is of huge benefit. However the problems of stress and lifestyle will catch up with them. We cannot run away from ourselves. Some people dont like to discover themselves because they want to be in a comfort zone and rely on experts. Or to go to a class where you just copy the teacher withut and self awareness. However you know yourself more than any expert and if you pay attention to yourself and become very interested in your yoga practise (without just doing it for the sake of having a routine to temporarily relieve stress) then you shall benefit so much.
kieranee
Posted 2009-12-06 7:13 AM (#119765 - in reply to #119734)

vibes - 2009-12-04 7:08 PM

Nothing will help unless you become very interested in yourself and in yoga. Many people think that if they practise a yoga pose or a sequence or a breath control technique daly or weekly they will improve.Yes maybe it will be a huge temporary help. However you have got to take what you learn outside of a yoga session into your life. In the same way people get stressed and go for a massage which is of huge benefit. However the problems of stress and lifestyle will catch up with them. We cannot run away from ourselves. Some people dont like to discover themselves because they want to be in a comfort zone and rely on experts. Or to go to a class where you just copy the teacher withut and self awareness. However you know yourself more than any expert and if you pay attention to yourself and become very interested in your yoga practise (without just doing it for the sake of having a routine to temporarily relieve stress) then you shall benefit so much.

Thank you for this wisdom.
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-01-15 1:51 AM (#211285 - in reply to #117447)

Veteran

As far as I know Yoga is very good for holistic healing. Just try it with yourself and see the result.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)