YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Awkward Pose
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

veggiepose
Posted 2009-08-06 7:07 PM (#117489)
Subject: Awkward Pose

Hello all. In the third part, when we come up with our arms out in front and knees together, I notice that some people, when all the way up take their arms out to the side, then down. Is this correct? Nobody ever comments on it in class.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Angelica
Posted 2009-08-06 7:18 PM (#117490 - in reply to #117489)
Subject: Re: Awkward Pose

Hello veggiepose - in the studio I go to they have us take our arms out to the side and then down as we are bringing our feet together at the end of the sequence.

Posted 2009-08-06 7:39 PM (#117491 - in reply to #117489)

Oh man - the DISMOUNT!! Good catch, veggiepose. That happens all over the place for some reason.

You ALWAYS should exit the posture the same way that you went in. No exceptions! And since the arms come straight up and forward when you go into the pose, they should come back the same way. They never go out to the side. Sorry, Angelica!! I dunno where your teachers picked that up... some of these little quirks just spread like viruses... very weird.
veggiepose
Posted 2009-08-06 8:01 PM (#117495 - in reply to #117489)

Well, here's another one, the other day, after 5 years of practice, the teacher told me I needed to lower my feet as I came up from the third part. I guess I had always went all the way up on my tippies.
Angelica
Posted 2009-08-06 8:46 PM (#117499 - in reply to #117489)

Thanks for the correction DJ - you are a fabulous wealth of knowledge!!

Posted 2009-08-07 4:27 AM (#117503 - in reply to #117489)

Thanks Angelica! I have spent a lot of time with some amazing teachers, so I've just tried to keep my ears open and take good notes! This is a lot of fun for me.

I'm sure that your teachers have fabulous wealth of knowledge, too, by the way... that's part of what makes this fun!! Everybody understands a different piece of the puzzle, and when you talk to enough people, you can put together a really full picture.
Angelica
Posted 2009-08-15 4:26 PM (#117718 - in reply to #117489)

dancingj - this week I paid particular attention to the dialogue in this pose and realised that I just assumed the arms came out to the side first. What the teachers are saying is arms down, then either to your side or back to your side. I flexed my eyeballs perriferally and noticed that other students were bringing arms straight down in front. So somewhere I have misunderstood the directions - now have to break the habit!!

ps: I just read your blog - it's terrific - am going to check out the Yoga Anatomy book!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)