YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Learning focus and tolerance in class
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Angelica
Posted 2009-08-06 6:33 PM (#117485)
Subject: Learning focus and tolerance in class

It never ceases to amaze me how much more than just "poses" I am learning in class. I used to get so irritated by people's constant gutteral throat clearing and other such phlegm related noises and wouldn't you know it - every class I went to had phlegm meisters up the ying yang!!! One day I mentioned it to a friend who had been doing Bikram's for many years and she said she never noticed it. She kindly suggested that maybe there was a lot more than just strength and flexibility for me to learn. It was such an eye opener but I paid attention to what she said and really worked on letting go of judgement etc. and now I don't notice it either. That's not to say there aren't other things I still have to let go of noticing - ah - the multi faceted Bikram Yoga Class!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Angelica
Posted 2009-08-06 6:45 PM (#117488 - in reply to #117485)
Subject: Re: Learning focus and tolerance in class

You are so right Carson - I should have added how much all this stuff we learn in class carries through to everyday goings on!!

Posted 2009-08-06 7:44 PM (#117492 - in reply to #117485)

Hit the nail right on the head with this one!!

This is probably where Bikram yoga has had the biggest effect on my life OUTSIDE of class. The practice puts you through this total wringer, where you're hot, your uncomfortable, you're sweaty, your nose itches, the teacher won't stop talking, people are moving around and making weird noises, and everything just pisses you off. Once you learn to be calm, focused, and meditative THERE.. you can be centered ANYWHERE. As Bikram always says: Nobody can steal your peace.

And after all, the yoga room is really just a microcosm of your life, in every way, and life is FULL of distractions! Gotta learn to deal with them... and man, this is a great way to learn.

It takes a LOT to bother me in the yoga room these days, at least as far as the other students are concerned. (When it comes to the instructors, I'll admit to being a little bit of a back-seat driver sometimes, but it's all in my head and I am always trying to shut myself up...)
Angelica
Posted 2009-08-06 8:38 PM (#117498 - in reply to #117485)

Wouldn't it be a trip to see a cartoon of our Bikram class with a bubble above each of us saying what we are thinking!! There was a guy in my class today who's whole back was a tatoo of a naked woman with Pamela Anderson size proportions. I imagine it was a little distracting for the people behind him!!

Posted 2009-08-07 4:21 AM (#117502 - in reply to #117485)

Oh geez... everyone's good opinion of my practice would go straight out the window!! I'm good about avoiding the EXTERNAL distractions, but I still can distract the heck out of MYSELF. I fell out of balancing stick yesterday when out of the blue I started thinking about billing addresses.

FOCUS!!!
amyf
Posted 2009-08-07 9:09 AM (#117505 - in reply to #117485)

Veteran

LOL I know I do this all the time. (in bow too!) I'll be focused when BAM hmm I wonder what my daughter is doing? or out of no where S%^$ I forgot to pick up milk I'll have to stop on my home. ect It is funny how easy it is to want to be in two places at once ..... maybe one day I'll surrender to the fact that is not possible and be able to just be where I actually am LOL
Ram
Posted 2009-08-07 2:40 PM (#117514 - in reply to #117485)

It's only the mind. If we "bought" into what the mind said we would all be nuts. I guess in a way we are anyway. But anything that stills your mind purifies it. The hot bikram room and the same 26 poses help you go to a place of meditation or the "zone" however you see it. If I had to make a suggestion it wouldnt be to stifle your mind. Just be present in your practise and keep coming back to this presence.
Angelica
Posted 2009-08-15 4:33 PM (#117719 - in reply to #117485)

Now giant boobs Tattoo is next to me in class everyday - amazing how we attract these things to us as soon as we put energy on them!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)