YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Toe stand
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

rm1214
Posted 2009-08-17 11:44 PM (#117747)
Subject: Toe stand

Hi everyone-
I recently completed my fifteenth bikram class (am 100% addicted!!!) in five weeks. I'm more or less able to do every pose, except the second set of toe stand. My leg always slips down my sweaty thigh as I try to keep my legs straight and reach the floor with my hands. Also sometimes my legs don't totally cooperate and bend and the instructor will tell me I'm not ready so I have been staying in standing prayer but am not challenged by this pose at all. Needless to say I get really frustrated around this time! Any suggestions of how to work on this?
Thanks!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-08-18 12:38 PM (#117756 - in reply to #117747)
Subject: Re: Toe stand

There's no reason to get frustrated. If you are not ready, you simply are not ready. Pushing it at that point can only lead to bad stuff. (Bad stuff in toe stand is most likely a knee injury, something you really want to avoid.) You may not find tree challenging, but from your description it also sounds like you have a ways to go in this pose. Is your foot all the way up to your hip? Is it in the center line of your body? Are your hips square, and parallel with the floor. Is your raised knee back on an even plain with the other knee, so that from the side you would see only one knee?

You can probably go into Toe Stand before you answer yes to all these. But, since your leg is slipping out, it sounds to me like you don't have the flexibility you need in your hip flexor to keep your leg in place. That is what Tree is trying to develop. Tree is a preparation for Full Lotus position. If you can do Full Lotus without any trouble, then I'm wrong in all the rest, and the problem lies elsewhere. But if you can't pretzel your legs the way you need to get into Full Lotus, then I'm probably right, and you still need to work on Tree before doing Toe Stand.

No matter what I say, you should still listen to your teachers first.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)