YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

YogaWorks and other academies
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Sandy
Posted 2009-08-16 7:43 AM (#117724)
Subject: YogaWorks and other academies

Hello,

I am Sandy from Germany. And I'd like to become a yoga teacher next year.

What are your experiences with YogaWorks and their Teacher Trainings?
And which other trainings / academies did you like?

I am searching for an intensive training (for example 4 weeks sequenced) somewhere in Europe (or USA), and I would be very glad if you could help me to find the right one. The yoga-style can be a mix of dynamic and slow yoga (I like both...).

All the best,
Sandy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Karo
Posted 2009-08-19 6:43 PM (#117817 - in reply to #117724)
Subject: RE: YogaWorks and other academies

Hi Sandy,
sorry, I have no clue about YogaWorks.
It will be difficult to get a YTT within 4 weeks! The following studio offers a 4-weeks course, but you have to prove 6 month of continued yoga practice and you have to join the Barkan yoga classes 4 weeks before you start teacher training level I.

http://www.barkanmethod.com/hot-yoga-training-become-a-hot-yoga-teacher/teacher-training-hot-yoga.html
The studio I can recommend, it is very good and Jimmy Barkan is well-known in the Yoga teacher community.

There is another possibility:
http://www.aurawellnesscenter.com/
They offer different very good distance learning Yoga courses. Once you've applied, you will get any help you need in the course all the time.
Check it out.
Good luck!
Namaskar
Karo

Sandy
Posted 2009-08-20 4:31 AM (#117826 - in reply to #117724)
Subject: Re: YogaWorks and other academies

Hi Karo,
thank you very much for your response.
The first one is too far away. But the aurawellnesscenter seems to be interesting. How do you know that they are very good? Did you take part in one of the courses?

I thought that Yoga Works is well known in the USA. But of course there are many teacher trainings in your country.

Sandy

tashiyogi
Posted 2009-08-20 5:38 AM (#117827 - in reply to #117724)
Subject: RE: YogaWorks and other academies

Hello,

I graduated from a YW teacher training last year. I loved it, and recommend them. My trainer was natasha rizopolous, and she was an incredibly supportive, well organized, and gifted teacher. The program blends ashtanga and iyengar traditions and you get little tastes of prenatal and restorative yoga training. The training modules vary, so you may find an intensive program that fits your needs.

Good luck!

Edited by tashiyogi 2009-08-20 5:40 AM
Sandy
Posted 2009-08-20 11:07 AM (#117833 - in reply to #117827)

Hi tashiyogi,
thanks. That sounds great. After finishing the course, could you also teach a slower kind of yoga like hatha, or were there only dynamic parts in the teacher training? What about the script? Is it good?

All the best, Sandy
tashiyogi
Posted 2009-08-26 10:43 PM (#117937 - in reply to #117833)

After training, I have comfortably taught "power" vinyasa, restorative yoga, and a slower, alignment based vinyasa. I feel really at home and in my element with the latter. All of these are hatha yoga. Although we did learn about the complete 8 limb system of yoga, you won't be qualified to teach anything other than hatha through them.

I feel that the training gives you wonderful tools to understand anatomy and intelligent sequencing, which is necessary for all styles of yoga. You are also given a set of terms and concepts to use to describe the actions of the postures, which I find clear and very effective. I could also see it being perceived as a bit over-specific, it is based on Iyengar terminology.

best,
Tasha
CTyogini
Posted 2009-09-22 9:53 PM (#118570 - in reply to #117724)

I haven't personally trained at YogaWorks, but a friend took the 200-hour training. Her training class had upwards of 50 people and, as part of their certification final exam, they had to teach just two poses. Since this was a few years ago, I don't know if the training program is still the same but, if you plan to teach afterwards, I would be concerned about a very large class size and not very strenuous certification requirements.

By contrast, the 200-hour I took in Connecticut had just a handful of students, and we had to teach a full class (75 mins) to graduate. The problem is I don't think there are that many 4-week intensives to choose from...

Good luck!

Posted 2009-09-23 12:31 PM (#118592 - in reply to #117724)

A lot of the trainings you'll find through studios are spread out over a year, with 1-2 weekends a month. Month long programs you see more at retreat center type places.

Since Massachusetts seems to be in your travel range, maybe look at www.kripalu.com. They are pretty well regarded and offer a 200hr training in a 4 week format twice a year.

www.frogloyusyoga.com is also in Massachusetts. While it's a studio they also run 4 week trainings. And they list a few trainings in Europe. They seem to be big into trainings and while I don't really know anything about them, I think Jennifer Yarro has a pretty good rep.

www.eomega.com hosts trainings sometimes and is another place you can keep an eye on. You'd have to research the particular teacher offereing a training there to see if it's what you want.

www.sivananda.org runs lots of trainings all over the place (though my very first yoga teacher did his training with Sivananda, and in hindsight I'm not all that impressed, for what it's worth.)

www.himalayaninstitute.org is one in Pennsylvania to look at.

Most of those places you could fly into New York or maybe Boston, and the place will give you the details on getting to the center (which are typically located in the middle of nowhere.) Probably more to be found with a little searching, but these are places in the northeast that I can think of at the moment. There are lots of retreat centers in the Carribean and Central America that run programs, but that's getting a little further away. One of my favorite teachers did her training with Don Stapleton at Nosara Yoga in Costa Rica.

I would probably do a lot more study now on terminology and types of yoga to decide what you really want. Understand that while the term Hatha is often used to describe more gentle or non flow type classes, it really refers to the physical (asana) part of yoga. As far as Barkan, it's hot yoga, which some people love and others hate. Something like that needs to be chosen (or not) based on if it's what you like and the style you want to teach, rather than on location. If you're flying from Europe to the US, it's probably not much more time or money to travel to Florida compared to the Northeast US.

Posted 2009-09-28 2:20 PM (#118709 - in reply to #117724)

i think that kripalu may still have a 4 week intensive, i'm not sure: kripalu.org

and also, the sivananda ashrams in Virginia and where ever they travel to (bahamas) also have one: sivananda.org

Posted 2009-09-28 2:22 PM (#118710 - in reply to #117724)

wait, these were mentioned. LOL
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)